Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My "independent" holiday to Russia - part 4 (St Petersburg)

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:37 AM
Andrea

We then took a taxi back to Vladimir in time to catch the overnight train to St Petersburg. We booked soft class or first class which is a 2 person coupe. This was very comfortable (though we were forced to pay an extra amount for bedding – this is not included in your ticket price). There was an eating coach that looked like a tacky Hawaiian bar which we avoided, and chay (tea) and kofye (coffee) were freely available in our coupe for a nominal amount. The journey was fairly bumpy for most of the journey and our coupe rattled and squeaked throughout – I constantly thought we were being attacked by Tartar invaders, despite the locks and extra piece of string we’d put around the handle of our door. The toilet facility was adequate (about 5 coupes to one toilet). An added extra is that at about 8am you are woken up by softly piped Russian pop music (nice change from the loud Western pop music that greets you in most restaurants/breakfast rooms!).<BR><BR>The station in St Petersburg is much lighter and friendlier than the Moscow station and one is immediately struck by the English writing on many of the signs. We walked down the Nevsky Propect to the gigantic concrete mass of the Moskva Hotel which was swarming with tour coaches and tour parties. Strangely enough, although we saw many tour groups at the main attractions in Moscow, we only saw Russian tourists in Suzdal and heard virtually no foreign accents on the metros/streets of Moscow. St Petersburg was more obviously geared up for tourists, with many more people speaking English and a lot more queues which we’d not encountered prior to arriving there. At first it did not seem as Russian, though should you wander off the main tourist drag you’re once more very much back in Russia. <BR><BR>St Petersburg is definitely the grand dame of Russia. Its faded elegance and regalness can’t fail to charm you. The only shame were the amounts of scaffolding and road works in preparation for next year’s tri-centennial celebrations which did affect our ability to appreciate St Petersburg’s grandeur. Highlights include the Hermitage (beyond your wildest dreams in splendour and works of art), the Russian Museum (which houses a fascinating collection of Russian art) and Peterhof palace. We caught the hydrofoil to Peterhof (or Petrovarets) which runs regularly during the summer (until about 6pm) and the fountains were absolutely magnificent. The queues for the palace were formidable though. Also we were luckly enough to see the Kirov opera at the Mariinsky Theatre in a production of Eugene Onegin. It was superb with an outstanding French design and excellent cast. The theatre itself is also not to be missed. We sat in the third balcony and could see everything perfectly. Of course we were forced to buy our tickets on the black market – there is a ticket shop on the corner of Mikhailovsky ulitsa and Nevsky Prospect outside of which we met someone selling Mariinsky tickets for triple the price. The tickets were not too badly priced in our equivalent pounds (approx &pound;14 each which is much cheaper than opera tickets in London!), though Russians can go to the Kirov for hardly anything at all. Make sure you get a yellow foreigner ticket otherwise you’ll have to pay an extra amount to exchange your blue Russian ticket when you get to the theatre. The ticket tout, Vladimir, agreed to go to the theatre on our behalf to exchange the tickets so I guess it wasn’t too bad a deal (the prices at the ticket agency in the Hotel Moskva started at about $35.00). Anyway it was one of the most memorable evenings of our life – an experience no-one should miss. <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:00 AM
Mel

I was just in St. Petersburg and toured the Hermitage, the summer palace at Pushkin and Peterhof. Over the 2 days we were there we drove around a lot and saw a great deal of St. Petersburg.<BR><BR>Other than the old pre-communist buildings such as the Hermitage the architecture is the most depressing and dismal construction I have ever seen. If you like drab concrete buildings then St. Petersburg is for you. I've never seen a city in such a state of disrepair and this includes not only the buildings but the roads (potholes everywhere, especially where the trams run), weeds growing everywhere, trams which have never seen a wash or paint brush in 30 years and parks with few if any flowers or fountains or any of the things that we take for granted in a nice city. <BR><BR>It looked like a 3rd world country. I'm still in shock. I had no idea how dismal it was. I think it reflects well on the Russian people that they can soar to such heights in science and music and theater and literature while living in such an environment or maybe it's that environment that turns them towards these other endeavours.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Marc David Miller

Mel, if you stayed on a cruise ship docked on Basil's Island I am not surprised that you have such an impression (traveling through a largely industrial area on the way to tourist spots). But if you went around more of central and better surrounding areas of Petersburg you would be amazed at the variety (and quality) of architecture. Pick up one of William Brumfield's books on Russian architecture and you'll undertand this. Although you are correct on the conditions of the streets in central St. Petersburg you should have seen more of the parks.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:23 AM
Oldtimer

Mel, please explain to me how you overcome decades of neglect and decay of both public and private buildings without putting up scaffolding and netting? We just returned from STP and found it to be breathtaking "work in progress." With its 300th birtday coming up next year, STP is undergoing the most amazing, gigantic, and interesting renovation of any city we can think of at this time. We can't figure out how all this work can possibly be completed by 2003. Putin, a hometown guy, is putting on a full-court press to get this work done, with the national checkbook in his hand. We gave the citizens of STP a high-five for their long-overdue efforts!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Mel

Oldtimer<BR><BR>If you thought St. Pete was a "breath taking work in progress" you have an imagination totally unlike anyone I've ever met. It was a sad, dismal city of concrete buildings with little if any aesthetic appeal....other than the old Tsarist constructions.<BR><BR>Go across the Gulf of Finland to Helsinki and you see what a modern city should look like. People in pedastrian mall areas with kids eating ice cream or sitting at tables outdoors having lunch or coffee. Lovely buildings put up with a thought as to their aesthetic value and it's affect on the people who see it and use it. Clean streets with clean, modern looking trams. Beautiful parks just overflowing with flowers, as they should be on a summer's day in August. The contrast was incredible. I'm still shocked at the difference between St. Pete and Helsinki or Stockholm or Oslo.<BR><BR>The Russian people were abused by their Tsarist leadership and equally by their Communist leadership and no where is that more apparent than in the appearance of their cities. Where did the wealth of this nation go? Not to the cities...that's for sure.