MY son is moving to London

Sep 16th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

MY son is moving to London

I posted this in the Lounge forum by mistake yesterday.
My 24 year old son has got a job with the Border Agency and will be working at Heathrow Airport.
He will be renting accommodation and needs to be somewhere with good transport links to the airport as he's planning on selling his car. I was hoping that someone could advise on the better areas to look at for living as I know there must be places he should avoid.
So far he has mentioned Ealing but I'm sure there are places closer than that which would suit him. He's a normal 24 year old who likes a reasonable social life - he currently lives in Leamington Spa so somewhere similar would suit him
Sep 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM

If your son is going to join the frontline staff, he will be expected to work shift, as Heathrow operates almost round the clock - first scheduled landing at 5.00 am, last at midnight, but delayed flights can arrive even later. So you cannot rely on public transport, and having his own transport becomes essential - he may get a motorcycle or cycle, if he is giving up his car.
As for where to live, many airport staff live much closer to the airport, in places like Hounslow, Hayes, Harlington, Yiewsley or Uxbridge, though airline staff often live a bit further away - like Eastcote, Ruislip, Denham, Gerrards Cross, High Wycombe, Sunningdale, though those places are expensive. There are quite a bit of rental properties available around the airport, and getting suitable accommodation isn't usually a problem. There may be house or flatshare with other airport staff, which he may soon find out, so getting temporary accommodation may be a better idea than signing a six-month tenancy (usual length) blind.
Sep 17th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Alec

Thanks for the reply and I'll pass this information on to him.
Sep 17th, 2009, 03:12 AM

Reading and Slough can be cheaper to live, but he will need a car. But journey times outside of rush hour is only 20 mins or so....but can he get a parking space at Heathrow cheap?
Sep 17th, 2009, 09:07 AM

I think his best bet would be to find something temporary for a month or two until he has a clearer idea of the place and what he likes and can afford. I would think there may be some staff noticeboard system where he could look for help and a possible flatshare. Ealing is fine especially for someone young who wants to go into central London on their free time. His colleagues can explain about transport options.

Perhaps later he can explain the tourist entry scheme and visa system to Fodors posters.
Sep 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM

If I was him -- I'd delay shedding the car until he knows where he is finally settling. For many of the places mentioned and especially if he'll be doing shiftwork, he'll want to have wheels.