MVV Day Tickets in Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We understand that only the ticket machines at Munich Airport take credit cards. In order to conserve Euro currency, we were thinking of using a credit card to buy several one-day MVV day tickets to be used over the course of our stay. Must the tickets be used the SAME day they are bought? We figured that since they must be validated prior to use, they could be used whenever. Can anyone clarify, please? Thanks.

Also, has anyone successfully used a US-issued credit card in these ticket machines? Thanks again.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM

You are correct that the tickets must be validated (entwertet) before use, and that puts the current date on them, so presumably they can be purchased in advance and validated on the day you use them.

Howvever, it is not true that only ticket machines at the airport take credit cards. I think they all do. Right now I am looking at a digital picture I took on an MVV automat at the S-Bahn station in Poing, a small suburban station, and it clearly shows a CC slot.

I always try to use cash in the machines, so I can't tell you for sure that they use US-issued cards, but I believe they do. I believe, for instance, that MasterCard is accepted wherever EuroCard is, and the MVV automat in my picture has a EuroCard logo. I have also used my VISA card in DB automats.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Larry. We read somewhere that, apart from the one(s) at Munich Airport, all other MVV ticket machines take only credit cards that have the Smart chip.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:23 PM

Hi leenie,

Your information is correct. Only the ticket machines at Munich airport take credit cards.

To make things complicated there are four different types of machines:

- in buses/streetcars: pay with cash/chip on debit card -> already validated tickets (no purchase in advance for other days)

- in subway stations/ S-Bahn stations/ at streetcar stops: pay with cash/ chip on debit card -> not validated, advance purchase possible

- in train stations/ most S-Bahn stations: machines run by Deutsche Bahn (the railway company), which also sell MVV tickets: while you can use CC to pay for tickets for the long-distance trains, you need a debit card to purchase the MVV tickets from the same machine! -> not validated, advance purchase possible

- in subway stations: special machines for weekly and monthly passes, debit card with PIN only

If you stay only in the central section of Munich (i.e. the city limits, plus some neighboring communities, but NOT destinations like Dachau, and NOT the trip from the airport), you can get a single 3-day-pass for € 12.30, or a "partner 3-day pass" for up to 5 adults for €21.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM

Maybe your debit card with pin will work. Mine (german) almost always worked in the States, at Starbuck's for example or in supermarkets. Worth a try.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Cowboy1968, your reply is very comprehensive and helpful -- thanks so much!

Thank you too, Watzmann, for your suggestion. We've never used a debit card but will look into it.

What a wonderful place Fodor's forum is -- so many kind and helpful people!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM

You could also use you credit card to buy the tickets at the "DB service stores" at many S-Bahn stations. Why use a machine, when a human will do the job with a smile and at no extra cost.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM

But be aware that DB does charge a premium for intercity tickets purchased from a human at a <i>Reisezentrum</i>.