Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   My Space - Ever wonder what your fellow Fodorites look like? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/my-space-ever-wonder-what-your-fellow-fodorites-look-like-611290/)

Ronda Apr 27th, 2006 09:18 PM

My Space - Ever wonder what your fellow Fodorites look like?

Wouldn't it be nice to know what our fellow posters look like? Could we start a group on MySpace where everyone could post a bio and picture? I have no idea how it works so perhaps someone who knows more about it could fill us in - if it is possible, how it works, etc. Is this idea feasible or even good?

oobylicious Apr 27th, 2006 09:35 PM

Hey Ronda,

It is possible to create groups on MySpace. But I'm wondering if Fodorites will be hesitant to share that much personal information with the general public; they can of course limit how much they say about themselves and the pictures they post, but then--why not just stick with Fodor's forum?

Creating a group in myspace automatically sets up its own message board. I would be concerned that starting an additional board apart from this forum might be divisive.

However, I'm not totally averse to the idea. I'm curious as to what others' stance is.

schnauzer Apr 27th, 2006 11:44 PM

Sometimes we get to see what other Fodorties look like when they post their holiday photos. I do find it very interesting - I am usually totally wrong with what I think people were going to look like!

On another point but linked I feel is : How do we recognise other fodorites when we are overseas?? When I was in Paris last year everytime I was in a restaurant on in a museum I kept wondering if there were other Fodorites who's names I may recognise. We need a secret call sign/secret code word/ or a masonic style secret handshake - OK so you don't shake total strangers hands, just joking on that one. Do others feel the same way? Maybe the MySpace scenario would fix this problem, just print everyone's photos off and take the sheets with you and then ask everyone to stay still while you run your eye over each page!! (Not!)Just kidding but I was curious to know whether I was standing next to ..... from this forum.

PatrickLondon Apr 27th, 2006 11:56 PM

Nah, man of mystery, me....

Tallulah Apr 28th, 2006 12:25 AM

I've no objection to posting a photo. But you might have - hahaha!! :-)

Guy18 Apr 28th, 2006 01:45 AM

I hate to be a party pooper, but myspace should really be boycotted. Teens use it to bully other teens. They set up profiles for people they don't like and present them in cruel, unflattering ways. It's also something they are increasingly doing to their teachers. Myspace refuses to do anything about it. Create a space there and you can say anything you want, pretend to be anyone you want. The almighty dollar wins.

Neopolitan Apr 28th, 2006 05:30 AM

In my case, just google for a picture of Brad Pitt. It will be close enough.

Neopolitan Apr 28th, 2006 05:30 AM

Damn. I keep doing that. Sorry. I meant Zaza Pitts.

Neopolitan Apr 28th, 2006 05:31 AM

One more try. Zasu Pitts.

DejaVu Apr 28th, 2006 05:51 AM

I personally don't want to be on MySpace. I like the anonymity here. Plus my students would see me on MySpace and get all nosy. ;-)

Luisah Apr 28th, 2006 06:05 AM

Interesting idea, but for me it's like reading a book vs. seeing the movie. I prefer creating my own image of the characters.

Marsha Apr 28th, 2006 06:07 AM

Some things are just better left to the imagination ...

Nikki Apr 28th, 2006 06:09 AM

Yes, and that way when you get to a get together to find that someone you pictured as a woman is a man, you can see how poised you are when introduced.

It's happened to me twice.

L84SKY Apr 28th, 2006 06:10 AM

I like the anonymity.
It's possible that we meet other Fodorites all the time, while flying or in an airport. The couple that asked me for directions last week (I hope I was right) may post here. Or the young woman who told me of her upcoming trip the other day may have been a Fodorite, she was a good canidate. They were all nice friendly people but if I wanted to know, I would have ask and they could have asked me.

Marsha Apr 28th, 2006 06:17 AM

The Locogringo. com forum has distinctive coolers for their "Super" members. How about seed caps with "Fodorite" across the front?

suze Apr 28th, 2006 06:51 AM

You can post your photo with your posts on trip advisor if you want to.

Ziana Apr 28th, 2006 06:57 AM

We just had a school meeting about MySpace and such'es...
It is really a disquisting place to be at. IMO plus I don't want to show my picture so you all will think 'she is ugly ***'

Ronda Apr 28th, 2006 07:16 AM

Well, sounds like everyone thus far is opposed to MySpace. I wasn't very impressed when I looked around the site, however, they did have an area for groups. We would have to start our own Fodor group but then I believe the person who starts it would have to monitor it. Sounds like work.

How about starting a thread such as "Links to Fodorites Personal Pages" kind of like the Paris Super Thread. A lot of Fodorites have posted links to their travel photos on Kodak or other sites already. So you could Post your Fodor Name and the link to your pictures. Then you would not have to post a bio or your real name unless you wanted to in your original post with link. Suggestions anyone?

oobylicious Apr 28th, 2006 01:55 PM

That's a good idea Ronda :-)

I'll be posting my travel pictures from my upcoming trip as I go along (I upload to community webshots about every other day), so I'll let everyone know!

adamriemer Apr 28th, 2006 02:11 PM

Michelle, I found you on myspace,lol.