"must sees" NEAR Portofino and Ravello

Old May 1st, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"must sees" NEAR Portofino and Ravello

I will be in Portofino and Ravello next week and want to discover some enchanted towns, destination highlights, restaurants in the area (30-45 minutes max, but would be better if your suggestions are closer).

Also, any must sees in Portofino and Ravello would also be appreciated

I have already been to CT, SML, Camogli, Positano, Amalfi, Sorrento, Ischia, Capri.

P.S i need to be in Portofino and Ravello for business

Old May 1st, 2006, 06:51 PM

Well, the must sees in ravello are the gardens and the view and the sight of the food and wine on your table.

go to Villa Cimbrone. Where are you staying in Ravello? Some hotels have wonderful views. You know you will be right above Amalfi where you were before so you know the towns nearby. Have fun.
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM
TahitiTams

I am so jealous..
Must see's before you go is this classic website for the Hotel Splendido in Portofino.. and when you are there you must check it out..
Stunning would be the word I would use but the website will get you in the mood for your trip and the music is what I love and I leave it on, played over and over because it is so intoxicating..
Have a wonderful trip!

www.hotelsplendido.com

Old May 1st, 2006, 08:24 PM

It takes 30 minutes to get anywhere from either Ravello or Portofino.

You will do best if you ask the locals once you are there, especially regarding restaurants out of town. Inside Ravello, the restaurants are excellent. Da Salvatore is my favorite, but others like Villa Maria and Cumpa Cosima.

People seldom talk about good restaurants in Portofino. Write back if you find one.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:47 PM

TahitiTams: I had to go check out the website for the music, then had to look up the music. It is Fred Buscaglione singing "I Found My Love in Portofino".
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:58 AM
kdcwood

I second SeaUrchin's recommendation of visiting the Villa Cimbrone in Ravello, one of my favorite spots in all of Europe.

See photos from our two visits last summer here: http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3585

Kathy

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:49 AM
MaureenB

I recommend you visit Santa Margherita Ligure, which is a very nice harbor town, larger than Portofino. It has shops, restaurants, and markets to choose from. It seemed less touristy, and less busy.
We were in Portofino for just a half-day trip and thought it was very expensive, and much smaller than we expected. We ate a very simple lunch, sitting by the waterside in Portofino, and it cost as much as a complete dinner in restaurants elsewhere!

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:06 AM

To me Ravello itself is a must see. I would definitely say Villa Cimbrione is a must see in Ravello and Villa Rufulo as well.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Well the boat to San Fruttoso should be running. It's a tiny town south of Camogli, north of Portofino. And have you been to Genoa?

If I went back to the Amalfi Coast, I'd go to Paestum with its well-preserved Greek temples. I assume you've already visited Pompeii and Herculaneum?