Reload this Page >

Must See's Italy - Most Agree On!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Mom

I have trolled this board dreaming on a never-taken trip to Europe for over a year now. I've appreciated & learned a lot and can appreciate the varied likes and dislikes, but would like to sum it up. Specifically, what are the places in Italy that one would want to return to spend more time or explore more in depth (I already am sure of Venice)that everyone would likely agree whole-heartedly? To rephrase, where are the "must see's" both indoors & outdoors? I'm from the southern U.S. What is the best time of year to visit to avoid crowds, very cold or very hot weather, smelly water (in Venice I hear). How long would be long enough but not too long for a first and maybe only trip to Italy. Finally, what would be the best tour and tour company for a family with 2 teens. I believe travel is highly educational. My teens are typical pop-culture, average public school kids, live in a planned community in a suburb of a large city. Sadly, they don't have many outside experiences and I want them to be awakened, enlightened, and inspired beyond the tiny shallow world they live in. (Wouldn't it be great if there were an inspirational tour geered towards these types of teens led by one who can relate to them and educate them in a way they get it. We are a close family, but they glaze over when I talk about educational things and European adventures. They aren't totally sheltered as they have vacationed in Mexico, Florida, New Mexico, Hawaii. A tour group of managable size desired,and one that allows a fair amount of time to explore on your own and not rush you through everywhere like cattle only to miss some of the best charm right around the corner. We would like charming inns full of ambience that are clean, nice but not necessarily luxurious (maybe semi-deluxe) both ones city convenient and one's to experience the countryside. May be using freqent flyer miles so how far in advance should we book it to insure ample availability? Please advise and thank you in advance!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Selena

I would go for at least 3 weeks. I would cover the big towns... Venice <BR>( for the beautiful back canals and St. Marks), Florence ( for David and the Uffizi), and Rome ( for St.Peters and the Coloseum, the Trevi, Piazza Navona ect..). I would either go to the Cinque Terre, Lake Como, or the Amalfi to see the scenic Italy. I would go to Tuscany and stay at a farm stay. The kids would love this. Vineyards and olive groves are very educational.<BR>DO NOT GO in the summer. May or Oct. are best. Venice isnt smelly to me.<BR>We stay in apartments in cities instead of hotels. They are cheaper and it makes you feel more like a resident than a tourist. Online you can find apartments by typing in &quot;apartments in Rome&quot; for example. Our apartment in Rome was near the Vatican. It was really nice. In planning your trip a good way to calculate the cost ... $100.00 a day per person plus airfair. It may be less or more depending on your budget and the accomidations and transportation you pick. Driving in Italy is fun. I would avoid big cities with a car.<BR>Good luck to you....Italy is my favorite country and you will love it..<BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:53 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>Since you asked, crowds and of course heat are at their worst in July and Aug, but if you have kids, you may have to go at that time. If your kids are out of school in late June into early July,that would be better. <BR><BR>Two weeks would be great if you can manage it, any longer and it may be a little too much family togetherness even in the best of families, and your teens will be missing their friends.<BR><BR>I would still still not be overly ambitious, even if you go for longer than two weeks. You'll want to spend a few days in each place so as not to be constantly packing, unpacking, and traveling. You'll also want the luxury of some free afternoons when your teens go off on their own for a couple of hours, or you find time to relax at a pool if you've found a hotel with a pool. Or just relax with a book for a few hours. <BR><BR>Most people here will try to discourage your from a tour? What makes you want to consider it? The only advantage I can think of for your family is luggage handling; other than that, it would be difficult to find a group tour that will have enough activities as well as flexibility to constantly entertain both adults and teens. Unless you can design your own tour with your own guide, I'd consider planning this yourself.<BR><BR>I haven't been to enough regions in Italy to make suggestions on all areas.<BR>As a starter, I'd say at least 5 days in Rome, at least 3 in Venice, and 3 in Florence. If you can include some 3 days or so of resort time on the Amalfi Coast and/or the Lakes and/or Cinque Terre, perhaps end the trip with one of those locations, so you come home not worn out, but refreshed.<BR><BR>Florence is art museum heaven, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. You can daytrip from there to Siena or to a Chianti winery, for example. Or to Pisa.<BR><BR>The above would be best if you fly into onc city, such as Rome, and fly home from Milan or Venice.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:26 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

SO, YOU WANT TO SEE ITALY !<BR>FIRST, GET A GOOD MAP ! Having planned more then sixty personalized itineraries to southern Europe and Italy, I have learned that the best trip plans start with a good map. It takes about six weeks to see most of Italy, and that does not include Sicily.<BR>So, any typical two week sojourn requires a geographic orientation and thoughtful planning to optimize the total experience. The temptation is to try to see too much, and that is a big mistake. My advice is to limit yourself to FIVE DESTINATIONS OR LESS for any two week itinerary. Perceive Italy as geographic regions and plan accordingly. Here is a menu to help you to plan well. Let your total time<BR>in Italy, and a good map, determine your feasible choices !<BR><BR> THE BEST DESTINATIONS IN ITALY---BY CATEGORY---NORTH TO SOUTH<BR><BR>REGIONS OF NATURAL SPLENDOR:<BR>1. The Lakes of Lombardy/Piedmonte [ Maggiore, Como, Lugano, Orta]<BR>2. The Dolomites/Lake Garda [ Cortina, Ortisei, Merano, Riva del Garda]<BR>3. The Ligurian Coast [ Portofino, Cinque Terre, Portovenere]<BR>4. Tuscany/ Umbria [ quaint and historic hill towns]<BR>5. The Amalfi Coast [ Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, Capri] <BR><BR>THE HISTORICAL ART CITIES:<BR>1. Venice &amp; Veneto [ allow 3 days---more if you include Vicenza, Verona et al]<BR>2. Florence [ it all happened here--plan for 2 days just in Florence]<BR>3. Siena [ deserves a full day, perhaps as a day trip from Florence]<BR>4. Rome [ the Eternal City demands 5 days---some would say two weeks]<BR><BR>ROMANTIC RESORT DESTINATIONS:<BR>1. Bellagio [ the best of Lago Como]<BR>2. Cortina [ the Vail of Italy--ski resort in heart of the Dolomites]<BR>3. Portofino/ Santa Margherita [ splendid sea-side venue]<BR> 4. Positano [ the best location to explore the Amalfi coast] <BR> 5. Taormina [ fabulous sea-side location in Sicily]<BR> 6. Ravello [ la dolce vita above the Amalfi coast]<BR> <BR> <BR><BR> <BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Ross Bernard III Jr.

Well... I saw some really nice grass near the hotel

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Mom

FINALLY, I found my post and all your wonderful replies! I thought it was lost forever. Thank you for all your wonderful ideas. I forgot to mention the teens are 16 &amp; 17. The $100 day + airfare is a great point of reference re: cost. 2-3 wks seems plenty adequate for a single trip. It will probably be first 2-3 wks in June. I know from experience not to try to cover too much in too short of time. It's exhausting and I don't remember what was where. Better to see less, savor more. Looks like we are most interested in the following: Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany/Umbria (quaint hill towns &amp; stay at a farm, Amalfi Coast (base in Positano &amp; see all that Bob mentioned), &amp; possibly Lake Como based on how many days we have. Not necessarily in that order. Please advise on order. I like the idea to end w/ R&amp;R. We often come home from vacation needing one to rest from it! Is it best to fly, train, or drive everywhere or combo of all? Ideas? Is it much more expensive is it to fly out of a different location than you flew in to? Can you do that on FF miles? Places to stay, 3 stars or 4 stars to get charming, tasteful, private baths, room to sleep 4? I was reminded that same cost can get very different things in different locations. Don't need big service or pampering, but want to enjoy the place and it be more than a place to crash even though not a lot of time spent there. A pleasant, charming place to stay without spending more than necessary is an important part of the overall experience to me. We are not musuem buffs, but want to hit the highlights enough to appreciate &amp; get more interested. I like narrated tours so you know what you are looking at without having to have your nose in a book or missing the significance all together. Oh, and about the tours i.e. Trafalgar, etc. they sounded appealing as long as not too limiting when I got to looking into all the logistics. We are typically independent do-it-yourselfer's but enjoying the ride without the hassle sounded good. However, I get the impression that too much is missed or they use up so much time with a group that you cover far less. Thanks again for all the advice. Keep it coming!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Mom

I forgot one thing: San G sounds good too. Where would it fit in to the above?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:29 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mom, Lots of good options. I would do this order--based on the car and flights:<BR>Rome<BR>Venice<BR>Florence [get car as you leave]<BR>Tuscany/Umbria<BR>Amalfi coast<BR>last nite near FCO<BR>That is a good 18 days or more.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:32 AM
mom

Thanks Bob. I also forgot the ruins in Pompeii or one similar I read about here that is more convenient. I know I am stretching.