MUST SEE PALCES IN ROME AND VENICE

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:23 PM
CRIS

MUST SEE PALCES IN ROME AND VENICE

WE ARE PLANNING A TRIP TO VENICE AND ROME IN MID SEPT TO OCTOBER CAN ANYBODY GIVE US ANY SUGGESTION ON THE MUST SEE PLACES. WE ARE ON A TIGHT BUDGET PLEASE HELP

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:39 PM
sarah

Both of these cities have numerous things to see. In Rome if you are careful it is fairly easy to stick to a budget must see colloseum, vatican city (free first sunday of each month) trevi fountain (free) the area by the spanish steps is where everyone hangs out early evening and again no charge for this! Venice is harder to stay on a budget the water taxis are quite pricey when you are using them all day- in venice I would aim to see st Marks Square don't buy anything in the cafes there far too pricey- the bridge of sighs is free. If you get the right water bus- you can have a very cheap tour of the city. Pick up a guide and check the routes. Anyway both of these cities are beautiful even if you are just wandering around the streets so don't worry too much about cost. Hope you have a good time.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Ed

Must sees in Rome? Virtually too many to list, but here's a shot at the top 20:

Saint Peter's
Sistine Chapel & Vatican Museums
Roman Forum
Palatine Hill
Capitoline Hill
Castel S. Angelo
Colosseum
Spanish Steps (& Piazza di Spagna)
Pantheon
Trevi Fountain
Santa Maria Maggiore
Piazza Navona
Catacombs
Piazza Venezia
San Paolo
Nero's Golden House
Borghese Gallery
Vatican Necropolis
Statue of Moses in San Pietro in Vincoli
Tre Scalini's Tartufo con Panna

twenj

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Cher

Venice is one of the most wonderful spots in the world---and not pricey, if you know what you're doing. The museums, basilica, and duomo are fabulous and relatively inexpensive to visit. DO take the elevator to the top of the basilica---great view of all Venice! When I was there 3 years ago, three of the fancy restaurants in St. Mark's Square had small combos playing OUTSIDE in the evening. If you choose to sit down in the roped off areas, just order wine. May I recommend SAOVE, a nice light white Italian wine? If not, stand behind the ropes and enjoy the music for free! There's a great little CHEAP sandwich shop at the left corner next to St. Mark's---they work fairly fast, so decide what you'd like before you get the attention of a server. They have big glass cases, so you can just point if you want to. There's no place to sit down there, but go out in the square and sit on a bench. It's FREE! Frommer's Guide lists some inexpensive restuarants, but a good source is Fodor.com. (I'm investigating Istanbul myself.) On the far side of the square behind the museo is Harry's, a famous little bar often overcrowded, and even though it's a bit pricey, have a Bellini! It's worth it. Prepare to get lost wandering the "streets" of Venice---but the Venetians are great folk. Just remember where your hotel is! I suggest you take a card or at least write down the info and take it with you. You can roam Venice, enjoy a gelato, cruise the Grand Canal as the Italians do with a cheap ticket on a vaporetto (water taxi) and have a grand time. Don't be hesitant to ask for price lists for EVERYTHING when you eat out. I had wine that cost as much as the dinner---and I couldn't tell any big difference! That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps. Remember: "See Venice and die." You'll have a great time!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Diane

How long will you be in Venice? We bought the 3-day vaporetto passes and really got great use from them. They are good for 72 hours from the time you validate them in the machine outside the first stop where you board one. (No further worry about validating them, keep them with you in case you are asked to show your ticket--or you will have to pay a fine.) They cost 35,000 (a bit over $15US) lira per person. I would suggest it is well worth visiting St. Marks (and echo the suggestion to go up to the top of the basilica). We found the Doges' Palace to be wonderful, but we could only get one audio tour (they were all out! it was a rainy day) and it took a long time to go through -- although we learned much more about the art and the artists represented than had we not had one. Other than that, I'd suggest you just enjoy people watching as much as possible. Window shopping is wonderful. Buy snacks in little shops...pastries, cheeses, interesting breads, sweets...You'll find little places to stop for a sidewalk glass of wine or beer "off the beaten path." DO visit the Rialto market area in the morning. If you get there REALLY early, you can see the boats pull up and unload...but stay out from underfoot! In Rome, find one of the free tours of the forum. The guides are terrific (they hope you'll book a paid tour for elsewhere). We enjoyed it and DID book a tour of St Peters and the Vatican Museums for the next morning. It was about $15US per person, and admission to the Vatican museum was extra...oh oh, cost?...I know I got 4 Vatican 1000 lira coins (great souvenirs) for change so I think I probably paid for two tickets with a 20,000 and that was the change) but really worth it. Over 5 hours and that's just hitting the high points. It was well worth the price. (I believe this group was "Walking Tours of Rome.") At a minimum, I'd plan for those. So much else is free for your enjoyment!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 10:11 AM
K

The favorite place I visited in Venice was a church - Santa Maria dei Glorioso dei Frari. It's simply called "dei Frari" for short. Outside was relatively plain, but inside the art was stunning. Many famous works by Titian, della Robbia, and someone else who's name I can't remember at the moment. It's closer to the Rialto side of town than the San Marco side. I don't remember if there was an admission charge. If there was it was very small.

Do be very careful of pick pockets and scam artists in Venice.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Andy

I loved the Peggy Guggenhiem museum-used to be her personal home on the Grand Canal-now museum filled with art by Henri Moore,Picasso,Miro,Calder-they even made some of her furniture--absolutely facinating to actually live surrounded by all these grreat artists--A DEFINITE must in my book

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Diane

We loved Peggy's place too. I think she REALLY knew how to enjoy all that wealth. What a wonderful lifestyle.