My 88 year old mother wants me to take her on a short break

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She lives in her own house near Glasgow and is mobile, but very slow.
She's just asked me to organise a short break for 3-4 nights at the end of July and I haven't a clue where to take her. I'm thinking of using my car to get around but I'm not sure of the most suitable accommodation i.e. either rooms in a hotel or possible a cottage where I can cook for her. Has anyone out there had to do something similar and can give me some ideas? I had thought of Crieff Hydro but I suspect it would be too hilly for her.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
what sort of things does she want to see?

Most self catering properties will require a full week's rental in July, so a cottage might not work out for you.

If it were me, I'd look for a hotel in a fabulous location w/ views right from the rooms and public spaces so if she doesn't feel too chipper she can still enjoy the surroundings.

I'll give it some thought and see what I can find. There are several Scots Fodorites who may have good suggestions for you.

What is your budget?
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM

We stayed at 21 Hanover Street in Edinburgh and it was lovely. It looked just like the pictures....we had stairs...but there are 3 apartments there.

The bus station was next door and a cab stop across the street....so all that was handy.

Took a tour while there with Scotline Tours....it was great!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:42 PM

Forgot to say it is self catering and we stayed only four nights.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:15 PM

joebear: Yes, many self-catering city flats (in Edinburgh, London, etc.) will rent for short breaks and w/ any starting day. But TheBigMan and I were talking about cottages. About 95+% of country cottages only rent for full weeks Between May and September and mostly w/ a Saturday starting day.

TheBigMan: Don't know of any of these fit your needs but check them out

http://www.kingswoodhotel.co.uk/ Good location in Fife and it has ground floor/handicapped accessible rooms.

This one is on Arran http://www.auchrannie.co.uk/ Again w/ ground floor rooms

http://www.allt-nan-ros.co.uk/ is in Onich

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM

I thought Big Man said rooms in a hotel or a cottage.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:13 AM

joebear: yep - &quot;<i>either rooms in a hotel or possible a cottage where I can cook for her</i>&quot;

But they are different animals. A hotel - OR - self catering cottage. One you can stay 1 night or 4 nights or whatever, The other, you need to book a full week, normally Sat to Sat.

I was trying to explain that in the middle of summer a cottage that rents for 3-4 days would be hard to find.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM

Hi, there, Big Man. Hoo's it gaun?

First off, the AA have a section in their books of places with good disabled (or, I assume mobility impaired) access.

I'm wondering about a ground floor room at the Pierhouse at Port Appin?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM

Personally, I would suggest a hotel rather than self catering as it would be more of a break for both of you. I would choose somewhere with a bar and restaurant and request ground floor rooms if possible. My mother is very immobile but has enjoyed hotel stays immensely. If possible, look into taking a fold up wheelchair to help with trips out, age concern may be able to tell you where to rent one from for a short time. My mother resisted this idea for years but found it extremely useful once we finally persuaded her. Even for walking around town and doing a bit of shopping it makes a big difference and opens up a lot of possibilities that are otherwise closed off.
Good luck,
Carol
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM

That is a good point...Just back from a funeral where I was made more aware of how hard it is for some to get around. Something we take for granted....The wheelchair would be great when in crowds...sometimes we are not so mindful of others as we should be.

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses and helpful suggestions. I'm now looking at the Cally Palace at Gatehouse of Fleet. Has anyone stayed there?

Carolina, thanks for the wheelchair tip. This is one of the main problems - I can drive to lots of nice places but she can't walk any distance. I'll investigate further.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM

BigMan, I just want to say that you are a wonderful son to do this for your mother. I hope that you and your mother have a wonderful time.