My Dordogne Itinerary-just a couple more questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just about got everything set for my 2-week May trip to the Dordogne. I arrive at CDG at 9:20 (hopefully!)and will take TGV to Angouleme, arriving at 2:30. Will pick up car and drive to Bourdeilles (about 1 hour). This time frame worked out better than training to Perigueux, as it gets me there earlier, even though a little longer drive.
Hope I won't be too jet-lagged to find my way!

3 nights at Hostellerie les Griffons in Bourdeilles. Hope to see Brantome, Chateau Puygilheim, Villars Cave(?)Chateau Bourdeilles, St. Jean de Cole, possibly Chateau Jumillac-le-Grand (which looks like a fairy-tale castle, any comments on that chateau?)maybe Perigueux if I have the time.

2 nights at Manoir Hautegente in Coly. See Hautefort on the way there, and maybe Terrasson. Check ticket booth at Lascaux II for an English tour during the next 2 days, as it's near Coly. Then one day while there(and this is one of my questions) drive to Turenne and Collonges. Would that be closer from Coly than Sarlat (where I'm staying next)?

5 nights in Sarlat at Le Renoir. On the way there, I plan to go by way of the Vezere Valley stopping at those sites along the way.
Depending on time, see Museum at Les Eyzies.
While in Sarlat, want to see Beynac,Castelnaud, Cadouin, Montpaziers, Font de Gaume,etc. etc. as much as I can without overdoing!I'll have 4 full days in Sarlat.

2 nights near Rocamadour at Domaine de la Rhue. I thought on the way there see Martel, Carennac, maybe Beaulieu, and Chateau Castelnau-Bretenou. The next day I'll have for Rocamadour, Padirac, and the other little villages.

2 nights Figeac at Hotel Pont d'Or. These 2 days I'm not sure about. My idea now is to go see Ch. Montal, then St.Cere on the way to Figeac, and wander around Figeac in the afternoon.. that will be a Monday. OR,should I drive straight to Pech Merle that day, then see Cahors before driving to Figeac.
The next day I could explore Figeac, drive around the Cele Valley. If I drive straight to Figeac that first day I would go to Pech Merle the AM of 2nd day, skipping Cahors. I'll have a few hours on the 3rd day before taking the train back to Paris for the night.

St. Cirq, Stu Dudley, and any of the rest of you who have helped my so much planning this trip - does all this make sense? Should I make reservation for Font de Gaume and Pech Merle before I leave for trip? Thanks!

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Make sure you see St. Amand de Coly. There is a coppersmith in the town who makes nice stuff, but it is expensive. He used to have a stand in Sarlat during the Saturday market.

Jumillac-le-grand is nice, but there are questionable elements about the story of the wife locked in her tower for the rest of her life, presumably becoming the inspiration for a Perrault tale. The Villars Cave is interesitng only insofar as it has both interesting natural stone formations--it is an active cave--and one or two cave paintings. I would put it down the list of things to see. I prefer Bourdeilles to Puygilhem because the latter is basically an empty shell while the former has furniture and ceiling decorations.

Try to get to the medicine museum in Hautefort. I think that it is more interesting than the castle, which is a reconstruction after the 1968 fire.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:51 AM
ira

topping
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Looks like a good schedule to me.

>>2 nights Figeac at Hotel Pont d'Or. These 2 days I'm not sure about. My idea now is to go see Ch. Montal, then St.Cere on the way to Figeac, and wander around Figeac in the afternoon.. that will be a Monday. OR,should I drive straight to Pech Merle that day, then see Cahors before driving to Figeac.<<<

The latter might be a long day. Since it's Monday, most stores in Cahors will probably be close if they follow the normal Monday closing thing in that region. The time of the English tour of Pech Merle might dictate your schedule for that day. Trying to see Figeac & Cahors in the afternoon while enjoying the Cele Valley might be a little tough, but it's possible

Don't miss Ch Milandes, Domme, and viewing Chastenaud in the AM when it gets the best sunlight. How about a Canoe trip down the Dordogne???

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Michael and Stu, thanks for the replies, and Ira for topping! Glad to get your input on the schedule. I'll probably skip Villars, as I might not have time for all those things I want to do. As for the Figeac part, I will probably go with my first plan, and do Pech Merle the second day, along with the Cele Valley. If I miss Cahors, I'll do that on my next trip, and spend more time in the Lot, along with Albi, and Carcassonne and some of the rest of Languedoc.I don't think I'll ever tire of trips to France! And Stu, the canoe sounds wonderful, but I need a "rowman". I'll have to make do with a "gabare" trip, I'm afraid.