Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

my italy itinerary--please i need approval!!!

Apr 8th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

we are traveling to italy for the first time this summer--after reviewing this very helpful board, i have put together a "template of travel"--please tell me what you think--

day1 (FRIDAY)--arrive in ROME (9am)

check-in may be delayed until 3pm
Head out to the streets--VisitPANISH STEPS,SHOPPING< TREVI FOUNTAIN< PIAZZA DEL POPPOLO

day2 (SATURDAY)--ROME
VATICAN CITY
ST PETERS< BASILLICA<SISTINE CHAPLE< GARDENS
ETC...

day3 (SUNDAY)--ROME
MUSEUMS>REPUBLIC SQ>PIAZZA NOVANA<PANTHEON>

day4 (MONDAY)--ROME
ANCIENT ROME<COLOSSEUM<ROMAN FORUM<PALANTINE HILL<DOMUS AUREA ETC>>>>

we had to be careful of the days visiting vatican, museums, etc. because we will be in Rome over a weekend--

DAY 5--(TUESDAY)--leave rome in am en route to NAPLEs--train, hydrofoil, to CAPRI
arrive in CAPRI in late afternoon--relax, checkin

DAY 6--capri--any suggestions?????

DAY 7--in am hydrofoil to naples--train from naples to FLORENCE--
arrive in FLORENCE late afternoon--

DAY 8 (FRIDAY) FLORENCE
DUOMO<PIAZZA DELLA SIGNORIA<SAN LORENZO

DAY 9 (SAT) FLORENCE

DAY 10 (SUN) --depart in am train to VENICE
arrive in VENICE early afternoon

DAY 11 (MON)
SAN MARCO, DOGES PALACE

DAY 12 (TUES) VENICE

DAY 13 (WED) depart in am

what do you think--please add to my sightseeing--any suggestions-comments what would you change??add?? you thought are greatly appreciated--thanks!!LADYBUG
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:43 AM
mjs

I rather like your trip itinerary for a first visit to italy. I have not given much thought as to what you propose to do each day as I find this is something that often changes on the fly. I do however suspect that after your trip you will wish that you had just a few extra days for the same route. Have a great time.
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:48 AM
ira

Hi ladybug,
Looks like a lovely trip.

Do a search for "capri" and you will find one or two itineraries for the day.
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:56 AM

We did a very similar trip a little over a year ago and it was great.
In Capri we hired a driver one morning to take us to the other side of the island (we stayed in Capri Town) and enjoyed going to the villa there with beautiful gardens and great views (the name escapes me).
Apr 8th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

thank you guys/gals--much appreciated--i too agree with the idea of being somewhat spontaneous--those times are often the most memmorable--however--i dont want to find myself "paralyzed" with fear standing in the middle of ROME with a crappy itinerary!!!!! thanks again for any ideas/thoughts!!!!LADYBUG
Apr 8th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Ladybuy, you can buy a little book from the UK from the Sunflower Series that has alot of walks to take on Capri. I learned about it here and bought it on amazon.uk.
Apr 8th, 2003, 09:52 AM

Sounds as though you've done your homework...good job. Having a day-by-day plan is one way of seeing everything that is of importance to you.

I would just offer a few suggestions for you to consider. On day three in Rome, I'm not sure which museums you have in mind, but I would suggest the Borghese Gardens, see the Pantheon afterwards, and then relax with dinner in the Piazza Navona, which is lovely in the evening.

In Florence, I would suggest the Churches of Santa Croce and San Marco as well as the Ufizzi and Accademia museums.

Just be sure to check out the opening and closing time of the museums and churches so you won't be disappointed. We tried to see Michelangelo's Moses three times in Rome, and the church was closed every time.

Have a fun planning.
Apr 8th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

thankyou!!!!! what about venice--any suggestions??
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:50 PM

You can do Florence in one day, actually. We're just back from Italy (Rome, Tuscan hill towns, Siena, Florence) and thought that Florence was least interesting of all. Siena was just so much more authentic and interesting. the Duomo is AMAZING! In Florence, we saw David in Academia (which has pretty much nothing else to see). Loved Ufizzi. Duomo was a disappointment (as compared to Siena's duomo). Also, were constantly targeted by annoying street vendors. Our friends were in Florence almost at the same time and had the same impression of the city in general.
Rome definitely deserves as much time as you can spare: you'll love it!
WE did not go to Venice, but our friends loved it. Gelateria Giolitti near Pantheon is the best! (ask for directions in any bar around there, and they'll direct you: it's sort of tricky to find.
If interested in Ancient Rome history, you could take the Enjoy Rome tours (they depart from green info stand across from Colosseum at 2 pm every day except for Sat and Sun). We thought the guide was great.
Let me know if questions.
Have a great trip,
Katie
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Bootman4U

I second the idea of the Borghese gardens AND a visit to the gallery. If you do a search for the gallery you'll get linked up to the site where you can make reservations (without paying in advance) for tickets...check online to see if the gallery might be of interest. It has one of the richest collections, particularly of VERY important sculpture, in the city and if you enjoy marble adronment on walls, around doors, on floors, etc., it is definitely worth a look.

I think your itinerary is fine for a first overview visit but beware that all of what has been written here, including my own thoughts, are opinions about what is good and what isn't. Your tastes may vary but the only way to find out is to take the plunge and experience it for yourself and then decide if it was worth it or not. There's a reason that folks venture to these "major" sites that you've picked and I think you'll find they were wise to have done so.
Have a wonderful holiday.

Apr 8th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Maira

Your itineray looks really good. I do agree though that the Venice part needs to be fill in; try the following website: http://www.venetia.it/

Since you are going in the summer, just don't overpack nor crunch a lot of sightseeing for a day as crowds are going to impact your time.

Have a great time!!

Apr 8th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

thank you thank you one and all!!ladybug
Apr 8th, 2003, 02:35 PM
RAR

Spend a day in Siena, my favorite place amongst those you listed.
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Day 4: I'd start at the Roman Forum and then go to the Palatine Hill. The Palatine Hill ticket is also valid for the Colosseum, so you can bypass the *longer* line at the Colosseum.
And I assume you know you have to reserve tickets for the Domus Aurea? Regards, Walter
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:29 PM
mjs

Just a few extra thoughts. If you could just get an extra day or two it would make your trip much better by including a few days on the Amalfi coast which is right next to Naples and Pompeii.
Another option on your trip would be to skip Capri and spend more time in Florence with day trips to Siena, Pisa,
possibly the C.T. etc.
I would personally add a day or two in Sorrento if I could on my way from Capri to Florence, and hire a car/driver to tour the coast.
Apr 8th, 2003, 06:53 PM

In Rome, if you have time, visit the Castello. Very interesting history and a great view from the top.

On Capri, you can buy an all-day bus pass. Very cheap and the little buses are cute! From Anacapri, if you're not afraid of heights, take the single chair ski-type lift to the highest point on the island for a terrific panoramic view (including the ride up and down). There's a small cafe and terrace at the top offering light refreshments.

In Florence, if you're fit, climb to the top of the Duomo for a terrific view from the Lantern. During the climb, notice how the dome is constructed, one dome inside the other. For lunch, go to the Kaffeehaus in the Boboli Gardens for a beautiful view of the city. I also encourage you to see the Ufizzi and the Santa Croce church.

In Venice, get away from Piazza San Marco in the middle of the day. Have lunch in a sunny campo. See the Basilica and Doge's Palace early or late. But in the evening, go to San Marco to listen to the free! music.

You're going to have a great time!
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:10 PM

Hi Ladybug,

I would also recommend visiting Pompeii to/from Capri. It is amazing and well worth the time.

On my last trip, I had the pleasure of 4 whole days in Venice. It was my second visit, so I really enjoyed seeing more of what Venice is about!

Accademia - great art

Ca d'Oro - a Grand Canal Palazzo restored into a museum

Il Frari - very old church with a masterful Titian and Verdi's tomb

Guggenheim - great if you like modern art, nice gardens plus the graves of all her little doggies!

Murano & Burano - I liked Burano best, but you may not have time for it on this trip

Santa Maria della Salute - the large domed church across the lagoon from Piazza San Marco

Also, the church where all the Doges are entombed. Very interesting. Sorry I can't remember the name. I just happened upon it. It's next to the hospital (which is conveniently located across the lagoon from the cemetary island).

That's the best part of Venice, wandering and getting lost!

Recommend Al Covo for dinner. Need reservations.
Buon viaggio!
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:18 PM

One more great place - Scuola di San Rocco. You won't believe the art - everywhere. There are mirrors for ceiling viewing!
Apr 9th, 2003, 01:37 AM

I think your itinerary is wonderful. You are going to see a lot. There is so much to see in Italy and cannot be seen obviously in one visit but you can get a flavour of nearly everything and I have no doubt you will want to go back.
I agree with Dayle the Scuola di San Rocco is amazing - wee went there during the day and then at night to hear an orchestral concert on instruments of bygone days - it was wonderful. Full of paintings by Tinteretto. We spent a week in Venice last year and it wasnt enough.
A must is a ride on the vaporetti (the local bus). Board the vaporetti at St Marks (No 1) and sail to the railway station (you can get on and off at the various landing stages if you wish) - that way you will see the whole of the grand canal. You can either take the vaporetti back or walk back through the streets to St Marks (or do it vice versa).
St Marks in the evening is a must - When we were there in August there was 3 orchestras playing - amazing. St Marks is at its best in the evening when all the day visitors have gone! A sail to the islands of Murano and Burano is lovely if you have the time.
Have a wonderful time also in Rome, Florence and Capri. The name of the gardens are Gardens of Augustus and the Villa is called Villa Jovis (the ruins of Capri's largest and most luxurious mperial Roman villa. located on a beautiful cliff about 1,200 feet above sea level. Ravello on the Amalfi Coast is a beautiful, peaceful, serene place but I think as you only have one day on the coast you would be better to stick with Capri to wander.
I am sure you will love Italy - We have returned there in the past 4 years!!!!
Apr 9th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Ladybug,
You must visit the Frari. It is a wonderful church with a spectacular Titian. However, to visit Verdi's tomb, you will have to add Milan to your itinerary. Your trip sounds delightful. We did much the same trip in 2001.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO