"My House In Umbria"...but WHERE????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. we are thinking of staying four nights in Rome after taking in a performance in Verona..but now wondering if we shouldn't rent a car and explore Umbria for several days...we've been to Rome before and more than once.

If we do it we'd want to stay in some sort of central location (town, village, etc.) in a hotel...perhaps somewhere accessible by rail from Verona (unless we rented the car there..)

Yes, we like museums, churches, countryside...easily "entertained"...not going for the food although I love to eat.

Suggestions helpful to help me kickstart this hairbrained idea some more....thanks
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Perugia!

DH and I made that our base for bus and hired car trips around the area: Gubbio (wonderful and another possibility), Deruta (upper town), Lake Trasimeno, Todi, Montelchino and Montepulciano.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that rec...it helps narrow things down a bit.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Would any of those towns have anything interesting specifically for teens?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:04 AM

We have rented an apartment for next June for ten nights in the town of Spello near Assisi. Apparently this is a highly desirable town in a great location. We will have a rental car. Here s the link to the apartments: http://www.italybackroads.com/
We are renting the Augustus apartment.

We were torn between staying out in the country or in town. Had we stayed in the country, it would have been here: http://www.geniuslociumbria.com/

From my research, the area around Montefalco, Bevagna, Spello, Assisi is a highly desirable and attractive area to tour and stay, close enough for day trips to Norcia and Gubbio. We will spend the night in Orvieto on our way up from Rome.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Perugia's wonderful, but for me driving in and out of it wasn't so much fun. Same with Chiusi. Since you're going to have been in Rome, I'd pick a village, not a city, to stay in in Umbria. I stayed a few weeks in Paciano one year, but that's a village of only 75 people - too small and not enough to do - but the area around it is lovely. I think I would opt for staying on Lago Trasimeno, though. Castiglione del Lago is a very lively town, with a nice beach, a big market, boat rides out to Isola Bella, a large selection of cafés and restaurants. There are other nice towns on the lake as well.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

St. Cirq,

I appreciate your taking the time to write the rec (and not hi-jack the thread but what the heck....)...after careful consideration we have decided to BE out in the countryside but instead of Umbria it now looks like Tuscany and near Siena...the Castel Monastero to be exact.

This HAS to happen because I just called the travel agent and changed the Eurostar reservations.

This place has gotten a LOT of hype and, of course, everyone is raving about Gordon Ramsey's restaurant and so forth...I want the pool, the relaxation, and the proximity with my rental car to take in as much as possible...we'll see what happens and thanks to ALL above who tried to be most helpful.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Please report back Dukey!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Dukey, we loved the Spello area because it was great to get to places like Spoleto, Montefalco, Bevagna, Trevi (don't drive on the town square), Assisi, Perugia (great 47 minutes there) and Gubbio (Bucket of Bolts...don't miss it). Our motto was "All Roads lead to Spello" and "Things Go Better with Spello." All the info on our Umbria experience (with photos) is below (go to Day Three to skip the getting there part). Have fun!

http://web.me.com/tomfielding1/Tom_%...th_Spello.html

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Castel Monastero looks lovely - please report back.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
oops, see you will be near Siena. For a great lunch, try Ristoro di Lamole, about 7 km from Greve. Terrific!

http://www.ristorodilamole.it/