Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My 2003 Photos Online - Includes Madrid, Alsace, Cornwall, Wales & more

Jan 13th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

If anyones interested then my travel photos from last year are now online at http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~pantry/

They include pretty much everywhere we have travelled since the digicam arrived this time last year (they have been edited down to a sensible number though - it's amazing how addictive digital cameras can be )

Destinations were :
South Wales - Lots of day trips around here as this is where I live
Alsace - Spent a great week touring around Alsace at Easter 2003
Cornwall - Spent a weekend in St.Ives in September
Madrid - Spent 3 nights here in October for a stag weekend

Let me know if you would like any more info about the places in the photos.

Cheers

Steve
Jan 13th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Your photos are glorious!

You've revived many pleasant memories from our trips to wales and cornwall!

I'm going to trade in my digital for a Canon , like yours!
Jan 13th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jody.

If you're considering a new camera then have a look at http://www.pbase.com/cameras

It contains hundreds of images taken by users of many different cameras - and 90% of them are better than anything I could produce. A useful resource to help pick the next camera.

Also http://www.dpreview.com/ for in depth reviews of digicams

Steve
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:06 PM

Hi Steve,
The photos are great. Particularly liked Alsace, one of my favourite places, and the Canal photos in Wales. Is Govilon on the Monmouth and Brecon canal? My family is definitely planning a narrowboat holiday there next year.
Rosemary
Jan 13th, 2004, 06:20 PM

Enjoyed your photographs - thank you for sharing them. Monmouth looks amazing. Did you visit Ledbury in Herefordshire? If so, would love to see some photos.
Regards!
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:49 AM

topping for a friend
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Govilon is indeed on the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. Have a look at
http://www.blakes.co.uk/index2.asp?loc=2
for some info on canal and boating holidays in the UK. In my youth my family and I had boating holidays on both the Norfolk Broads and the River Thames. At the time I preferred the Thames as there were locks to navigate - hence more interesting for kids. Great way of relaxing though, as the slower pace stops you rushing through things.

We walked part way along the canal during a walk from our Ordnance Survey guide.

Can throroughly recommend these guides. Published by Jarrold called the Ordnance Survey Pathfinder Guides. We have done a number of walks from both the 'Brecon Beacons and Glamorgan', and 'Wye Valley and Forest of Dean' books. A great way of getting off the beaten track. Each walk is graded for difficulty and comes with detailed Ordnance survey maps. Amazon.com stock them (although with ridiculous delivery times) or you could pick them up in most bookshops in the UK. (Example ISBN = 0711706719)

Advert over

We have been to Ledbury, but I think this must have been before the digital camera arrived - as I cannot find any photos of it.

Jan 14th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Hi Steve,
Thanks for that. Actually I have canal boating info coming out of my ears at the moment. We had two weeks on the Llangollen and Shropshire Union Canals during our last long trip to Britain and loved it. We planned to contact Cambrian Cruisers near Brecon this time. Wales is a lovely place.
Rosemary
(Australia)