Mustard in a tube?!

Old May 16th, 1999, 09:31 AM
Nancy

Mustard in a tube?!

While watching a video on Germany I saw a segment where the guide discussed making up your own picnic lunches, which is what we plan to do. They were putting together their sandwich and they squeezed something out of a metal tube (like an old toothpaste tube before it went plastic) that looked like mustard!

Is that how condiments come packaged in Europe. I thought it was ingenious! I had been wondering how I was going to deal with either taking tons of the packets from home or eating a dry sandwich!!

I realize to experienced european travelers this sounds crazy, but if anyone can let me know I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Old May 16th, 1999, 10:38 AM
John

When I lived in Germany (1993) they sold tomato paste in a tube so I wouldn't be surprised if they also have other condiments in tubes today.

Old May 16th, 1999, 04:52 PM
Mustang81

While in Europe last fall I purchased mayo in a toothpaste tube and brought it home. But I think that you have to refrigerate once you open it. We always picnic lunch while in Europe, and like you, I bring the individual fast food condiment packets.

Old May 16th, 1999, 05:05 PM
Glenn

Nancy, yes you can by most of the condiments in tubes in Germany. You can also buy them in jars. I found them great for traveling around with. Just throw into a backpack and go. You can find them at a pork store here and there. Just wait until you see all the meats to make a sandwhich from!!

Old May 17th, 1999, 03:56 AM
Nancy

Thanks for all the replies! I can't wait to find more of these different everyday items.

When I saw it in the video I thought it would be a good idea. Why do you suppose we don't have it over here?

Old May 17th, 1999, 06:16 AM
Doug

Europe seems to have lots of great ideas that America seems afraid to adopt. The first that comes to mind is the way employees are treated - 6 weeks vacation per year and longer lunches. Rent an European car and you'll freak out over all the nifty ideas they've installed for your comfort - heated seats, radios that display the station's call letters, individualized thermostats, special headlights for fog or dawn/dusk, manual windshield wipers (you twist a knob that moves the wipers just once to wipe off a light mist). There are buttons I never figured out on my Renault. I'd love to own an European toilet - they use less water and stay cleaner because of their direct drop to the bottom.

I suspect that even if someone in the U.S. tried to sell mustard in a tube, the tree-hugger crowd would protest and say they aren't recyclable like mustard jars.

Old May 18th, 1999, 04:21 AM
A Vernon

Doug nailed this one...it's a recycling issue. Tubes might be fun, but I want my condiments in glass or plastic -- so I can haul them to the local recyle site.

Old May 18th, 1999, 10:18 AM
pauline

I Germany, you can also get mustard & tomato ketchup together in the same tupe - you squeeze it out in stripes.

Of course, there's also the conventional stuff in jars.

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 10:11 PM
Dennis Holland

The Germans are probably further along in the recycling game than in the U.S. There are bins in supermarkets to drop of unnecessary packaging from items you just bought. Most people go shoppping with cloth or net bags and the stores charge extra for plastic bags. The trash is also separated and recycled. In many hallways the lights are on timers and go out after about a minute so electricity is not wasted. My relatives have an on demand hot water heater so there is no tank that keeps having to be reheated until it is used. Also very few people have air conditioning in their homes or vehicles. Gasoline is heavily taxed and public transportation convenient so that people commute by bike, train or streetcar in most cities.
I could cite other examples but wasteful the Germans are not

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 03:26 AM
Eileen

In Switzerland, the mayonnaise, mustard, and tartare sauce come in tubes as well. The "Thomy" brand is really good.

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 05:45 PM
KRISTA

I don't know anything about all this tube stuff. I'm just excited about the whole "taking packages of condiments" idea. I NEVER thought of this. No more dry sandwiches!

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 08:23 PM
Karen

If you have a Cost Plus store in your area, they carry condiments in tubes. Also, our stores have at least tomato paste in a tube and our "gourmet" higher priced store carries all of them.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 02:14 PM
Sheila

A good reason for not buying mustard in a tube is...it tastes horrid.

There are different sorts of mustard here and all of them are spicier than any american mustard I have ever tried.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 04:12 PM
lynne

I've seen the mustard in my local deli in Ottawa. I've also seen the tomato paste in a tube. My deli caters to European clients--maybe you just need to check out some delis?

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 02:12 PM
bronwyn

If you can't get to Germany, the Silver Swan restaurant on East 20th street in NYC is the perfect place to satisfy your curiosity for mustard in a tube. Order a beer and marvel at the "ingenious" condiment packaging!