Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My journal from my May Tuscany trip is now on line (Monica)

Jun 7th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

My journal from my recent trip to Tuscany is on line at http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/ItalyJrnl04.html if interested in reading it. Warning: It is long!! But I hope others will be able to get some ideas for their trip to italy.

I plan to finish my restaurant and hotel information the next several days; then will work on adding my photos.

Thanks!

Monica

Jun 7th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Thanks, Monica. I'm going to check it out.
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Budman, read it when you can't sleep!
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:30 AM

I enjoyed your report, Monica. The Bargello in Florence was also one of my favorite museums. I also bought a spoon rest in Florence and remember my days there fondly every time I cook!

Thanks for sharing.
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:38 AM

why cant I find this??? I type in the whole thing is that right??
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Monica, the hot water thingy was funny. Thanks for the tip.
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:57 AM

http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/ItalyJrnl04.html

Copy & paste the above and see if it works.
Jun 7th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Budman, the hot water "thingy" switch is located right next to the bathroom mirror light switch.

Statia, I'm glad you enjoyed the journal. I'm always afraid of reading comments from readers because they are so long. But I'd rather have more information than not enough.

Monica
Jun 7th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Don't worry, Monica, my trip reports get to be quite lenghty, too.
Jun 7th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Hi Monica,

Great report - it strengthens my desire to return to Italy next year. I think you're right about Tuscany in May. April is a bit chilly and rainy and June too hot.

Of the small towns you went to I've only been to Siena so you've given me lots to choose from. Friends went to Volterra and loved it. They brought me back a beautiful alabaster apple - you're right - the fruit looks so real, and I've wanted to go to Volterra ever since.

I'm glad you didn't go crazy with too many sights in Florence. I remember your pre-trip posting and how Reenie wanted to "do it all" in Florence. Next time in Florence please promise me you'll go see the Masaccio frescoes in the Brancacci Chapel.

I admire your energy to climb all those towers. Was the Florence dome very claustrophobic when you were between the domes? I just read Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King and would love to be able to get inside and get a better feel for how it's constructed.

adrienne
Jun 8th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Adrienne,

Yes, there are many towns to visit, so you?ll have to plan your trip well. There were a few other places I wanted to visit, but just didn?t have the time. Plus you don?t want to rush from one place to the next without really enjoying the sights.

Re: Alabaster. One shop had fruit in crates. Reenie thought they were real. They were amazing. I wanted to buy the actual size fruit, but my bags were already heavy. Next time! Too many wonderful things to purchase.

The weather we had in May was perfect. We were thrilled that we had blue skies every day. May is usually the month that I travel, as well as October. I would love to go to Provence one day in July to see the beautiful lavender fields!

Yes, we?ll have to visit the Brancacci Chapel the next time?and the Pitti Palace, and Santa Croce, and??

No, the dome area itself didn?t feel claustrophobic. The space is large enough to not feel uncomfortable. It was quite fascinating! I loved the stairs going up on the dome.

Monica

Jun 8th, 2004, 04:42 AM

I enjoyed your journal immensely, Monica. Now I hope I can find your photographs again. Thanks, J.
Jun 8th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

J,

Thank you!

You can view my photos here: http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=1429hxt...&x=1&y=-spq0jg I plan to put some of the same on my web site and some new ones. Hopefully I can get those done soon!

Monica