Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My name is Kim, I am a laundry addict....

Jan 31st, 2001, 02:31 AM
Kimerley

In 1998, I drove my 2 friends quietly mad with my need to visit a laundramat every couple of days in the UK. To be fair I also did there washing! I can't stand dirty clothes....
We are now planning to Travel to Italy together for 1 month in June and they take great delight in teasing me about the lack of laundramats in Italy!
What are your must for personal comfort? I also wash and blow dry my hair everyday but that is another story.......

Jan 31st, 2001, 03:04 AM
Andrea

I have to admit that even in Cambodia I insisted on blow drying and curling my hair every day (just a little bit - not a "big hair" thing, just to keep me from scaring small children).

Jan 31st, 2001, 03:18 AM
ginny

I have to admit that I agree with you on both counts. I'm also an early riser, even on vacations, so it does not interfere with anything or anyone. Self-catering has been a blessing, no more searching for laundramats, we make sure the place has their own!

Jan 31st, 2001, 07:13 AM
jeannine

A girl after my own heart... I, too am a laundry addict, and have been concerned about this very thing for my upcoming trip to Italy this summer. Do they have laundromats in resort areas? I just cannot see washing out jeans in the bathtub. And I don't want to pack tons of stuff. Ugh!! Enough to make me cancel and go to Florida.......

Jan 31st, 2001, 07:39 AM
elaine

I think one of the major drawbacks of packing jeans (other than that they are not appropriate for every activity) is that they can't be washed out in the sink and hung up to dry, unless you allow a month or so.
Bring little packets of woolite or some such , even shampoo will do (it's a grease- and dirt cutter)and there's something to be said for clean clothes that smell like Herbal Essence
Buy the little plastic clothing hooks
that are like clothespins, or bring real clothespins, and if you want to get fancy travel stuff companies like Magellan's sell retractable clotheslines, hooks, and laundry soap in a tube.
One hint that I got from someone else, here probably:
if you bring uninflated balloons, you can blow them up and place them inside hanging pants and blouses
to keep the front and the back from sticking to each other while they are wet and dripping, clothes will air dry much faster.
As I have often stated on this forum, I am a laundry-doer also, and either I wash it out in the sink or I bite the bullet and have the hotel arrange for the laundering or dry cleaning.
It costs extra, but it's only for a few pieces, and I just build the extra $20 or $30 into the overall cost of my trip, even making do with a
picnic dinner in my room one night if I'm watching my pennies.

Jan 31st, 2001, 10:46 AM
clo

True, no laundromats in Italy, but lots of cleaners offer wash-dry-fold service for about 5$ per 12lb clothes washed.
If dollar keeps so strong...it's not so bad!

Jan 31st, 2001, 12:07 PM
sandi

No Laundreymats in Italy? Not true. I had one (thank God) a few doors down from our hotel in Florence. Tiny washers though. It was great. I also took along a small bottle of "Fabreeze" or whatever that's called..the stuff youspray on clothes or other fabric to get smell out. It was great for sweaters and things that you can't wash in the sink or laundreymat.

Jan 31st, 2001, 03:29 PM
Kimerley

I have even bought the laundry powder tablets for my trip... there is no drug to cure me.
My in-laws when travelling, put the laundry rope between the 2 doors in the rear of the car and hang their wet undies on it to dry whilst driving to their next destination! I'm not that bad!!
When I was in England, I would wash my jeans out in the bath and then hang them over the heater. When they were dry they could stand up by themselves!

Jan 31st, 2001, 05:04 PM
betsy

Kim

Here's some info that might be useful for you. Margo Classe in "Hello Italy! An Insider's Guide to Italian Hotels" gives the addresses of laundromats in the larger cities of Italy. For example, on page 96 there are 11 lavanderia listed in Florence. Self-service 13,000 L for 14 lbs. of wash, dry, soap.

Buon viaggio

Jan 31st, 2001, 05:30 PM
cmt

I do laundry almost every day on vacation -- in the sink. I may not pack the clothes I prefer to wear at home (lots of cotton knit for casual wear) because they take too long to dry. But coolmax blends, though not as pleasant as cotton, are tolerable for country hiking or town sightseeing and dry fast, and a washable light woven silk or synthetic knit top for dinner and city sightseeing can be washed and worn over and over. All underwear except hiking socks can dry fast, though I don't take the cotton undies that I might prefer. I take powdered Woolite or similar, instead of liquid detergent, because it's lighter in weight and there's less risk of a mess in the luggage, but I've also used shampoo or the shower gel provided by the hotels. And -- though I hate to use a hair dryer on my HAIR! -- I'm always happy when my room has a functional built-in dryer, because they work really well for completing the drying of still-damp clothes the morning after they've been laundered. I never, ever PAID for laundry service. I only once used a washing machine on vacation, but that was in Idaho after a wilderness rafting/camping trip in which there'd been no opportunity to bathe let alone wash clothes.

Jan 31st, 2001, 07:03 PM
Danna

we have apicture of my husband leaving a local laundry service smiling. Deception. The Laundress kept saying can we do it in one load? we said no, two times. she said, we'll do it in cold, oh okay. He smiles in the picture... not when we saw our clothes. One of my black linen pants made everything blue. OH well. My tan pants looked ok in steel grey, the peach shell never recovered! We should have used the coin operated machines!

Jan 31st, 2001, 09:16 PM
Art

Its been many years, but we found laundramats all over Italy. The problem that we had was that it was in August and most of them were closed for holiday.

Feb 1st, 2001, 05:08 AM
Bob C

One way to keep from washing every couple of days is to take more than
3 pair of underware.

Feb 1st, 2001, 06:04 AM
Pam

We once traveled to Belgium from Germany for the day just because we knew a great laundramat in Diest!

Also we found many laundramats in Germany had only washing machines and a centrifuge - no dryers. I guess you were supposed to use clotheslines.

Feb 1st, 2001, 10:20 AM
Ian

Last year I stayed at an Agritourism 10 miles S.E. of Florence - www.fattoria-pagnana.com
They had a couple of apartments with their own washing machines as well as a central coin operated one.

Feb 1st, 2001, 02:31 PM
Jerrie

Kimerley - I too find myself needing to have my clothes washed while on vacation (helps me with packing light), especially when the weather is hot. However, although I love the idea of doing the laundry myself in my room, I never ever do...there is always something more fun to do, and after all, am I not on vacation!?!
Here's a tip for you in Rome: There's a lavanderia right in Campo de' Fiori. I've used them twice (once in '96 and once in '98); and while they're not cheap, they are friendly, speedy and do a good job. Presto!

Feb 1st, 2001, 03:13 PM
christina

hi kimberly

here in florence there's at least 1 big chain who called "lava-jet" or "lavarapido" nearest the trainstation in via della scala, one in via del' sole, in via degli seragli and so on. they do have big washingmachines, the program dures 20 minutes, then change the whole stuff into the tumbler, same thing of 20 minutes and out comes your clean clothes!

if you want to buy here in italy a practic product, go for "presto tabs" they are packed in plastic (allways 2 of them), and in the box there's a net to put them in. you give them directly to the laundry before washing them. make sure that you have new papermoney, sometimes the automato who changes you the lire into coins do have difficultys to figure out the old money.

i too hate dirty clothes! the spray what was mentioned is called "Febreeze" and you can spray it over your clothes and after a while it will not stink anymore of fried oil .....

tanti saluti!

christina

Feb 1st, 2001, 07:15 PM
celia lynn

Kim: The baloon thing someone mentioned really works for tee's, etc. Also, I've found that the inflatible hangers really help, too. Spent 30 days in Europe with 1 22" suitcase! Did get my jeans and blazer cleaned once, tho. Have a wonderful time!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:42 AM
Kimerley

your all great with your suggestions, I am glad there are others like me out there! I now have proof for my friends!!
many thanks

Feb 2nd, 2001, 08:27 AM
michele

Kim,
You're going to Italy. Forget doing your laundry and just buy new clothes.
They are out-of-this world there and so is the lingerie.

On a somewhat more serious note, (not much), I used the Fluff and Fold places
or just put aside extra money for hotel service for items I couldn't wash in the sink.You'll be fine.

Ciao,
Michele, fan of fashion

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO