My First Russian cruise – great!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from my first cruise in Russia (recommended to me by a friend). The cruise takes about one week and goes from St. Petersburg down to Moscow along the Volga river and through some lakes and smaller shipping canals. You pass through a lot of old towns and villages and even to a remote island filled with ancient wooden houses. For a river cruise with a really strong cultural element I would highly recommend it. A great trip that really has me hooked on river cruising and also on Russia as a holiday destination. My only drawbacks would be that the ship was a bit cramped (especially at meal times and boarding times) and although they said it was 4 star, it definitely felt a bit 3 star at times to me.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 06:19 AM

Cruise company?
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

I would say, but I think this forum prohibits advertising. Or do you think I am - cruise company?
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 04:36 AM

Normally naming a company you took a tour with is not advertising. But, this is your first post and your trip report is quite scanty - only one short paragraph and does not give any details so some would construe that it may be advertising.

However, tower did ask.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:36 AM

harry ...I have yet to see any trip report that didn't name a cruise company, an airline, a restuaurant,a guide, a car rental, etc ad nauseam. By the samt token I have never seen an advertising post that didn't name the product. And i can't conceive of any ad that would say the derogatory remarks that you included (cramped, not four star, definitely three star, etc.(whatever that means). So you've done your first post. Thanks for the illuminating trip report. I normally do not write reports, but I recently wrote a "Two minute Trip Report on Alaska" .... at least I included a few hundred pix. Bad start, Harry. Suggest you read one of the many "real" reports Fodorites take the time and energy to write for the benefit of others. That's what this forum is all about.
stu tower
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I'm not very well lay out my thoughts in the text. I enjoyed the services of the Volga Dream. http://volgadream.com/
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:36 AM

well, from the note above, you've given yourself away, <i>duroc</i>. Give it up, Harry. Editors, please note and eliminate this thread.
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:35 AM

Also been on a cruise in Russia but a longer one that started in Moscow and went south to the Caspian sea. This route takes you through Stalingrad (now Volgagrad) where you can see the huge Motherland Calls statue (even bigger than the statue of liberty), Kazan (an old Tatar muslim city) and in the end you arrive in Astrakhan which is where black caviar comes from. We took the Volga Dream cruise which I think is the only luxury ship that takes that route. It’s a really small ship with only about 100 passengers and the service is at a really high standard. They even had their own concert pianist onboard (seriously!) for onboard concerts and gave us Russian cooking lessons, not to mention the traditional tea afternoons and fresh fish dinners – definitely a 5 star experience! I’m also now hooked on Russian cruising =)