My kingdom for a room in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this morning I was printing out our confirmations for our trip and I suddenly realize that we have a bit of a problem with our confirmation for Rome. As in, we don't have one. Somehow I had missed the two line email from Albergo Cesari that they did not have availability. I am not sure how I missed it but it was one of several emails they sent right in a row which my email so nicely collapsed into one conversation. The hotel's online booking tool led me to believe there was availability and asked for a credit card, etc.
Good News: this is Rome, it is huge and has lots of hotels, it is at the end of the trip
Bad News: we leave in three days, it took a while to figure out where to stay in Rome and I am in a serious time crunch.

Anyone got a room in their pocket for Oct. 10-14? No? Ok, how about a hotel comparable to Albergo Cesari? Historic center, under $350 a night, 2 adults.

Moral of the story: Check your confirmations carefully and in advance of your trip
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 05:07 AM

The Cesari actually closed on us during the week of our reservation a few years ago. I found out just by chance here on Fodor's - no email from them! We stayed at the Torre de Argentina that year. We were lucky to get the two roof top rooms with the private terraces. One room was nicer than the other. We enjoyed having the terrace and were happy to get reservations at the last minute but there are other nicer hotels in the historic center. Many are recommended here and on TA.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want to stay in the same area, I would try Albergo del Senato.
http://www.albergodelsenato.it/

Check the nearby Raphael also.
http://www.raphaelhotel.com/en/Welco...el-in-rome.htm
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kybourbon. Unfortunately those are both booked. Hotel Duca D'Alba has rooms and gets strong TA reviews. It is over near the Colisseum. Others with availibility are Hotel Julia, Hotel Mozart and Hotel La Lumiere.
Hotel La Lumiere is near the Spanish steps but its reviews are mediocre. I have a few emails out to other hotels so hopefully I will hear soon.
I guess everyone books the same hotels because the ones that are mentioned over and over on these boards are booked.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Given you are in a busy season and have to book quickly, take a look at www.hotelscombined.com . That combines results from numerous booking sites into one, so you can easily book something that is available.

I would expect most of the popular places recommended here do not have availability at this late stage, but no harm trying. Hotel Julia is not far from the Cesari.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:15 AM

A couple places I looked into before I finally ended up at Albergo Cesari were Hotel Teatropace 33 and Hosianum Palace.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Sorry, I should have checked your dates on their websites before posting. I just went there and plugged in the dates and neither have availability.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Check out the Hotel Genio.

http://www.hotelgenioroma.it/index-eng.html

We stayed there several years ago, so this is not recent information. However, we had five rooms, which varied greatly in size and style. Ours was very nice and reasonably sized.

The location, right at Piazzqa Navona, is excellent, and the rooftop terrace offered great views and was a good place to gather.

Good luck with your room search!

Byrd
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM

How about Albergo Santa Chiara? In the same neighborhood and should be well within your budget.

We really enjoy the location as well as the rooms and facilities at Hotel Capo d'Africa. I would also check them out.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM

You can use www.venere.com to get instant availability. Just enter your dates, budget and preferred location (Navona or the larger Historic Center area). You can still come here to ask for opinions about available hotels.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

I have been using Venere in planning this trip. One thing I have noticed is that they often show available rooms but when you go to the hotel's website, no rooms are actually available. Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but it is incredibly frustrating to see a list of 20 hotels and maybe only a handful have rooms.

Unfortunately, with the exchange rates as they are, 230 euros ($350 USD)is the upper end of our price range. We would rather spend the extra money on dinner or sites than the hotel. Besides, we can always go have a drink in a fancy hotel.

At this point, my choices are Duca D'Alba, Boutique Hotel Trevi, Hotel Mozart and Hotel La Lumiere. I am waiting to hear back from Hotel Fontanella Borghese.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Have you tried RoomstoGo.com, Otel.com and laterooms.com?

I use all of them.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Sorry but that is ratestogo and they quite a selection available on your dates.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't forget to search sites like Expedia or Travelocity. You can usually select historic center after the initial search. If something comes up on one of those sites, you can then find the hotels website to see if you can get a cheaper deal.

You might also consider http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM

When you say Hotel La Lumiere, do you mean this one? This is my note from our visit to Rome, because we were attracted to this little hotel, on the upscale shopping street:

"La Lumiere di Piazza di Spagna (Spanish steps), has rooftop dining, is in an old mansion on Condotti street. More expensive than our Hotel Julia, I'm sure. www.lalumieredipiazzadispagna.com."

We were staying at the Domus Julia, and it was fine for the price, and the larger sized twin room. The Hotel Julia is nice, we thought, and would recommend it.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:03 AM

P.S. If they have affordable availability, the La Lumiere looked would be a nice choice. Great location. Elegant-looking boutique hotel.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

PeaceOut, yes, that is the one.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Try the Navona Gallery Suites near the Piazza Navona: [email protected] or the Convent Il Rosario: [email protected] Euro 94 per night with Breakfast & bath if it's available; near the Coliseum.
Good luck...
Som
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM

I was going to mention Santa CHiara that Kfusto beat me to it. Did you check with them? ALso great location, right behind the Pantheon.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM

You could also maybe try to rebook at Albergo Cesari? When I first tried to book a room, the website allowed me to book, but then I got the reply from them saying it was full. I then noticed after a week when I tried to rebook, the website said there was no availability. Maybe a week after that, it allowed me to book and I got the reservation number. I confirmed with them that the number I got was indeed a reservation number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -