Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My travel companion says"Enough Europe already" Where else would you go instead of Europe. Need some real ideas.

Search

My travel companion says"Enough Europe already" Where else would you go instead of Europe. Need some real ideas.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Simone

My travel companion can't take another trip to Europe again. Poor dear! We always go to Europe and we've been to every country on the continent several times. Im racking my brain where to go. See, I like culture and good cuisine. I also want to go somewhere a little exotic but where the folks won't get bent out of shape about speaking English. Only serious suggestions, please.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Ralph

How about Argentina? Great architecture and culture there. The food is pretty good too. You may have to know some Spanish, however.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Earnie

Hi Simone! Go to Amish country. It is so beautiful there and you will experience an interesting culture. Shoo fly pie is to die for!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Steve

Hong Kong. No problem w/ english, exotic yet familar, great cultural activities if you seek it out...

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:49 PM
John

How about Thailand/ Was there last year. People are extremly friendly and believe it or not actually like Americans. Food is excellent and all tourist hotels speak english as all major attractions do also.<BR>You will find a completly different atmosphere than Europe. Bangkok is a unique city though extremely smoggy. <BR>Beaches in the south are wonderfull.<BR>Try it you'll like it.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:26 PM
mjn

We're devoted European travelers who went to Australia primarily to maximize the value of &quot;fly anywhere in the world where United flies&quot; tickets. We loved Australia: rain forests, the Great Barrier reef, the outback, Sydney and wonderful people. We flew back six months later to visit New Zealand which was also incredible. Don't overlook this part of the world!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Kath

How about going to Peru to Cuzco and Macchu Picchu? Cuzco gets so many foreign travelers that Spanish isn't absolutely necessary and Macchu Picchu is a &quot;must do&quot; travel destination in my book!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Joe

Think of Mexico City. I was there last year for the first time, and the colonial art and architecture provides a fascinating contrast to North America. Here we think of colonial buildings as small, but colonial architecture in MC was baroque and monumental. Plus you have the pre-Columbian civlizations.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Carolyn

After several trips to Europe, we (a family of 4) took a three week trip to Japan last year. It was wonderful - very different than Europe but still a comfortable place to travel (excellent train service). The people were incredibly friendly and welcoming. We met more people and had more conversations in Japan than in all of our trips to Europe. My 14 year old daughter loved Japan so much that she is begging for us to return as soon as possible. To be honest, I'd go back in a heart beat.<BR><BR>Carolyn

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Daneille

I may be biased, but Australia really is a good option - if you can stand the long haul flight.<BR><BR>We have such a diverse country, with our outback, rainforests, beautiful beaches, mountain ranges (alps they are not) and big cities. Sydney is glorious with its beautiful harbour and temperate climate. And Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth have an amazing array of things to do.<BR><BR>We have good and safe food with virtually every cuisine catered for - you could eat food from about 10 different countries in one street of Sydney alone. Or some good &quot;pub grub&quot; that won't cost you much at all.<BR><BR>It is easy to get around with train and bus services and regular flights between each major city. Ferries in Sydney, trams in Melbourne.<BR><BR>For Americans and Europeans travelling here it also has the added incentive of being very good value for money.<BR><BR>I love Europe and Asia and America but there is certainly a lot on offer in Australia as well.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 03:12 PM
where to go

#1 Mexico<BR>#2 Hawaii<BR>

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Erin

My votes...Mexico, Brazil, Quebec