My Life in Ruins movie - Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the ad on Tv for this movie and cant' wait to go - opens tomorrow. Greece has always been my dream and I saw a wonderful trip report on this forum from someone who was in Paros, Santorini and Athens. I planned to go last month but changed plans because i did not want to worry about a bunch of stray cats and dogs. I'm sure Greece was tidied up for the movie but it will probably make me want to go after all... it really does look beautiful - I always felt if I went I could return somehow changed. but I tend to be obsessive so dont' want to spend thousands of dollars and be upset about the animals. I am too tenderhearted to ride the donkeys even - i'd rather climb hundreds of steps!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Do NOT worry about a movie depicting "stray" cats & dogs.

True - they seem to be all over - in fact we saw books on Mykynos - "The Cats of Mykynos" My wife LOVES cats (&dogs) - we NEVER saw any that looked starving - lost - stray, etc. The Greeks seem to love animals - I may be wrong and there probably some strays - but we found most to be well fed - not looking for hand outs.

At the Parliament Buildings in Athens a dog even "led the parade" of the changing of the guard - what fun.

GO - GO - GO - and have a great time.

bbt
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM

>The Greeks seem to love animals - I may be wrong and there probably some strays - but we found most to be well fed - not looking for hand outs.<

We have spent many years traveling in Greece and have seen exactly what Vicky has written about (as recently as last November). To be honest, I feel Greeks do not hate cats and dogs it is just that they mostly do not see them as pets.

You did not see starving cats and dogs on Mykonos when you were there because tourists feed them. What you also did not see are the dying animals weeks after all the tourists have left in late October. Many Greeks have left the island too, having returned to the mainland at the end of their seasonal jobs. There is nobody there to feed those island strays apart from a few volunteers and their sturdy efforts are not enough. Sadly, those that perish first are the kittens born late in the season.

Joe
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Go for the scenery, not the movie. It got bad reviews.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Well I am going tonight with a friend and looking forward to it!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM

We enjoyed it. I would say wait for rental. I would give it higher then the D it got in the reviews. It is a sweet movie with some fun moments. Pretty much a C + but the scenery makes up for whatever it lacks.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM

We are set to go on a cruise of the Greek Islands in Sept, so we went to see the movie Fri nite. We thought it a good entertaining 2 star, especially that we were interested in the sites. A lighthearted comedy with several moments, and if a little predictible, overall worth a trip to the movies, which we only do a couple times a year.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 06:36 AM

I saw the movie this weekend. It was cute, but I mainly wanted to see scenery since I am going to Greece in September.

P.S. No stray animals are featured.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 06:48 AM

You don't want to go to some of the Greek Islands because of some stray cats and dogs?

Do you not leave your house in the US?? Are you afraid to walk down a street in Michigan or Kansas or California?

What do you do about all the abused animals in the US?

Getting upset about stray animals in a foreign country is hypocritical if you live in the US with its HUGE abused animal population.

Get real. You have problems.

Thin
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 08:34 AM

Thin, I think you are being a little harsh. At least here in the US, people can DO something about the sad state of affairs with our pet overpopulation. It is difficult to go to other countries and see these things knowing there isn't much you can do to change the situation.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Oh, so you are an expert on Greece, bettyK???

Unless you know for a fact that there are more strays and animal abuse in Greece as opposed to the US, then your argument is specious.

Thin