My mistake, Aberfeldy not Abernathy

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Virginia

My mistake, Aberfeldy not Abernathy

So sorry about this error. My daughter, Ginny, pointed the mistake out to me. We are staying in Aberfeldy.
Sheila, are you familiar with this Market Town?
5th Gear Car Hire was suggested as a car rental place. Does anyone know anything about them? They close at 5pm on Saturday, hence the need to get to Perth before 5pm.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 07:04 PM
janis

Virginia - all the advice given previously when we though you would be in Abernethy is still good for Aberfeldy.

Except that Aberfeldy is about 30 miles from Perth instead of 7 or 8.

I really don't understand the need to rent a car in Perth. You could of course, but if it were me I would fly from LGW to Edinburgh and pick up my car right there at the airport. Couldn't be an easier drive from Edinburgh to Perth to Aberfeldy. Edinburgh airport to Perth is less than 40 miles then 30 more on to Aberfeldy. That way you don't have to deal with a small agency that closes early on Saturday and isn't open at all on Sundays. All of the major rental companies are located at Edinburgh airport.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:06 PM
topper

ttt

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Sheila

Virginia

I was away till Tuesday and am only now catching up.

I know Aberfeldy well, and indeed, did a week's worth of itineraries for someone on here, a couple of years ago. I have them on the PC at home, if you'd like them.

I know nothing about the company you mention. I've slightly forgotten the reason you want to pick up the car in Perth? The nearest station to Aberfeldy is at Dunkeld (well, Birnam, actually), and I guess you could arrange to get a car to pick up there.

Be in touch if I can help at all

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Sheila

OK! I found your original question and reminded myself of the situation.

Now, if you fly into Scotland direct you can get the bus to central Glasgow and then get a train from Glasgow Queen Street to Dunkeld. You could do the same into Edinburgh.

There are overnight trains from London, but that would mean you didn't get the benefit of the views. I think you may have to compromise here somewhere along the line.