COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My Rome Itinerary - Comments/Suggestions Plz

Old May 29th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

I've done all the research and am frantically trying to tie everything down. I would appreciate any specific comments on this in terms of whether I am cramming in too much or if I have extra time for more sights or if I've got geography problems.

Saturday June 14 - arrive 9:00 a.m.; visit Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiori

Sunday June 15 - Borghese Gallery, Villa Borghese, Villa Giulia National Museum, Church of Santa Maria della Immaculata/Church of the Capuchins

Monday June 16 - St. Peter's, Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel, Castel Sant' Angelo, Vatican Excavations Tour

Tuesday June 17 - Need something here; pick up tickets for papal audience at 6:00

Wednesday June 18 - Need more here; papal audience at 10:30

Thursday June 19 - Colosseum, Arch of Constantine, St. Peter in Chains, Forum, Trajans Column, Domus Aurea, Mammertime Prison

Friday June 20 - Nothing planned; need suggestions

Saturday June 21 - Leave for Florence

Things I don't have planned but need to/want to include: Spanish steps, Capitol Hill Area (not sure what all is here), Pantheon (does this fit in with anything above?), Trevi Fountain (by the steps?), Catacombs, Ostia Antica, Roman Underground.

Wow, looks like I've left a lot of stuff off. I would love any help anyone can provide.
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:41 PM

Ah, the best laid plans... Believe me, no matter how/what you schedule, something will look intriguing, a wonderful lunch experience will drag out, an amazing only-in-Rome shop will appear, your feet will get tired, and suddenly you're "late."

Just have a general idea of what you want to see in a day and make reservations where required. Obviously, sticking to a smaller geographic area each day is better than walking back and forth across the city.

But a few suggestions: Why not spend your day at the Vatican the same day you pick up your papal audience tickets? You could stroll through the Trestevere after the audience.

Read a guidebook to understand the sights on the Capitoline Hill. Consider a reservation at the Domus Aurea.

You can see the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon in a morning or afternoon, but don't be surprised if you're drawn back to see them again at night.

Finally, the best advice of all: In seven days, you won't and can't see everything. So don't even try. It's more important to experience Rome than to "see" it.
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

"Why not spend your day at the Vatican the same day you pick up your papal audience tickets? You could stroll through the Trestevere after the audience."

I had thought about this. Could I see/do:
St. Peters
Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel
Castel San Angelo
Vatican Excavations

All in one day? I have two appointments right now for the excavations so this might work out. The one on this day is at 3:15 so we would get to the Vatican first thing in the a.m., bust a move right to the Sistine Chapel, work back through the museums, hit Castel Sant Angelo, do the excavations, then pick up our tickets for the audience.
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

bump
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:41 AM

Have you considered day trips? There are many possibilities, but 2 easy and worthwhile ones are Ostia Antica and Tivoli (Hadrian's Villa).

http://www.initaly.com/regions/latium/ostia.htm

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/tivoli.html
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:12 AM

I think your Vatican day is too much. The Scavi tour alone can last two hours. I would do St. Peter's Basilica and the Scavi on one day and the Vatican Museums and possibly Castel San Angelo another day. You can see the Pantheon and the Trevi fountain on your first day as they are both an easy stroll from Piazza Navona and you have plenty of time that day. On one of your open days, I would see Trastevere in the morning (churches of Santa Maria in Trastevere, San Crisogno and Santa Cecilia in Trastevere) then go to the catacombs in the afternoon.
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:22 AM

When at the Borghese Gallery take the English language tour (late morning). Excellent!!!! Guide has obviously taught Art History college courses. Best guide we had in Rome by far. A highlight of our week in Rome.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:02 AM

I second the thought that Monday June 16th is too ambitious. I went to St. Peter's, the Vatican Museum/Sistene Chapel & St. Angelo's Castle all in one day and it took the whole day. Plus we were really beat afterwards. You probably could do everything in that day because I believe St. Angelo's is open until 8:00 PM or something like that, but it may kill you. I would save some for the next day.
Old May 30th, 2003, 11:01 AM

Hi
On your arrival day, once you stroll around the Piazza and the Campo, perhaps have a snack or dinner or lunch, there's not much to actually see there. On my first day, w hen I'm tired after a transatlantic flight, I like at least one structured activity that will keep me interested, moving, and awake.

If you have any interest in art or history, and you seem to, think about taking a walking tour with a group like Enjoy Rome, or my favorite, Scala Reale, if they're not already booked up.
In additoin to their 3-4 in depth tours of various historical sights, or one on the VAtican and St Peter's, they offer a two hour orientation stroll or hike (either) which is good for a first day activity.

I agree that I would avoid going all the way out to the Vatican twice.
Schedule your time there for Tuesday.

Monday, some museums are closed, but you could do the Forum and Colosseum areas.

Wed think about going to Ostia Antica,mentioned above, on easy public transportation. It is the remains of Rome's original port city, and in many ways is better preserved, and easier to visualize, than Pompeii. You could picnic, or eat out that way. It also makes a good break from city sights.

Friday: Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain, shopping, add a church or two (many have amazing art masterpieces), Domus Aurea or Castel Sant'Angelo (from one of your other tiring days.)

I have a long file on Rome; if you'd like to see it email me at
[email protected]
Old May 30th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Fountain of Trevi, Pantheon, and Spanish Steps form a triangle.

Actual you can add Piazza Navona to that.

Going from left to right you have Piazza Navona then less then 5 minutes to the right the Pantheon and about 5-10 minutes further to the right the Fountain of Trevi.

Straight above the Fountain (about 10-15 minutes) are the Spanish Steps.

These 4 can easily be done in half a day.

A someone mentioned above, seeing them once may not be enough. There are different times of day, eating, etc.

We were there last May and either passed or spent time at each sight just about every day.

Our hotel was directly behind the Pantheon which put us in the middle of it all.

We also passed or went through the area of the Forum several times.

But that's Rome.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Hell mdtravel, if you want to be ambitious and you're fairly young with a good set of legs, go for it! I hope you have a centrally-located hotel. On Saturday, if you're up to it, start at Campo de Fiori work your way north to Piazza Navona then east to Piazza della Rotonda and the Pantheon. Grab some wonderful gelato nearby which will help you take a nap. Once you're refreshed, I suggest heading over to the Trevi Fountain, work your way up north to the Spanish Steps then onto Piazza del Popolo before working your way back south along Via del Corso to Piazza Venezia, northern end of the Capitoline area, which highlights include Palazzo Venezia, the immense Victoria Emmanuel Monument (wedding cake), the splendid Piazza del Campidoglio, designed by Michelangelo, with the elegant palazzos surrounding it. You can get a terrific view of the forum area from Palazzo Senatorio.

You'll have covered some of the most touristed sites in just one day. On top of that, you will get somewhat acquainted with the layout of Rome, and you'll be sure to visit all those wonderful sites countless times again. In my brief 3.5 days in Rome, I saw the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and Spanish Steps on four different occassions and loved each visit.

Sunday seems like a good plan although I have no idea where Santa Maria della Immaculata is. I personally would get an early start and visit the wonderful sites in the Quirinal region and work my way north through Via Veneto to Galleria Borghese. After visiting the museum containing some incredible works, especially the Bernini sculptures, I would spend the rest of the afternoon strolling in the vast grounds of Villa Borghese along with all the local Italian families at leisure.

I agree with the other posters, better to visit the Vatican when picking up your tickets. Although it's doable all in one day, you will not have much time to take in all the wonderful treasures at the Vatican Museum if you want to include it with all the others. It will require nearly 2 hours just to simply work your way through the crowds, view the Sistine Chapel, and to make your way to the exit.

On Wednesday, after attending the papal audience, I would suggest hiking up the Janiculum for its spectacular panoramic views then on down to Trastevere and strolling around this wonderful area. Have dinner in Trastevere or cross over the Tiber to restaurants near Campo de Fiori or in the Jewish Ghetto.

Thursday appears ambitious but still doable. I'm just surprised that you left out the Palatine (next to Forum) and S Maria Maggiore, not too far from St Peter in Chains. I would also highly recommend Scala Reale's 4-hr intensive Roma Antica tour for this day. Best to cover Ancient Rome, including the Domus Aurea, in the morning and early afternnon before heading NE to visit the famed churches.

Friday, I think Elaine's suggestion of Ostia Antica is excellent. Although I haven't been myself (planned for next visit), I've heard many other recommendations for it.

June should provide you with the most amount of daylight to capture all the wonderful sites with the sun still shining but be mindful of museum hours. Have a wonderful trip!
Old May 31st, 2003, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

bluefan, here is a link for you to check out. I don't think this will take me long to see, but does look pretty interesting.

http://home.online.no/~cnyborg/maria...appuccini.html
Old May 31st, 2003, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Bluefan or anyone else, can you please elaborate on the Quirinal region?
Old May 31st, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

One more question. I cannot find the Mammertime on my map, nor on any of the Italian tourist websites. I can find a few things on the Internet, but none help me locate it on a map. Is it perhaps known by another name?
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone answer my additional questions above please?
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 03:13 PM

mdtravel, I didn't go to the capuchin crypts because I'd figured it would freak the women out, but it definitely seems interesting.

The Quirinal hill is possibly the highest in central Rome. Look at my posting "Rome Advice for First-Timers" for what I thought were highlights there: Palazzo del Quirinale, San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane, and Sant'Andrea al Quirinale. The obelisk and statues at the Piazza are immense and you can catch a great view of St. Peter's basilica. Check out the four fountains and other wonderful churches nearby...like the one that contains the Ecstasy of St. Theresa. Plenty of other sites within this region so check out a good guide book.

Hope you enjoy Rome as much as I did!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:01 AM

Hi
If you're going up to the top of the Gianicolo Hill as suggested above, stop at the church of San Pietro in Montorio, great place for an aerial view of Rome. And in the courtyard of that church is the Tempietto,designed by Bramante, it's a church-ette dedicated to St Peter as well. It holds about 12 standing people.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:37 AM

The Mammertime is kind of sandwiched in between the Campidolgio and the Roman Forum. There is a set of stairs that lead from the Forum up to the Campidologio. When you get up to the first level on the right before you reach the Campodoglio there is a small area, the Mammertime is on the left of the small area. It is closed for lunch I think at about 1:00 or somewhere around there so plan your visit accordingly. We were there at the wrong time and missed it.