My day with Monet in Paris, please comment

Apr 17th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

L'Orangerie and Petit Palais in the morning

Lunch at Chalet des Iles in the Bois de Boulogne

Musee Marmottan

Late opening at Musee D'Orsay (Thursday)

Anything else I should add to this day to add to the Monet theme?

Any recs for things to see or do in the 16th? A different suggestion for lunch? I haven't spent much time in the 16th other than a visit to Roland Garros with my son and a visit to Foundation Corbusier and a walk past art nouveau buildings designed by Hector Guimard.
Ann Marie
Apr 19th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on ideas in the 16th in the area of the Musee Marmottan?
Ann Marie
Apr 19th, 2012, 06:13 AM

Well, it's not just Monet (it's primarily Renoir), but a trip to the Ile des Impressionistes and lunch at La Maison Fournaise wouldn't seem out of place.

La Table de Joël Robuchon is in the 16ème (haven't been there myself, though it's been on the list a few times).
May 24th, 2012, 07:41 AM

I don't know if you would feel like taking a break for shopping, but I've always enjoyed doing it (shopping, before anyone jumps in ;-) )on rue de Passy. You have most of the shops you'll find elsewhere in Paris, but all on the same street, plus Franck et Fils, which I love.
May 24th, 2012, 01:12 PM

We visited and loved all the museums in your list. We enjoyed a lot, but we did not visit them in one day. I can go to maximum two museums in one day, but prefer to only one.
So, I can not suggest you to add another museum, but maybe to go to a park, to walk..
May 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM

When I do something like this (which I did with Gustave Caillebotte!), I like adding in places in Paris where he lived and places in Paris where he painted.

So, for example, he was born at 45 rue Laffite in the 9th Arrondisement and was baptised at the Notre-Dame-de-Lorette in close proximity to his birth home.

In 1877, Monet rented a studio near the St. Lazare train station and, as I'm sure you know, did a total of 11 paintings of the train station, 7 of which he exhibited that year.

Taking photos of these spots, particularly those demarked in his paintings, is -- well at least to me -- a lot of fun!
May 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas all. valtor, I hear your caution about so many museums in one day. I've been to all but Marmottan in the past and will not attempt to see every exhibit in each. I just thought it might be fun to focus on Monet in a variety of locations.
Ann Marie
May 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM

hi Ann Marie,

when we went to the Marmottan, we had already eaten lunch [at le cinq, no less] so were not really interested in food, but there were one of two nice looking places near the metro; we had a good cup of tea at one on the corner of the street surrounded by youth who were smoking and drinking tea also - very strange.

I think that I would prioritise the ones you've not been to before - the Marmottan was very good. you could go there in the morning, have lunch nearby, and then see what you feel like.

depending when you are going, you could combine it with a visit to the Bagatelle gardens in the Bois which have terrific roses in season.
May 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Check to be sure but I think La Table closed. There are two L'Atelier de Joel Robuchons now.
May 25th, 2012, 05:07 AM

Good suggestion about la Bagatelle, a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon. Besides the wonderful roses, there is the folie d'Artois, built in two months as the result of a bet between Marie-Antoinette and her brother-in-law; lakes, grottoes, birds -- ducks, swans, peacocks strolling the park; some interesting structures -- gazebos, the gardener's cottage.
May 25th, 2012, 05:24 AM

For me the Monets at the D'Orsay and L"Orangerie were great, but at the Marmottan they blew me away.

I'll be interested in your review.
May 25th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

I planned my day with L'Orangerie first because it is more likely to get busy later and with Musee D'Orsay last because I am going on a day when the museum will be open late. However, I like the idea of going directly to Marmottan and environs first and also hitting La Bagatelle. I've not been there before but I loved Jardin des Serres d'Auteil which I just stumbled upon on the way to Roland Garros one summer. hmmmm....
Ann Marie
May 25th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

I will be in Paris the first week of October. I wonder how the gardens will look at that time. No roses obviously.
Ann Marie
May 25th, 2012, 07:30 AM

Agree with TPAYT about the Marmottan. Haven't been there for about 10 years, but still remember how terrific (and uncrowded!) it was. They have a couple of Caillebottes there too, which was one of the reasons I went there.

I do want to mention that at least when I went there, it was one of the FEW museums in Paris where you could NOT take photos. You had to leave your cameras at the front desk. Now that I think about it, while you could use a camera in Monet's Garden in Giverny, it was forbidden to take photos in the house.
May 25th, 2012, 07:33 AM

amwosu, this blog post is dated the 3rd of October, so the visit was a few days before. Sorry the exhibition is finished, but it will give you some idea of what to expect in terms of flowers, etc.

http://muguetdeparis.com/2008/10/04/...-la-bagatelle/
May 25th, 2012, 07:39 AM

And I should have mentioned, about the Marmottan, as familiar as we all are with Monet's works, when I visited there for the first time, I said, "I have never seen Monet until today."

I'm not sure, perhaps it has a lot to do with not having to elbow your way through tour groups, but sitting and contemplating the works did it for me.
May 25th, 2012, 08:37 AM

toupary - that garden looks lovely, and still pretty good in October.

i know that you wanted this to be a Monet day, Ann Marie, but could you stretch a point and go to the Orangerie early on another day.

without that, you'd have a very well-balanced itineray - the Marmottan, lunch, the gardens, and back into Paris for the late opening Musee D'Orsay.
May 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM

I was thinking along the same lines, annhig. The Marmottan first, with the work that gave the name to the movement, and ending with l'Orangerie, with his latest and largest work -- even if on another day.
Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I'm following advice above and will rework the plan to start at the Marmottan. Thanks all!
Ann Marie
Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:22 PM

bookmark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO