My FINAL itinerary to Italy.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few days ago I posted asking how to arrange my week in Italy and after reading all your comments my DH and I have decided on the following:-

Nov 4- Arrive by 10 am (after a 7 hour flight). After checking in at the St. regis hotel We will go to St peter's Basilica.Will walk around the Spanish steps and then the trevi fountain area and have dinner there.
Nov 5- Colosseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon. At night have dinner at Piazza NAvona.
Nov 6- Take the 8:55am train to florence. Arrive at 10.31am head to The Excelsior hotel. After check in go to the uffizi gallery (will book tickets). Will have lunch and then head to the accademia gallery to see David (will book tickets)
Nov 7- Ponte Vecchio and then shopping around Santa Maria Novella and Piazza della Signoria. Take the 2:39pm train to Venice. After checking in at the Westin Europa and Regina walk around the city. Have dinner close to the Rialo bridge and then take a gondola ride.
Nov 8- Basilica di Sam marco, galleria dell' accademia and DOge's Palace. HAve dinner around San Marco.
Nov 9- Murano Island and Durano island for some lace shopping. roam the streets of venice of what is left from the day.
Nov 10- Take 7:25am flight to Milan for a connecting noon flight.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Hi
is this all settled, or are you looking for input?
With time so short I wouldn't spend a day on Murano and Burano. There is plenty of lace and glass to be found in Venice proper. I'd either save the Palace or Accademia for that day, to space out the sightseeing and enjoy Venice at a more leisurely pace, or I'd take that day and add it on to Rome or Florence. At the time of year you're going, the likelihood of rain and the certainty of shorter days are also cutting into your time.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Hi Mariam,

Your revised itinerary is much better!

My first thought re: Venice was exactly the same as Elaine's. It will take you over an hour to get out to Burano one way. Murano is very skipable. Scenery-wise it's the same as Venice proper and let's face it, most people have seen glass blowing before!

Two additional suggestions for you that I really enjoyed in Venice:

Il Frari (SP?) church very nearby the Accademia where Verdi is emtombed and with a gorgeous Titian masterpiece. short opening hours though so get there in the morning and will only take a few minutes.

La Scuola dei San Rocco - absolutely amazing! Stay as long as your neck holds out.

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:20 PM

I am traveling to Rome last week of November. This information helps me to plan my trip.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Just a quick note on reservations for Florence museums. We are staying at the Excelsior as well and Massimo the Conceirge has been a great help to us by reserving our tickets for us. We will be there the last week of October.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:16 AM
ira

Hi M,

I also suggest skipping Murano and Burano this visit.

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:17 AM

By all means skip Murano and Burano and do visit the Frari Church and see its wonderous Titians (but don't look for Verdi's tomb as he is buried in Milan). The most wonderful way to spend time in Venice is to get lost and see all of the lovely back streets. If you have a chance in Florence, visit Santa Croce. And if you have time in Rome, try to include the Vatican museums.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:32 AM

I would only do two of these great cities, not all three in one world-wind trip. Short days, a great chance for rain and train rides are complicating factors. I think you also under estimate how much time it takes to get settled in each new location and get your bearings.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Ditto on what others said about Venice...

My other comment would be that the Pantheon is in the vicinity of Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps... Here's a question...if you're going to St. Peter's, why not go to the Vatican Museums?

Here's what I'do... Arrive in Rome, check-in your hotel, and go to the Vatican Museums (they close at 2pm). You'll have little time, so I'd suggest that you focus on the Raphael rooms and the Sistine Chapel. Here's a trick: When you are in the Sistine Chapel, with the Last Judgement behind you, you'll see two exit doors. The one on your left takes you through the collections to the Museum entrance. The one on your right takes you to an alley right next to Saint Peter's. There's a sign there that says 'Tour groups only' or something like that. Just follow one of them. You'll save maybe 1 to 2 hours.

After that, tour Saint Peter's at your leisure, then walk (or take a cab) for dinner in Trastevere. Yes, it is kinda touristy.

The next day, break your day in 2. In the morning, go to the Colosseum and the Forum. After lunch, go to the Centro Storico. It is a rather compact area (you can walk from the Pantheon to Trevi fountain in 10-15 minutes, and then to the Spanish Steps in another 10-15 minutes).
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:10 AM

So Mamc,

Who do they have entombed in Il Frari? It is just a monument to Verdi?
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:12 AM

IMO if you do <b>nothing else</b> in Venice, make certain you are in San Marco in the evening (after other tourists/visitors have left) and listen to the music, or even spring for a cup of HIGH-priced coffee at Florian...it is magic then.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Since many of you are advicing I shouldnt waste my time going to Murano or Burano Island do you think I should still spend Nov 9 in Venice or should I head to Milan for my last night since I am leaving the following day at 1pm!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 04:39 PM

The train from Venice to Milan Centrale station is, as I recall, under three hours, but then you still have to get to Malpensa airport. I wouldn't want to worry about it, I'd take an evening train back toward Milan the night before your flight, and stay near the airport.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Another option would be to spend Nov 9 in Venice and just roam around the whole day and then on Nov 10 rent a car with a driver to take us straight from Venice to Malpensa airport. I think I will need to leave Venice at 7am to get to a 1pm flight.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:10 AM

According to their website http://mv.vatican.va, admission to the Vatican Museums (e.g. the Sistine Chapel) closes at 12:20 in November (visitors already inside must leave by 1:45), so you won't make it there on your first day. I would actually reverse the order or your itinerary, and go to the Vatican on November 5, doing the Museums first so you can at least see the Sistine Chapel. You can walk to/from the Coliseum area from your hotel, so you can do that on your first day, which might give you a chance get your bearings. If you have not already seen a reference to it, the Context Rome group gives excellent tours and they have one of the Collesum/Forum area, go to www.scalareale.org.

I also question trying to fit all this in a week, esp. the short time in Florence and the plan that depends on the trains being on time (and not on strike); you will need to keep flexible and a good attitude if you miss your museum bookings at the Uffizi because of train delays. You need at least 3 hours at the Uffizi IMO so even if your train is on time, getting to the hotel, checking in, then getting to the museum, etc and then seeing the museum may all be tough to accomplish and then find a restaurant serving lunch at 3 pm (other than a pizzeria maybe that is OK). Dont see the Duomo on the list, nor the Piazzale Michalangelo, nor Santa Croce. You also will miss going into the Tuscan countryside which is so beautiful even in November, IMO. Finally, two days in Rome is hardly enough. I did not see you other posts and what your original itinerary was, but with this short a trip and in November, I would skip Venice because of weather and flooding and stick to Rome and Florence. There is a 7:30 flight from Florence to Malpensa that would get you there in plenty of time for a Noon departure, and it is 15 minutes and a $15 cab ride to Florence airport versus 45 minutes or more (by boat and boat and bus) and about 3 times that much to get to Venice airport. If you don't have to go out of Milan, you can get flights out of Florence to connect to other airports and then the US.

If you do end up in Venice, I don't understand the return flight, you can't get a flight to the US from Venice via Frankfurt or another European city? If you are using miles and have to go from Milan then OK, but paying for a car and driver will cost you more than you are saving by using miles, IMO. You probably have to leave at about the same time as the drive would take about 3 hours.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:24 AM

Just one more vote for skipping the islands while on Venice. Save it for another trip when you have more time. Do visit Ca' Rezzonico if time allows.
We loved the palace. Also, the Frari is spectacular. Titian's &quot;Assumption&quot; is fantastic. It is also where Titian is interred. Enjoy Italy. It will become part of your soul.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:46 AM

The Spanish steps aren't worth the time. They are just steps. They are also a good distance from the Vaticam.

Overall, your trip is ill conceived. You are just running from one guidebook sight to another, with no time to just look around the places an see what they are like. I'll bet you are going to more art gallaries on this visit than you would at home in 5 years. Why?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Pausanias

Like everyone else, I think you're rushing a bit. I'd consider dropping a city -- my choice would be Venice.

If you do stick to your plan, you might want to reverse the schedule in Florence. Seeing David at the Accademia (the only real highlight there for most) takes much less time than the Uffizi. That way you can have lunch.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Dayle,

It may be a monument to Verdi. I think a number of the items in I Frari are monuments rather than actual burial places.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 09:35 PM

OK having read your other posts and seeing that you have twice said you like &quot;scenic drives&quot;, I would definitely say to drop Venice and stay in Florence. Rent a car and drive around the countryside; you could easily spend your last night driving towards Milan and overnight in or near Parma, then head to the airport in Milan and drop the car off and get your flight. Parma would be just over an hour from Milan airport, both are on the south side of the city proper so you would avoid most rush hour traffic. As you have a Noon flight this would be a very doable drive up in the morning. Also very scenic, not to mention great cheese. . .

I just looked at the karenbrown.com website and a few b&amp;bs and inns in the Parma/Modena area that look very interesting would be at http://www.hotelposta.re.it/index.asp,
http://www.anticatorre.it/uk/agri.html and http://www.gaidello.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -