Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My 60th birthday with 3 adult children -- Italy or northern Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To celebrate my 60th birthday, I want to spend about a week (approximately Aug. 8 - 16) somewhere in Europe with my 3 adult children (21-28). All of us have been to Italy often (especially Tuscany) and we adore it but there are places (especially in the Northwest / Lakes and South like Puglia & Sicily) that we have not really visited.

I am concerned about heat -- even in northern Italy -- during August. Any suggestions about great places in Italy -- NOT beach but city locations that would offer lots of see and do.

Also, any suggestions for alternatives outside of Italy with lots to see and do -- preferably city-type stuff -- further north -- cities like Bruges, York, Dublin, or Amsterdam, for example that I've not really visited before.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi martha,

if it has to be Italy [and i guess that it doesn't] then the lakes would be my favourite. that said, we went to lake garda for a week in august about 5 years ago and it was boiling hot. loads to see and do though, and great food, hotels, pools, etc. etc, plus the boat trips round the lake which make it very relaxing.

alternatively, if you've not been to amsterdam, you could have a nice time in that area [not necessarily staying in amsterdam itself, but flying in there]. plenty to do in A'dam plus Haarlem, Delft, etc. etc.

regards, ann
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM

How about splitting your time between Copenhagen and Stockholm? We will be on a cruise of Baltic but intend to extend our stay before and after the cruise in those two cities and I'm looking forward to seeing some new and interesting cosmopolitan activities with cool(er) temps in August there than elsewhere. You could fly into one, get a reasonably priced flight between and fly out of the other.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM

I would avoid Italy in August unless you love hot weather.
Amsterdam or Stockholm would be nice.
Switzerland?
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM

If you are concerned about heat I would DEFINITELY avoid Italy in August and wait for another time. We loved the time we spent in Sweden a few years ago. Stockholm was spectacularly beautiful and very interesting as well. We also took a trip to the countryside in Dalarna (spelling?), but I hear that that area is very crowded in high season. Have you thought about Scotland? Or Switzerland in the Engedine (spelling) area.

Buon viaggio!