My first trip to Italy....

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first trip to Italy....

My husband and I will be traveling to Italy with our two daughters (ages 14 and 15)the last week in September.

This is a dream come true for us!

We intially thought of a romantic trip for just the two of us, but realized that this is a trip in a lifetime and really feel the girls are at the perfect ages to enjoy Italy with us.

We will be flying into Bologna and leaving a 6 days later from Milan.

I cannot tell you how excited we are to see Europe....I've never been out of the US, so for me, I can only dream of what I will see.

Does anyone have suggestions on what we absolutely must do or see while we are there?

We fully intend to enjoy every single sight and experience as if we may never see it again......
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM

You don't have much time. If you have 6 nights in Italy, upon arrival in Bologna, I would immediately take the train to Venice for 3 nights. Then train to Florence for 2 nights, train to Milan for the last night so you're near the airport. Or if you're really into Renaissance art, make it 2 nights in Venice and 3 in Florence.

The last week in September will still be busy in these cities. I would get hotel rooms booked ASAP.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM

I assume you mean 2008 !
You are very late now for accommodations--do that soon. I too would head straight for Venice or Florence and make them my only destinations, and that will still be rushed.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM
ira

Hi A,

You have a very short time in Italy.

Bologna is worth at least 1 night, even 2.

Besides, you want to get over jet lag.

I would then go to Venice.

If you have an early flight out of MXP, you want to spend the night before in Milan.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Agree with the above suggestions on itinerary. Make reservations now for the Last Supper in milan for the last day you are there. Hopefully, there will still be tickets available. In Venice, see San Marco, Doge's Palace, take a gondola ride, see and walk over rialto bridge, walk the little alleyways and neighborhoods, go up to the top of the bell tower, tour a couple of smaller churches, see the Accademia art museum. In Florence, see David at the accademia, tour the uffizi gallery, see the duomo, medici chapels, ponte vecchio, pitti palace, and so on. You'll need to do some research and figure out what things are most interesting. clearly, you'll run out of time before you run out of ideas! In Florence, we stayed at Hotel Accademia; its less than 2 blocks from the train station so you can walk it easily; within a block or so of the duomo so very centrally located. Doesn't have an onsite restaurant or lift, so its (I think listed as a 2 or 3*). Rooms are large and clean. There are so many little sidewalk cafes to choose from right there as well. In Venice, I can't recommend a hotel - we stayed on the Lido our first trip and then at the Westin our second. Both were great but you'd be spending a ton to book there now as you'll need 2 rooms for the 4 of you or possibly a quad/family space if you can find one. In Milan, we stayed at the Sheraton Diana as it was a last minute addition to the trip. If you have time, the duomo in milan is worth the time as is a tour of laScala Opera.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM

I wouldn't try to go to both Venice and Florence. Choose one or the other. If you choose Florence, you can also spend a day or two in Cinque Terre.

Since you're flying out of Milan, if your schedule allows, if you go to either Venice or Florence, you could also spend part of a day in Milan and visit the duomo and see The Last Supper.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM

I'd second Shanti's suggestion. You won't be doing yourself any favours by trying to cram-in too much. I'd say get thee to Firenze (Florence) first thing off the plane and then get to Milan the night before your departure to catch the Last Supper among other things. Mrs. K and I spent 8 days in Florence alone and weren't bored for a moment. IMHO, there's more to be seen and to do there than in Venice plus there's the options of side trips to Pisa, Sienna, etc. as your time permits.

I don't know if this is feasible for you but if there's any way you can minimise your jetlag ahead of time by getting your circadian rhythm onto European time, it'd certainly add to your available time.

In any case, enjoy! Good idea taking the daughters. It should be a trip they'll remember with fondness.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you arrive Bologna & leave Milan I suggest...
2 nights Bologna
3 nights Venice
1 night in Milan

I think Bologna sounds interesting and definitely worth a look around since you're there anyway. I assume there's a reason perhaps, you choose to fly into there?

Look under the Destinations tab right her on Fodor's.

And purchase one general guidebook for Italy to take along with you.

When you arrive watch for free maps and information at train stations, tourist information booths, and your hotel lobby.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I've been to Bologna and agree it's worth some time, but from what Angie said, I don't think that's what she's looking for. It's their first trip, an they want to see what most people got to Italy to see. That's why I suggested going directly to Venice. Of course you could spend the whole time in either Venice or Florence, but again, I don't think that's what they're after.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well not everyone's "absolutely must do or see" places or activities are the same.

That's why it's a pretty open-ended question having no idea what Angie "dreams" about seeing or doing!

Is it cities, or the countryside, museums, churches, famous places, villages, marketplaces, lakes, mountains, music and art, cooking, wines, working farms...
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Hi, AngieK:

I live in Italy and I think for people here to give you the best advice, you need to tell us a few more things about your trip, and a few more things about your family.

Where are you flying from?

How many plane changes do you have before you land in Bologna?

How many nights do you have before you get back on the plane to the U.S.?

When you first planned this trip as just a "twosome," did you have a dream destination in Italy?

Is there anything -- for you or your daughters -- that is a "must"?

Do you want trains or do you want to rent a car?

Fortunately, Bologna is the very center of Italian train transportation, so once you are there, you can easily go in any direction (although the further south you go, the more you eat up precious time). For instance -- Florence is only 45 minutes from Bologna. There are fantastic mosaics one hour from Bologna, and a fantastic Roman arena in the other direction. And fantastic parmesan cheese and a fantastic cathedral in yet another direction.

Italy is crammed to overflowing with beautiful and exciting and historic things to see -- and picking just a few is going to be awful.

But if you post more about your flights and your personal interests -- do you care more about seeing beautiful scenery? Do you like museums or no? Do you have a special feeling for Michaelangelo? Do you care more about ancient history? Would you like a little taste of everything, or would you all get cranky if you dash about?

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Everyone is correct about trying to see a lot of Italy in six days. Forget about trying to see everything and realize that once you go, you'll start planning your next trip to Italy the minute you leave.

I, for one, think Bologna is a little more authentic Italy and less touristy (with Americans anyway) than Venice, Florence or Verona. Great food in Bologna, too.

If I were in your shoes, I would start in Bologna, head to Venice, then stop in Padua and/or Verona (both well worth a day trip) since both are on the main rail route to Milan. Milan is very big, almost overwhelming, compared to the other cities listed, but the Duomo, Galleria, Opera House and Castel Sforzesco are all fairly close together in the city center. If you get reservations to the Last Supper (I didn't) obviously make that your priority in Milan.

The next time you go to Italy, combine Florence with Pisa and/or Cinque Terre, any random town in Tuscany, Rome (the shangrila for history buffs) and possibly Naples/Amalfi Coast.

Italy is wonderful and no matter what you decide to do, you will have the time of your life.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM

There is no doubt that six days means hard choices in Italy, but since Bologna is so central and well connected, I really don't think AngieK should feel bound to trim her trip what's on this or that train line.

There is actually a direct bus connection from Bologna airport to Siena. So if AngieK would most like to see Tuscany, that's a possibility. To me, a lot depends on how much traveling/plane changing/layovers they are doing to get to Italy.

But more than anything, it depends on their personal interests. Of course it is interesting to see La Scala or Padova, but if you've always wanted to see Bellagio and the glacial, alpine lake, why not when you are begininng in Bologna?

Hoping AngieK will tell us more about her family's ideas of fun.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

WOW!! So many wonderful responses!!
I will clarify a little on what I know of our trip:
Our flights are now scheduled and we will leave the United States Friday, 9/19 and depart Milan on Saturday, 9/27.
We are actually visiting Italy because my husband is purchasing a piece of manufacturing equipment that is being built at a facility in Como Town.
He should only be tied up with "business" for a day or so, and hopefully the girls and I will be able to find wonderful things to occupy our time while he is conducting business
I think in my dreams of Italy, I've never pictured it being full of tourists on the streets, but the more I've seen of recent travel articles, etc., it seems to be that many places are pretty "touristy".
Although we are very much looking forward to seeing some of the main attractions in many areas of Italy, I would love to know of some places that not a lot of people know to visit....I am interested in the lifestyle of the Italian people, the food, the culture, it's all so fascinating to me.
My older daughter is very interested in photography and has taken many courses, so as you can imagine, she is very excited about photo opportunities. In her words, "Mom, I don't think you can take a bad picture anywhere in Italy!"
My younger daughter is more interested in the lifestyles and food of Italy. They are very adventuresome and not the typical teenage girls with picky appetites. They are eager to try it all
My husband and I look forward to romantic spots to drink wine and enjoy our time there.
Please keep the suggestions coming....we are impatiently counting the days..........
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM

I hope your husband's business appointments can be arranged for the middle of your trip or at the end of it, because Bologna is the very heart of Italian gastronomic culture, so your youngest daughter will have her dream come true there, and you other daughter will get lots of opportunities take unusual pictures of an underphotographed town.

From there, you obviously need to get in the vicinity of Como, and if you have to stay there, you'll have plenty of opportunities for marvelous day trips and photo opportunities on the lake, using ferries to places like Bellagio and Varenna, and by train, to historic towns like Bergamo and Verona. In particular, Verona has a variety of Italian attractions -- perhaps the best preserved Roman arena in Italy, a beautiful castle, an exciting duomo, and all those famously romantic balconies Shakespeare wrote about even though he never went there.

To cap it off, Milano is one of the great food capitals of Italy, so you might very well want to take a day trip there to see the Duomo, the Last Supper (if you can get tickets) and browse through the deli of Cracco-Peck. But it's an expensive place to stay, so you need to make a choice:

Were you to stay in Como for your last night, you could get a taxi to take you all to the airport the next morning. Even very early. It would cost over 100 euros, maybe a lot more. However, a Milan hotel room for four is going to cost you a lot of money, too. And you can probably find a cheaper one in Como.

So this is one suggestion for your trip:

Fly to Bologna -- 2 nights there

Move to Verona -- 2/3 nights, with a day trip to Venice (your husband can visit Como from there if need be)

Move to Como -- 2 nights (visit lake towns and Milano)

Car service to airport

Others may have different advice.

If you want to stay in Bologna or Milano, you need to book hotel rooms quickly. If you cannot find room in Bologna, try Ferrra, which is only a train stop away.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM

Sorry for the typo. The name of the town next to Bologna is "Ferrara."

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM

I guess zeppole and I are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

We were in Venice last June (my 2nd trip, my wife's first) and we went there so that she could see it and then see why I preferred Florence. I'll certainly defer to those who know Bologna as I've only ever passed through (and all these stories are making me make mental notes about it for the next time over). However, IMHO, Venice is to Italy as Disneyland is to the USA; a tourist's Mecca where you'll be overcharged for nearly everything and not really have the opportunity to get a sense of the national reality (which is not to say you can't enjoy yourself greatly there; it's just more of an effort I find).

As a Firenzephile, I'm quite sure that many here who know better than I would pooh-pooh my apparent Firenze cheerleading. However, I think if there's anywhere convenient to your itinerary that would allow you the option to get a taste of non-touristy Italy (within your schedule that is), it'd be Florence.

That said, once you've been to Italy (wherever you go and for however long you stay), you'll be back.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Zeppole - - Can you give us currency exchange suggestions. I have read that cashier's checks are not the way to go and that there are plenty of ATM machines...I wonder if this would be the best way to get money while we are there? What part of Italy do you live in?

Knickerbocker - - What was your wife's favorite part of her first trip to Italy?
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Also....can anyone tell me about the weather typically at the end of September?

(Sorry for so many questions.)
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM

<<However, IMHO, Venice is to Italy as Disneyland is to the USA; a tourist's Mecca where you'll be overcharged for nearly everything and not really have the opportunity to get a sense of the national reality (which is not to say you can't enjoy yourself greatly there; it's just more of an effort I find). >>

My feelings exactly on Venice and very well out.

Based on this comment: <<Although we are very much looking forward to seeing some of the main attractions in many areas of Italy, I would love to know of some places that not a lot of people know to visit....I am interested in the lifestyle of the Italian people, the food, the culture, it's all so fascinating to me. >> I would mix it up a little.

Count me another fan of Florence both for the city itself and the accessibility to some of the most beautiful parts of Tuscany so that would always be on my list.

For me, I would choose the Italian Riviera over Como (and certainly over Venice). I found it full of Italians, no many Americans at all until you get closer to the CT and for sheer beauty it is superlative. I cannot imagine a better photo opportunity for your daughter. And the food and wine is far better in Tuscany and Liguria IME.

I enjoy Rapallo and Santa Margherita Ligure is another good choice. They are two hours from Milan and about the same from Bologna.

For me, the ideal use of those days would be to spend the first 3 nights in Florence for the beauty of the art and architecture and the wonderful food and wine, train to the Riviera for 2 nights basing in SML or Rapallo where you can make an easy ferry day trip to Portofino and SML, and then spend the final full day and night in Milan.

This is a nice mix of seaside and natural beauty and art and food.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -