My Trip to Athens, Greece in December 2015

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people think about swimming in the warm sea when they plan their holidays in Greece. I have recently discovered that you can enjoy Greece in winter as well. I had my vacation in December 2015 that I have spent in Athens. Visiting Athens during winter months has a number of benefits:

- Athens climate is very mild. During my stay the temperatures reached 77 degrees Fahrenheit (about 25 degrees Celsius). The sun was shining and people enjoyed sitting at the numerous open verandahs.

- It's much better to explore the city's attractions when its 77 degrees in winter vs 110 degrees in summer. Climbing to Acropolis, Mount Lycabettus or just browsing the streets is much more comfortable.

- During the sunny days of December I went to one of the famous coastal towns near Athens to enjoy local seafood and even get some tan at one of the super cool beaches. The town is called Vouliagmeni and it's one of the most upscale sea side neighborhoods in Greece and Europe. I had a nice lunch at one of the restaurants there and went to Astir beach where people were sun bathing and playing beach volley ball!

- It was easy and non-expensive to get around because I used public transport. Athens has one of the most modern and cleanest subway systems I have every used in my life. The buses are pretty good too. Getting from the center of Athens to Vouliagmeni or Varkiza was easy and took less than one hour.

Read this post about my recent travel to Athens in December to get a better picture of what to do, where to go and where to eat: http://followmckinsey.com/syntagma-square/
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 01:44 AM

Thank you for your report and the link to your website which is very well-made and interesting, with good photos.

You are absolutely right - all Greece is beautiful in winter (you pictures show the oranges in the trees!).
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response! Nice to hear that. Yes, there are lots of trees with oranges I had a great time there.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 03:23 AM

Excellent report. Your report shows a much different Athens than what I expected. I may have to visit in winter.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 03:15 PM

This is a great report. Over the years I've spent a good amount of time in Athens during both November and December and those are my favourite months to visit.

I guess I've been lucky enough to travel to the city most months of the year but winter-time is special and your terrific photographs really highlight that (I struggle more with the heat now so no longer do I attempt the mid-summer months).

You were in a superb location too and perhaps, one day, I'll manage to stay at the Grande Bretagne.

Athens Metro is great and I agree 100% with your comments about the Syntagma stop. Wonderful!

Jon
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 04:43 PM

Very interesting trip report! I also liked your website and all the info that you give there.

Weather in Athens during December is not as warm as you experienced.. it is usually much colder and sometimes is even snows, especially in the northern suburbs of the Athens Metropolitan area.
This was actually the warmest winter ever recorded and i think that says it all.

The trees that you see everywhere in Greece's streets and think they are orange trees, are actually called Neranzies in Greek, and their fruits are very bitter and therefore not eatable.
The latin name is : Citrus aurantium
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your inspiring comments They make me work harder and write better trip reports Clausar, I actually tried eating these "oranges" once. They didn't taste very good
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 07:40 AM

Totally agree that winter is a great time to visit Athens if you aren't a beach person. Lots of museums and sights to see without the heat or crowds.

Glyfada, Voula, Vougliamini and Sounion on the south coast below Athens can be reached by bus or the tram. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and perhaps others will go later in the year.