Reload this Page >

My Italy itinerary

Search

My Italy itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:51 AM
lfolsom521

My Italy itinerary

In March, my family of four including two sons, 11 and 15 are going to Florence and Rome for 7 days not including travel. Although my kids prefer beaches, when we tour a “city” they are very willing to visit museums and other cultural sights. My 11 year old is studying ancient civilizations right now, including Rome and my 15 year old is studying the Renaissance and is in his second year of Latin. This itinerary seems hectic, but we are up for it. As my youngest said the first time we went to London when he was 8, “Could I please remove my shoes in our hotel more than once a day on our next trip”. Meaning, the only time we saw our hotel in London was about 11:00pm to “take off our shoes” and fall into bed, to get up and leave the next morning. He’s a more seasoned traveler, and I think this itinerary will allow him to remove his shoes at least 2x on some days.
Input please.

Day 1 – Travel from US to Milan

Day 2 – Arrive Milan, train to Florence, arrive in early afternoon staying at Plaza Lucchesi near Santa Croce
See David, on our own (with Rick Steve’s guide) or Artviva walking tour at 4:45pm Dinner at Cinghaiale Bianco

Day 3 – Via train to Modena and Maranello to the Ferrari factory. A must for my family, regardless of reviews.

Day 4 – Walking tour of Florence and Uffizi with Artviva

Day 5 – Morning in Tuscany tour with Artviva, (my kids really want to do this) train to Rome. Arrive Rome in evening staying at the River Palace Hotel on river near Villa Borghese.
Dinner at L’Oro 80.

Day 6 – All Day private tour of Rome with Through Eternity

Day 7 – 8 - Roam, Rome and recover

Day 9 – Fly to US from Rome

I’ve done extensive research on Trip Advisor, Fodor, Rick Steve’s books, Access Rome and Florence and DK books and continue to do more. We plan to walk as much as possible and aside from the two restaurants listed on our first days in the city we plan to eat where ever looks good.

I await your responses!

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Search this forum for the phone number to get advance reservations to see the David. I don't have it with me but a friend did that and definitely saved a lot of time.

I'm not sure but I think you can make reservations for the uffizi as well.

We are big walkers as well when on vacation and don't have to worry about amusing/considering kids as ours are grown and do their own thing.

We seldom take organized city tours so I can't help with that.

Florence
We took a city but up to Piazza Michaelangelo for a great view of the city, and then walked down the front through the stairs and paths.

A pretty small town and easy to navigate.

Rome.
Try to visit some of the sights at sunset for great views of the Colliseum, Spanish Steps, etc

While some people feel Rome is hectic and large, it is only as hectic as you let it be. We walked the whole town almost each day we were there. We seemed to pass the Spanish Steps from each direction, top and bottom several times a day. May not have as many people hanging around in March as we had the middle of May.

The Spanish Steps, Fountain of Trevo, Piaza Navonna triangle in only about 15 minutes apart. Again 15-20 minutes to the Forum as well.

Tourist Rome is all very walkable and not very tiring.

Have fun.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:19 AM
caf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lfolsom,
I think your itinerary looks great. I also have Maranello on my list of things to do, but despite many trips to Italy, have never made it--I'll look forward to your review. There is supposed to be a restaurant nearby where a lot of the Ferrari people hang out, including the drivers--might be fun to check it out. The name escapes me, but I have it filed away somewhere at home.

I think your itinerary is well paced to see a lot of things without burning out everyone. You'll probably find that you want to schedule a future trip to do Rome more in depth, but that's an opportunity, not a problem!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:25 AM
ira

Hi I,

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If your Florence tour doesn't include the Bargello and inside the Santa Croce church, I'd definitely squeeze them in somehow.

I understand the whole Ferrari thing, but I do hope you have an entry/reservation to the factory museum. No walk-ups are allowed.

In Rome, have your hotel make a reservation for the Villa Borghese.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM

"I do hope you have an entry/reservation to the factory museum. No walk-ups are allowed."

The factory tour is by appointment only for Ferrari owners. The museum, aka Galleria Ferrari, you can simply drop in. The entrance fee on the site indicates it is 12 euros but I remember it cost more than that when I was there last June. Also, you may already know this but Maranello is a 20 minute bus ride from Modena, with a transfer from the train station to the bus station. I mention this because I mistakenly thought it would be a 5 minute bus ride from Modena to Maranello. I hope you enjoy your trip, I particularly enjoyed Maranello for obvious reasons.