Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   My two favourite Italian Drinks: BRIO Chinotto and Latte di Mandorla (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/my-two-favourite-italian-drinks-brio-chinotto-and-latte-di-mandorla-533698/)

iloveitaly Jun 2nd, 2005 11:07 AM

My two favourite Italian Drinks: BRIO Chinotto and Latte di Mandorla

Hello Everyone,

Just thought I would mention these drinks for those of you travelling to Italy. Brio Chinotto is like a cola beverage, not as sweet - tad bitter taste to it. It's a great drink with a slice of pizza.

And latte di mandorla (translation almond milk) is a desert type drink made with almond paste, sugar, and water. Soo great and refreshing on those hot days. So far, I have only seen this drink in Southern Italy.

Enjoy if you get a chance!

Leely Jun 2nd, 2005 11:17 AM

Haven't had them. They sound great. Will you be drinking these in Calabria?

Can't wait to hear about your trip. Remember not to run your poor Mom ragged.

iloveitaly Jun 2nd, 2005 11:45 AM

Leely:
Yes...my family knows I love those drinks...so hopefully they will have some for me. I have sometimes found Brio here (Toronto) in specialty Italian food shops, but never the latte di mandorla.

My mom has already been warning me of my plans for this trip, she is definately afraid I am going to wear her out! But I have equipped her with a great pair of walking shoes and I promised her we will take breaks whenever she feels the need.

I will definately write a trip report, I have enjoyed everyones help - I'm going to buy a journal this week.

Are you planning anything for this summer?

Leely Jun 2nd, 2005 11:55 AM

I wish. I was in France in Jan. and Rome in May. That's it for me. I'm now officially saving all my pennies for East Africa next summer.

So I will definitely be living vicariously through people's trip reports until then.

Please do have a wonderful time. What a nice long trip.

AP6380 Jun 2nd, 2005 12:03 PM

iloveitaly,

Where will you be going in Calabria? I will be going to see my family there in a few weeks after some time in Turkey.

iloveitaly Jun 2nd, 2005 12:24 PM

I will be in Siderno Marina/Giosa, very close to the coast on the Ionian Sea. The major city we are located near is Reggio.

It is a beautiful, unspoiled piece of the south. Not many tourists, other than those of us who go back to visit family.

I hope to manage a mini-trip to Tropea too.

Where will you be heading?

AP6380 Jun 2nd, 2005 12:40 PM

Too funny! I think we will be in the same town, my family is in Gioiosa Ionica, but I also think it's called Marina di Gioiosa Ionica- is that where you are going? That is very random.

I did a mini-trip to Tropea in August when I was there, it's gorgeous. If you'd like, you can e-mail me at [email protected]

I have family in Toronto, this is all too weird.

iloveitaly Jun 2nd, 2005 12:53 PM

Wow! That's the place - I spelled it wrong. Siderno Marina is about a 10 minute car ride away. We share the same coastline. I never meet / chat with anyone who recognizes this little place in Southern Italy!

Where are you writing from?

AP6380 Jun 2nd, 2005 02:15 PM

I am in the NYC area. I actually remember driving on the coastal road in Siderno. My family members commented that Siderno has it's act more together than Gioiosa, it's a more attractive town. Stilo & Gerace are great little day trips from that area.