Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My Mom's one shot at Paris - what's feasible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a posting similar to this one but not quite the same. In mid October we are flying from MN to Istanbul with a day long layover in Paris. My Mother has never seen Paris but always wanted to do so. Our layover was supposed to be 2 1/2 hours but we managed to get it lengthened.

Here's our actual schedule; Charles De Gaulle, arrive at 8:50AM. Depart at Charles De Gaulle at 7:05PM

OK here's my questions;

1. Are their lockers to store our carry-ons or am I going to have to beg the airline to store them?

2. The one and only must see is the Eiffel tower. If we could add Notre Dame and maybe Saint Chapelle it would be sweet. What in your opinion is a doable itinerary?

3. Considering our route what would you suggest for a quintessential Paris bistro? We don't want haute cuisine. In fact we are so not haute cuisine I had to look up how to spell cuisine. Or maybe I'm just a lousy speller...

Realistically this is her one shot to experience Paris. I just want to do everything I can to make it as special possible.

Many sincere thanks, the turnip.

PS I promise to add an excessively long trip report after we get back.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM

how old ( or vigorous)is your mother and
how much are you bothered by jet - lag could influence your day.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM

I just saw this on another thread:

"I'm pretty sure there are no lockers at CDG (as well as Orly) due compliance with the anti terrorist VIGIPIRATE Plan.

I've stored my bags at Gare d'Austerlitz train station which is also on Lines 5/7/10 on the metro. It was the closest train station to Orly so I stored my bags there for a fee. There were security checks and x-ray scans for the bags so I found that helpful. I don't remember how much it cost but the size of the locker determines the fee - just a couple of euros.

If you're going in/out of CDG, you could do that with Gare du Nord."
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

My Mom is in her 60's and is in way better than shape than I am at 41. I think your point about jet lag is well taken however.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM

I don't know about how to handle your luggage, but here are my other thoughts:

Assuming you land on time, and clear passport control etc in one hour, I would take a cab directly to this restaurant, which sits across the river from the Eiffel Tower:

http://www.restaurant-cafedelhomme.c...esentation.php

It is not a classic Paris bistro, but it's an awesome location across from the Eiffel Tower. My wife and I had drinks there two years ago and took this photo from our table:

http://www.1955design.com/view.jpg

It will be around 11:30am when you arrive at the restaurant, so an early drink and snack might be in order as you view the Eiffel Tower.

After that, I would walk across the river to get a view of the tower up close.

Then I might try to take one of the scenic sightseeing boats down the river the the Pont Neuf, which is just across the river from Notre Dame. A short walk across the river and you will be in front of the church.

It will now probably be around 1:30 or 2:00pm. I don't recall for sure, but I am quite certain St Chapelle is within an easy walk from Notre Dame. I don't know what time the tours are, but it's well worth a visit.

Back in a cab by 4:30 for arrival at CDG before 6:00, even with bad traffic. Two hours to spare.

I really think you can pull it off! Good luck!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM

In this case I'd try to pack almost everything in your checked luggage and carry-on just a large handbag for essentials, instead of having to worry about storing carry-on bags.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Here's the link for baggage storage at CDG airport:

http://www.bagagesdumonde.com/Pages_eng/cdg_t1.htm

It looks like storage and pickup within the same day is from Terminal 2A or 2F. The minimum storage is 6 hours.

You will certainly have time for Eiffel Tower, Ste-Chappelle, and Notre Dame and some lunch. The last two are about a 5 minute walk from each other.

Depending on the day of the week, Notre Dame does a very nice free tour of 1.5 to 2 hours. It's supposed to be 1.5 hours but the volunteer guides are very enthusiastic and go over the time. Wed & Thurs at 2:00; Sat at 2:30. They periodically change the times but they are posted at the information booth to the right as you enter the church.

There will be taxis at Notre Dame to get you back to the airport. You might also consider booking a shuttle service to avoid the long taxi wait at CDG. I recommend Leader Shuttle (leadershuttle.com).

They will great you inside the airport with a sign, similar to car service. If your driver isn't there when you arrive there's a free phone number to call. This way you won't have to worry about delays in getting taxis. The shuttle is also a bit less expensive than a cab.

In case you don't arrive at T2, they will probably accommodate you in getting to T2 to check your bags. The driver I booked for my brother took him to a Parabas bank to get money so he didn't have to pay the fee at a non Bank of America bank and then dropped them at Gare de Lyon.

Have a great time in Paris and Istanbul!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM

I meant to say they will greet you inside the airport.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

dwzemens, i appreciate the suggestion but that is WAY out of the poor turnips price range.

Any other suggestions for lunch?
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Others with far more experience in Paris will offer a good lunch solution, I am sure!

Even if you do not eat at that restaurant, there is a plaza at that location with awesome views of the Eiffel Tower from a beautiful, elevated setting!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:25 PM

To leave more time for sightseeing, consider picking up a picnic lunch of assorted baguette sandwiches and pastries from boulangeries/patisseries to eat on a boat or by the river.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM

I can recommend Le Flore en l'Ile on Ile St. Louis. It's at the tip of the Ile St. Louis, looking back at Notre Dame, and has great views of the cathedral. Very old school feel to the place, food reasonably priced and reasonably good: quiche, salads with meat, etc. I took my two children here when they were 9 and 12 and they enjoyed it (as did I). Berthillon ice cream available for dessert.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Are you on the same airline from MN to Istanbul? If so, and if you are checking your bags, you may not have to pick them up and store them at all.

Consider taking the RER train into Paris from CDG. It's only around 8 euro per person. You can take it to a stop right near Notre Dame and walk over there first. After that you can take another Metro over to the Eiffel tower.

You might try doing a search here for "Paris Bisto" or on the www.Chowhound.com france board for recommendations.

BTW, my Mother and I are about the same ages as you and yours. We travel together often and are going to Paris (her first time, not mine) in October. We've talked about going to Turkey, so I'll be interested in reading your report when you get back.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM

First, you need to find out whether your bags will be checked through. If you purchased on one ticket, they should be. And, will you be issued boarding passes for your connecting flight from your departure city? You also need to find out your arrival terminal and departure terminal at CDG.

It may be easier and more convenient (CDG is HUGE) to take the RER to Gare du Nord and store your bags there. But, it would be far simpler to carry on a little as possible to preclude the need to store your bags.

Keep in mind that you'll likely be tired and a bit dazed and confused after an overnight flight, so probably not running at full speed. It will be critical to have good maps and know what you're doing.

If you take the RER into Paris and back, be SURE to secure your valuables (passport, credit cards, cash) in an under-your-clothing security pouch of some sort at all times. There are many reports of people who aren't careful being relieved of these items in the station or on the train from CDG.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to take the RER to Notre Dame. You will probably be in need of a good cup of coffee and a nice meal first thing. By the time you clear the gate and passport control, get to the RER station at CDG and emerge at the Notre Dame Station, it will probably be around Noon. You need to head back to CDG no later than 3PM with bags and no boarding pass or 4PM with no bags and a boarding pass.

There are any number of places near Notre Dame or Sainte-Chapelle for a nice brunch/lunch of wonderful composed salads, quiche, Croque Monsieur, or tartines (terrific open faced toasted sandwiches).

You should go to Sainte-Chapelle first, as there is usually a line for getting through security. Then, head over to Notre Dame. You will not have time for a tour.

Then, you could take the RER to Champs de Mars and the Tour Eiffel. You can decide at that point whether you want to go up or not. Sometimes the lines are very long during the day, sometimes not. If you are thinking of going up, the second level is actually the best for views and photo ops. There is additional waiting from that level for the elevator to the top (everyone must get off and change elevators), and waiting for both elevators back down to the ground.

If all goes well, you should be able to get all that done, but you may find you have to eliminate a place.

You can take the RER from Champs de Mars back to CDG, changing at Saint-Michel.

Again, good resource materials will be essential for efficiency and so nothing goes wrong, such as getting on the wrong train or going in the wrong direction.

It's also critical to be back at CDG with plenty of time to spare so as not to miss your flight.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM

I have to say I don't understand - actually don't agree with those folks who try to cram in Paris/London/Boise (!) during a few hours layover. I am a pretty seasoned traveler and I find CDG to be one of them most confusing and pain in the butt airport to get in and out of.

ASSUMING the flight is on time, (and I haven't had one yet to CDG that was) AND you clear customs quickly - unless you cab it back and forth, it's a lot of schlepping when you're likely to be jet lagged and tired, which is exactly when people tend to get pickpocketed or lose important things.

IF you cab it back ad forth you're talking about a lot of $$ - which would have been better spent taking an overnight in Paris and seeing the Eiffel Tower at night...

At least in London you have the option of the H/Express or the new express train so it's a pretty straight shot, and the language is the same.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM

Well. I don't know,, we are Canadian so perhaps arrive at a different terminal then you all do, but we basically get off the plane and walk through the airport.We haven't encountered any nightmares there yet( NOTHING is as bad as Ft Lauderdale Airport)
I bet you will be in Paris by 10:30 .
You could taxi or shuttle it, I am using a shuttle that meets us just outside the airport and will take us directly to our hotel ( car service) for 50 euros. Not cheap but easy,, LOL You could also take the RER which is cheap , and rather easy..

I would go to your one "must see" first. The lines for ET are insane, do you have to go up it, or can you just see it? If you can just see it you have it made.
As for eating just find a cafe anywhere, preferably a few blocks away from either ET or Notre Dame as generally the ones in closest vicinity are not very good. Most cafes serve good basic food, steak and fries, salads , etc. A restaurant will cost more and cafes are fun for lunch just to people watch.
The lines to get in ND look horrible, but they generally move quickly as there is no admission fee, people just shuffle in and out
The lines are St Chapelle can be long, but we only waited 1/2 hr last summer, so you may get lucky.
I think the ET, then Notre Dame and then a walk along the river and across the bridge into the Latin Quarter should do you. I would take the RER back to airport as rush hour traffic seems to start around 3 and you do not want to get caught in it!! Catch the RER from St Michel stop. I would start back by 2:30- 3 , RER is about 35 minutes.

PS Your mom is very young for you to be assuming she'll never get to Paris, you never kmow she may love so much she'll want to go for a proper visit one year!!
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM

I totally agree that it's quite daft to for a "one shot" visit to Paris on a layerover after an overnight flight. Especially if you have to bother storing bags.

I'm guessing you may have to skip going inside Sainte-Chapelle and/or Notre Dame if lines happen to be excessive when you arrive - but, you never know - which is why I recommended heading to the Tour Eiffel last, rather than cut your visit short at the Tour Eiffel to try to fit in Sainte-Chapelle and Notre Dame (which is spectacular just from the outside) and be unsuccessful anyway.

Over all our trips to Paris, we've never had a flight land late, and most have landed early. It's entirely possible to get into Paris within an hour or hour and a half after landing, but NOT if you have to store bags someplace. Storing bags will mean getting there and waiting in line, then continuing on.

And, much depends on the day of the week your visit will take place.

The major challenge will be dragging yourselves around after an overnight flight and that you really need to be back at CDG, with your bags, three hours ahead of flight time.

You haven't mentioned whether you will have carryon only bags or whether your carryons will be in addition to checked bags. If they are in addition, you may be able to check them for the next flight.

If it were me, I'd check the bags, and have only the absolute essentials in a tote bag to carry on. Then, I'd head for Paris via the RER.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry if I didn't give enough information on my original post. I really appreciate all your helpful suggestions.

We are all flying together on the same flight from MN and yes our bags will be checked through for us on our flight to Istanbul. The only bags we will have to worry about our are carry-ons.

We are seasoned travel veterans who keep all our true essentials in our money pouches. My wife and I have seen Paris twice so we are at least somewhat familiar with CDG & the RER so that should help.

I feel it's a spectacularly beautiful city but I have no real desire to go back. Kind of a 'been there, done that' sort of thing. It's just not our favorite place. My Mother has not seen Paris and up to now has only traveled internationally with us on turnip tours. She and my Mother-in-law did take an extra week, just the two of them, after our last trip to go see Salzburg so maybe if she falls in love with Paris I can help her work something out. I think for many young girls seeing Paris is a common dream. If you can make it happen why not? I know it won't come close to doing the city of Lights justice, but isn't it better to have at least seen Le' Tour Eiffel, albeit as a semi zombie, then to not see it all? I think it is.

You may disagree and I can certainly understand your reasons. In this case I'm going with the glass half full mentality - it's a trip to Turkey with Paris as icing on the cake, errr kebab? We are going to have the layover, we are going to dash in to Paris on the RER. It's just a matter of handling the logistics.

Loved the suggestion for Le Flore en L'Ile. The suggestion to make sure I have good maps and maybe even written out suggestions for getting to from point A to point B and especially for getting back to CDG are spot on.

Any other constructive criticism or helpful suggestions?

Cheers, the turnip
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 04:33 AM

If I had to "rush thru Paris, here is what I would choose. I agree w/ the person who said to pick up a baguette along the way versus spending your time in a restaurant - service is usually slower in Paris than you may be used to and your time is precious. Find an ATM at the airport and get at least $200 Euros before you go (the cab will cost you about $50 each way but a cab will save you valuable time trying to figure out the rail transportation from CDG)
-Take a cab to Trocadero, where you can have the best view of the Eiffel Tower and also get the best pictures. You should get there about 10:30
-Walk from there down to the Seine (about 10-15 minute walk) toward the Eiffel tower and catch a boat which will take you down the Seine to Notre Dame. The boat tour will take about 1 -1.5 hours)
-Get off the boat near Notre Dame (The time should be close to 1:00)- you can walk thru is quickly or take your time. (1 -1.5) hours.
-St. Chapelle is about a 15-20 minute walk from Notre Dame. If the line is long, get in the line adjacent to it and tell the guard you are going to visit the Palace of Justice. (This line merges w/ the security line entering St. Chapelle). Just after the security, turn right and exit two double doors into a courtyard "parking lot" that takes you to St. Chapelle. (By the way, I bought my favorite souveneir in the basement bookshop here - they were tapestry pillow cases.)
-Walk back toward Notre Dame and cross over the Seine (there are often men selling cute souveneirs all along the Seine here if you're interested). Cross over the bridge and walk toward the St. Germaine area. If it's anywhere near 2:00 you might be able to pick up a walking tour from www.pariswalks.com (check their website for available tours - no reservations needed).
Your jet lag will start hitting you about 2:00. This might be a good time to sit down and have a bite w/ a drink and rest. If you're in St. Germaine - try Le Preocupe - one of the oldest restaurants in Paris. Try to sit outside and watch the crowds. Don't get "hung up" on one particular restaurant - read the menus and if they have something you like, go in - the food in Paris is good almost anywhere.
You might want to take the metro to the Arc d/Triomphe and walk down the Champs d'Elysee (stop at La Duree and buy some macarons). The walk is all downhill from the Arc. There are also lots of places here to stop and sit to have a drink.
Before you go, pick up a book that has a good map of paris w/ a metro map included so you can make a good plan.
Have fun - I'm 56 w/ a daughter 27, and we have traveled as a family (w/ my husband), but this sounds like a special time for you both!
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Just a warning about getting into St. Chapelle by going on the other line. We were there in April and there was almost a fistfight between a security guard and a woman who was trying to do just that. They were being very careful about not letting the people in the Justice line go into St. Chapelle and saying how it wasn't fair for all the people who waited on the long line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -