My HAMBURG by Ziana

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My HAMBURG by Ziana

Dear Lufthanza cured me from flight fright. I actually enjoyed our flight which sentence I wouldn?t dream to write down 2 weeks ago. Custom was easy, luggage was just picked ( I remember suggestions to carry on as much as you can, wondering why now?)
As soon as the door was open I saw my dear friend with her husband I?ve never met.
Then there were tears and laughes and hugs for lost 12 years.
We grew up together and about the same year we went separate ways and now thanks to Travelzoo/Go-today.com offer we were able to meet.
So, after returning from Paris at 9am she took me on the shopping spree. Let me tell you ? even Oak Traveler would be satisfied at those stores. I am not talking Versace ? just regular Hamburg stores, no trashy clothes, all YES, expensive but quality stuff. Shoes!!! 3 stories of the shoes starting price $100 I mean E100. Packed with people! Surprise!

What striked me was the cleanleness of the Hamburg?s undergrounds everywhere. Half-drunken men returning from sucker match singing out loud on subway giving you wide smile to assure you they aren?t bad azzes. My daughter got scared first, then seeing men smiling she was fine. I told my friend that ?regardless of 1941 I hate to admit but I like here very much? ? she was laughing.
Next day we went to RatHouse and lucky for us they had a tour. Beauty, gorgeous, old and still functional place. I am in love with Hamburg streets and buildings of different colors. Everyone has it?s own face, nothing blend. Lakes, rivers, seas, who can have it all ?
Hamburg does.
Riding boats as a buses my very cup of tea. Restrooms on these boats had linen snow white towels. Streets are wide enough to not to bump into people and just walk peacefully.
Next was Lubek. Fairy tale city, full of fairy tale streets with real people living in. Unbeliavable. Pretty and fresh. Wanted to have more, but had to return. Yeah, tried marcipans ? wanted to bring to US for friends, but retinked, tasted like sweet soap.
Food?first waiters, I was stunned by the great looks of German youngsters nowadays. 13 years ago I wasn?t impressed, but now !!!
I forgot, I was 13 years younger and was impressed by no one looks by self. Yeah, shnitzels were out of this world and potatoes with gravy and salad. But I came for wursts...Boy I was getting those !!!

Returned to Hamburg, heard a lot about Fishmarkt. Went there early morning. It was turned into simple flea market over years. But there is a huge barn on the middle where people get into to listen to ?Cansas City? band singing ?Sweet home Alabama? ? made me teareyed with pride. Some drunk men were dancing and while dancing arm wrestling in the air ? they fell on another solo dancer as drank as they were, but no fight, no yelling, smiled and kept their groove, I was pleased. When drank people don?t forget their manners ? police probably doing their job well. Everyone were dancing, chewing and smiling. Never saw 100 eggs fried at the same time (yeah, sunny side up).

Then we had family dinner and met more people who I never dreamed to see and finally my husband?s dream came through ? we went to the Reeperban ? red light district of Hamburg. I expected something else, but it was too civil. Phily?s South street more vamp then Reeperban was. I was shocked though by the look of young night baterflies. Winter jackets, jeans, sneakers, light make-up and faces, my Lord, gorgeous faces. I thought US modeling industry should go fish there.
Next day we went to see it all ? all 6 of us with kids and had marvelous ice-cream and sandwiches and walk and talk and I was happy.

We also visited Hamburg's Zoo. What a seen !
Privately held park, freely wondering some Australian rabbits,Peacock and some stuff I never saw before. I hate Zoos and Circuses for their poor animal keeping, I don?t even like Philadelphia Zoo, but here you were like in heaven. Seals had water in their swimming pool ? I would drink it just like that ! Bears coats were like ? just brushed, elephants like washed. I love clean, so throw some stones? stop, wash em first !

Then there was trip to my friends garden. They even managing to keep their gardens like they have artificial dirt, which is not. It was real. So, what can I say?

Yeah, at bus stops there are signs with exact time when bus is coming, so you just look at and see as it changes every second.
Public transportation of XXII century!

We cried again departing and gave each other promise to never keep apart for so long ever again.
I need to run and buy book about Philadelphia?s Historical places and memorize it.
I only have couple of years?I hope.

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Ziana : you are going to get me fired from laughing loudly at your humourous and entertaining trip reports ! You have a special style and you tell it like it is. Thank you again for some fun reading.

(PS : I hope that your daughter's booty has recovered from the Paris box-spring !)
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:42 AM
hsv

I am glad that evidently I cannot be accused anymore of favoring Hamburg too much...
I have to admit that I have yet to encounter the public restrooms on the harbor ferries that sport white linnen towels, but eventually I will venture to check upon that .
BTW for anyone interested (as nowadays your posts appear to be subject to brand clothes discussions, too): There is also a Versace store close to Rathaus (City Hall).

Finally, you really got me smiling about that "sucker" match. We happen to just call it football in order to avoid any misunderstandings! ;-)
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

<<<blushing>>>thanks, Mathieu.

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

I know, hsv, soccer it is not sucker.
I apologize. I am from Europe so I should of known...

My Versace comment was inspired by store near Rathaus.

I do not remember now where we boarded that boat with towels, but it was some small nothing fancy boat. To me it was like "it is probably a norm here" reaction after seing all sparkling clean everywhere.

So, I would go back in this instant, I am backing you up on everything.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM
ira

Hi ziana,

I can see why you didn't care for Paris.

You are not a 'crepe', you are a 'hamburger'.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:56 AM
hsv

No need to apologize !

Even as a fan (my screen name indicating my team affinity) I admit that in fact there currently are quite a few su**ers on the soccer team of Hamburg ;-)
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:59 AM
hsv

ira,

that's why I usually term it "Hamburgian" as thinking of myself as a meat patty is indeed utterly startling !
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

ira, hsv, you guys rock !
ira, I am more of a bratwurst and knokwurst with a lot of mustard and sourkraut...not a crepe definitely.
hsv, what is your team name ?
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
zany Ziana, it's a dull rainy day here but thanks to you, a cheerful one
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

cigalechanta,
thanks for incouragement, glad to be at service to you all (bow and departed)...
it is raining here too, makes me feel like in Europe
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:10 PM
hsv

ziana,

take a guess!
It's HSV (abbreviation for Hamburger Sport Verein or Hamburg Sports Club)
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:23 PM
ira

Hey hsv,

>...that's why I usually term it "Hamburgian" as thinking of myself as a meat patty is indeed utterly startling <

Better than being 'ein Berliner'.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:27 PM
hsv

ira,

there are indeed human life forms that could be described as living meat balls, but a human being turning into a delicious pastry appears to be quite unlikely- so I am rather careful with my wording when it comes to labelling my origin ;-).
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Ira and HSV :

>...Better than being 'ein Berliner'...<

or a Frankfurter.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:55 PM

this helps explain why you didn't like paris. glad you had a good time in hamburg.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 01:03 PM

So glad to see that you were Happy In Hamburg!

A lot of people don't like Paris, Ziana, thank goodness, that is not a crime, at least , not yet
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Ziana:

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, you can make me a drink!

(Aside from sucker, you said badazzes.
A Fodor no-no...right up there with thong, booty, orgasims...you see?)

My Very Best,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Poor Zaina, now Oak will tell you how to dress when NOT in Paris.
Only kidding Oak!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:56 PM

LOL, cigale, she will most likely just give long winded descriptions of her own get-up..complete with carats and color of new manicure..
giggling
Scarlett

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -