Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   My Italian Itinerary...comments? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/my-italian-itinerary-comments-254323/)

Martin Aug 29th, 2002 01:03 PM

My Italian Itinerary...comments?

I've just booked via the internet, every part of my two week Italian trip at the end of September. I'm posting it here in the hope that others may have suggestions to enhance our trip in the places we've chosen.<BR><BR>Here's the itinerary:<BR><BR>Sunday September 29 <BR>Pick up car rental from Rome Airport at approximately 1.00 pm.<BR>Arrive Orvieto by rental car between 3.00 and 4.00 pm.<BR><BR>Orvieto Sunday September 29 for 2 nights<BR>Hotel Corsa<BR>C. so Cavour, 343, 05018 Orvieto<BR><BR>Tuesday October 1<BR>Drive from Orvieto, via Todi, to Assisi<BR><BR>Assisi Tuesday October 1 for one night<BR>Albergo Il Palazzo<BR>Via S. Francesco n 8., Assisi<BR><BR>Wednesday October 2 <BR>Drive from Assisi to Castellina<BR><BR>Castellina in Chianti Wednesday October 2 for 4 nights<BR>Hotel Colle Etrusco Salvolpi<BR>Via Fiorentia, 89, 53011 Castellina in Chianti<BR><BR>Sunday October 6 <BR>Drive from Chianti to Lucca<BR><BR>Lucca Sunday October 6 for one night<BR>Villa Romantica<BR>Via Barbantini, 246 - via Campioni, 19<BR>Lucca<BR><BR>Monday October 7<BR>Drive from Lucca to Gardone Riviera, Lake Garda<BR>Gardone Riviera Monday October 7 for one night<BR>Hotel Du Lac<BR>Via Repubblica, 58, 25083 Gardone Riviera, Lago di Garda<BR><BR>Tuesday October 8<BR>Drive from Gardone Riviera to Verona<BR><BR>Verona Tuesday October 8 for one night<BR>Hotel Giulietta e Romeo<BR>Vicolo Tre Marchetti, 3, 37121 Verona<BR><BR>Wednesday October 9<BR>Drive to Venice, return rental car<BR><BR>Venice Wednesday October 9 for six nights<BR>San Marco Apartment <BR>Salizzada San Samuele, Venice<BR><BR>Return from Trieste October 15<BR>

Martin Aug 29th, 2002 01:40 PM

An addendum to our itinerary.<BR>Our budget was 100 euros per night for a double room with private bath and breakfast.<BR>We've done better than that in some of our choices, but slightly exceeded the budget in others.

Walter Aug 29th, 2002 02:48 PM

Martin: I have some driving directions to the Giulietta e Romeo in Verona. But it does require a slight infraction of the driving laws:), meaning driving 1/4 the way around the Arena in the Bus/Taxi lanes.<BR>Assuming? you will enter Verona by the Porta Nuova and head up the Corso Porta Nuova. You will pass thru a medieval gate into the Piazza Bra, the Arena will be in front of you.<BR> Call the closest point of the Arena that you *1st* see 6 o'clock which is actually the SW section.<BR> Now you must go around the Arena counter-clockwise.<BR> At 3 o'clock the street splits, straight for traffic and left which hugs the Arena for Bus/Taxis. Go left.<BR> At 11 o'clock (N) you will see a short section of all that remains of the outer ring of the Arena. As soon as you get to that section turn a (hard) right.<BR> The hotel is up on the right maybe 75m, shortly before the street ends.<BR> Park in front, bring in your bags and they will have it parked elsewhere (and returned at check-out) for you. In March '01 the price was 20,000L/$10US for on-street parking with their permit and 30,000L/$15 in a secure garage. <BR> I liked the hotel very much and had no problems. I tried getting to it a couple of times by the other streets but kept getting lost, maybe it was just me:). In my mind I knew exactly where it was in relation to the Arena and finally just decided to take the Bus/Taxi lane for ~150m. Regards, Walter <BR>

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Aug 29th, 2002 03:28 PM

Not a bad plan--all considered. Some will knock the one niters and I hate them too--but I see your progression.<BR>I would change one thing and eliminate one of the one niters. Either stay in Sirmione and do Verona from there, or spend 2 nites at Garda and hit Verona enroute to Venice. It is only 3 hours and you can spend 4 hours in Verona and still have time. I have stayed in 3 of those hotels---my wife blew out the power in the Du Lac one nite in 1985. We will be in Venice--in an apt. near San Marco--from 3 to 10 Oct. I will be the good looking one wearing a cap from Amelia Island. Good luck !

Martin Aug 30th, 2002 05:17 AM

Walter,<BR><BR>Many thanks for the driving directions in Verona....I'm sure they will save me a lot of lost time.<BR><BR>Bob,<BR><BR>Thanks to you too!<BR>I appreciate your comments about the one-nighters. All the distances are short except for Lucca to Garda. I may change Garda to two nights as you suggest. I'll be on the look-out for your hat in Venice!<BR><BR>Martin

steve Aug 30th, 2002 05:24 AM

I just came back from Italy yesterday and past through some of th eplaces you will be visiting. We spent a night in Gardone Riviera but stayed at the Grand Hotel. We will very happy with the suite there. We checked out the Hotel Du Lac but it was a little too pricey for us. We also liked the older feel to the Grand Hotel. I would also strongly recommend going for dinner at Hotel De Fortleisa (sp?) where Carla Petacci (Mussolini's mistress) lived. Best restaurant in town. I think six days in Venice is a little overkill. Iwould try to leave some flexibility in your plans. You are travelling off season and wont have much trouble getting reservations. Leave a couple of days open if you can. That way you can get to Venice with 3-6 days left. Have a great time!

Bob Aug 30th, 2002 05:48 AM

We have been to Venice twice and in my opinion 6 nights is way too much. We returned from two weeks in Italy recently and wish we had allocated more time for Tuscany, especially the Chianti area. You should consider adding at least a day for your Castellina stay. There is much to see and do in the Tuscany area and I don't think you have allocated enough time there.

Martin Aug 30th, 2002 05:55 AM

Steve,<BR><BR>Thanks for your comments!<BR>The Hotel Du Lac in Gardone Riviera is in fact 91 euros for a double versus 132 - 152 euros at The Grand Hotel. I've had positive feedback about both.<BR><BR>Venice happens to be our favourite city, so we know we will need all of our six days there - I plan on taking hundreds of photos.<BR><BR>Martin

Martin Aug 30th, 2002 06:29 AM

Bob, <BR><BR>Thanks for your observations! We've been to Chianti a couple of times, so I feel that, for us, the four nights is probably about right. Others might want to stay longer.<BR>My particular fascination with Venice demanded six nights...we only had two last time, and regretted leaving.<BR>And this time, we have found a very reasonably-priced small apartment owned by Hotel Locanda Art Deco, located next to Palazzo Grassi, which will enable us to keep our costs down.<BR><BR>Martin<BR><BR>

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Aug 30th, 2002 11:57 AM

martin, Please do not exhaust all of the photo ops in venice--be sure to leave some for me. We will be there for a week in early Oct.--also staying in an apt. It is out third time in Venice but the first with more than 2 days. Have fun !

Martin Aug 30th, 2002 12:53 PM

Bob,<BR><BR>If, like me, you're up at 6 a.m. and on the vaporetti with the locals, you'll bump into me with the telephoto lens!<BR><BR>Martin

GAC Aug 30th, 2002 01:33 PM

Martin, the Hotel Du Lac in Gardone ain't bad, but I found it too noisy for my tastes: I prefer the Hotel Monte Baldo, nearly next door to the Grand Hotel, and right on the water. The annex, Villa Acquarone, is very romantic. On the other hand, the Du Lac is right in the middle of things, if that is a consideration for you.

Martin Sep 1st, 2002 12:27 PM

GAC...Thanks for your comment sabout Hotel du Lac in Gardone Riviera. We like to be in the centre of things, so we'll put up with the noise for just one night!<BR><BR>Martin<BR><BR>

Chet Sep 1st, 2002 03:18 PM

Hi Martin:<BR><BR>Good Itinerary, but I agree with Bob the Navigator suggestions. I've stayed in both Gardon Riviera and Sirmione and both were great, but I preferred Sermione: More to do and see, with great restaurants. As a final comment: Why are you returning from Tieste? Trieste is an industrial city, with not much going for it, as noted in previous posts in this forum. I recommend you plan on returning from Marco Polo airport, and use the time you gain for more sightseeing in Venice and surroundings. <BR>Bon viaggo, Chet

ciao Sep 1st, 2002 04:20 PM

Martin, you are literally flying by some of the most interesting part of Italy. The chianti area in Tuscany, Assisi, Orvieto, and Lucca all are fascinating.One can spend months there and never tire of it.I am going to Assisi during the same time and will be there for a month. Don't rush,.Take your time and enjoy the ambience and atmosphere in all of these wonderful places.Venice is nice, but I would not stay for six nights. Seen one canal seen 'em all! San Marco; once is enough . Hope you can get back if you can't change your itinerary.

jt Sep 2nd, 2002 02:53 AM

Before I read any replies, I thought Martin's itinerary indicated experience, excellant taste, careful research, and even some skepticism anyone could find a flaw. All I can add is if this is the first trip to wonderful Lucca, arrive early, early, early (you probably have to leave Lucca very early next day).<BR><BR>I love the lengthy Venice stay and Trieste departure. Maybe he had the same difficulty as me reserving a flight out of main Italian tourist spots - I forgot about Trieste and kept trying places until I reached Prague.<BR><BR>Would anyone like to comment on MY sched? It uses mainly day train trips which normally subtracts a part day from the corresponding number of nights:<BR><BR>2 nites Naples (incl Caserta), <BR>3 nites Capri, <BR>100min train change in Pisa (tower), <BR>2 nites Santa Margherita Ligure (incl Portofino, Camogli), <BR>3 nites Nice, <BR>2 nites Desenzano (Lago Garda ferries, Sirmione), <BR>3 nites Venice (incl Burano, maybe Stra, then nite train to...), <BR>3 nites Vienna<BR>3 nites Prague

Martin Sep 2nd, 2002 03:39 AM

Flying charter often requires flexibility.<BR>For a low rate, I am able to fly into Rome and out of Trieste. We will not even go near the city. A two hour (or less) train ride from Venice to Monfalcone gets you very close to Trieste Airport.

Martin Sep 4th, 2002 01:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input...we leave in three weeks!<BR><BR>A full report will follow.

ttp Sep 18th, 2002 09:33 AM

to the top

x Sep 18th, 2002 09:39 AM

Martin, we have your name and itinerary, would you like to share your credit card number with us too? Of course Im kidding, but I don't think it's wise to share such specific info with strangers on the internet.