Search

"Musts" for Madrid, San Sebastien, Segovia and Toledo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Musts" for Madrid, San Sebastien, Segovia and Toledo

Hello,

Quick! Give me your top recommendations for Madrid,San Sebastien, Segovia and Toledo. Whether it's a "must stay," "must see," or "must eat," I'm looking for your most memorable moments in these four cities. Muchas gracias!
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Madrid - the Prado and Picasso's Guernica (housed elsewhere - someone will have the exact name)and just wandering the older streets.

Toledo - my best tip is STAY OVERNIGHT. The place is still fascinating during the day but is overrun with tour groups. At night it seems to get its soul back. The effect was perhaps enhanced for me because I was lucky enough to be there when there was a ceremony of some sort at the Cathedral in the evening. There was music and many ladies were wearing traditional dress complete with mantilla. The cathedral itself is wonderful!!

Cheers.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Have you read Maribels Guides yet?
That will answer your questions
http://www.maribelsguides.com/index.html

Also do a search here on fodors that will be really helpful.

Spain is more than specific places its more like these comments:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...sdon&fid=2
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations episode in Spain - I have rarely drooled at food on televison but omg this could do it! He went to some lovely little spot in San Sebastien - so check it out!
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Try again sorry
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...amp;dirtyBit=1

Old Dec 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Madrid:
Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, Palacio Real, Walking along Paseo de la Castellana, el Parque del Oeste,churros and hot chocolate at Chocolateria San Gines, "merienda" or tea time at Mallorca confiterie on calle Serrano, a drink at the lobby bar at the Palace hotel, dinner at Casa Lucio, tapas at the Plaza Santa Ana bars, wandering around the grocery store at El Corte Ingles or in Hypercor....

Toledo:
Sinagoga el Transito, Sinagoga Santa Maria la Blanca, the Cathedral de Toledo, getting lost and feeling the energy of the place, eating figuritas de mazapan, buying sweets from the convent. staying overnight at the Parador de Toledo and having dinner in it's restaurant
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM

Coming under the transparente, behind the high altar, in the cathedral in Toledo, makes my jaw drop every time. That, alone, makes it one of my favorite cathedrals and worth the trip to Toledo.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM

Oh, and the Prado in Madrid, my favorite big museum. Goya, Valasquez, Rubens, Titian,etc., and don't miss Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 01:32 AM

afterall writes: <<Madrid - the Prado and Picasso's Guernica (housed elsewhere - someone will have the exact name)and just wandering the older streets.>>
I believe Picasso's Guernika is still housed at Centro de Arte de la Reina Sofia. That's across from the Puerta de Atocha (rail station) and just a 15min walk from the Museo del Prado.

Also in Madrid: street performers in Retiro Park on a Sunday morning.
Enter at Puerta de Alcalá

Segovia: Catedral, Alcazar, Aqueduct

Toledo: hire a taxi for Panoramica Tour. He/she will take you to the heights across the river for some Panoramic views (foto-opps).