Must see/do/buy in Salzburg for Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I have settled on staying in Salzburg from Dec 22-26th. We have two kids, 7 and 3, and want your recommendations on what to do and see. The markets are a must and part of the reason we are going! I am deliberating the Sound of Music tour--previous threads seemed mixed on this one. What else???
Also, what will we kick ourselves for not buying at the market?
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:51 AM

Not sure if this is of interest to you, but it is something I believe you can do in Salzburg only this time of year, a trip to the church where the pastor (priest?) wrote the carol "Silent Night". I was planning my own trip for Salzburg for New Years and found a trip report here about a family that did just that with a church service and everything (maybe it was on Christmas Eve).
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:53 AM
ira

Hi P,

>I am deliberating the Sound of Music tour-...<

Are your family members, especially the kids, great fans of SoM?

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

I am a huge fan of SOM! My husband would humor me by going along. My 7 year old loves the songs, but not the entire movie. And the three year old would go along with anything if I have snacks on hand! So kind of a mixed bag--that's why I'm torn.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 05:46 AM
BKP

I can't comment on Salzburg or specifically on the Sound of Music tour. But, as a mom planning trips to please everyone else, I CAN comment. If you want to do it -- go. It might not be everyone else's dream, but I am sure you have spent time trying to fulfill their dreams too, right? Don't forget that it's your vacation too.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM

Here are list of the markets:

Christmas market on Mirabell Square
Nov 22 - Dec 24, 2007:
Mondays through Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., December 24: 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Musical entertainment program in front of Mirabell Palace on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at 5:15 p.m.
http://www.weihnachtsmarkt-salzburg.at/

Romantic Advent Market in the Hohensalzburg Fortress courtyard
Each Advent weekend (starting Dec 1) and December 8:
Saturdays, Sundays and Holiday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Featuring local arts and crafts, charming gifts, Christmas treats and an entertaining social program.
http://www.salzburg-burgen.at/

Advent Magic in Hellbrunn
Nov 24 - Dec 24, 2007:
Wednesday to Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., December 24: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Lovely Advent market in the Hellbrunn courtyard and palace with a comprehensive social program.
http://www.adventzauber.tv/

Advent Market in the Sterngarten
Nov. 22 - Dec. 23, 2007:
Mondays through Fridays from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Arts & crafts market
http://www.sternadvent.at/
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM

ira, taking this off on a tangent -
I just received a surprise email about a possible visit to the Steffen Thomas museum think you may be familiar with it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:54 AM

We did the SOM tour 10 years ago when we visited Salzburg and we liked it. We did not have a car on the trip and it was a good way to get out and see the beautiful countryside. Plus, we got to luge as part of the tour which was very fun.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:16 AM

My husband and I have spent several weeks at different times in Salzburg. The Austrians do not understand our facination with the SOM, but they will take your Euros. The kids, you,and your husband will LOVE the SALT MINE tour in Hallein, including the clothes you wear. We have never found anyone who did not like it. It is one that can be done by train anda little bus from Salzburg with ease. Perhaps someone knows if it will be operational during the time of your trip. Enjoy!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:17 AM

The SoM tour was great fun! I took it a few years ago, and it was a great way to get acclimated to the area...
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:02 PM

bookmarking
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM

There is an ice skating rink set up in the main square (Residenzplatz), and they have these little penguin figures that the little kids can push around in their skates - keeps them on their feet.

I'm pretty sure the markets have rides for the little ones. I'd also consider a horse/carriage ride. They leave right from the Residenzplatz and have blankets to tuck around you. We did this in Vienna and it was a great way to spend an hour or so.

We hired a driver to take us to the countryside and he assumed we wanted to see all the SOM sites (we wouldn't have requested that tour). We loved the countryside, saw some cool things, did a cable car up a mountainside (not SOM related), so it was fine. For us (not having requested this particular tour) the SOM things were amusing. Our kids were both in high school, but I think it's a lot of driving around for children the ages of yours.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:05 AM

And here is more specific information about Oberndorf, the "Silent Night" town including the time on Christmas Eve for the special Silent Night service.

http://tinyurl.com/29rn8c

From that same page the contact information for the local tourist office is as follows:

Oberndorf Tourist Information Office
Stille-Nacht-Platz 2
5110 Oberndorf
Tel. +43/(0)6272/4422
Fax: DW 4
E-mail: [email protected]
www.oberndorf.co.at/info

(Yes, this is the same posting I just put under the Salzburg restaurant for Christmas topic but then I realized this was maybe more appropriate.)
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone!!
We will definitely head towards the salt mines and try out the ice skating!
My father-in-law mentioned the "Silent Night" church, so I'm going to check into that too!
I think we may divide and conquer with the SOM tour!
I also saw a thing about a nearby brewery, Stiegl, which would just be a dream come true for my husband! It looked like they had a Christmas Eve gathering there too!
Thanks, thanks, thanks! Great recommendations!!
BTW, what is a "must have" from the markets? I have a feeling I will be amazed by it all and on overload! We are traveling by car, so we have room for various treasures!
Also, any info on Christmas Eve/Day church services?
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM

I'm the one who posted Salzburg Christmas dinner thread but I found a lot of helpful information from here too. Thank you everybody! We will stay in Salzburg from Dec 22-26 too. We want to see a salt mine but kind of confuse about them. Seems like there are several salt mines around Salzburg, which one is the most interesting and can be reach by public transportation?
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Our family has spent two Christmases in Salzburg: 1999 when our daughter was 6 and 2003 when she was 10. We loved it and hopefully will be back for another Christmas soon.

I do highly recommend the SOM tour, especially if some of your group have enjoyed the movie and the music. Beyond the connection with the movie, the tour will take you to some spots in and around Salzburg that you might not otherwise see. We especially enjoyed the detour out to the Salzkammergut and short stops in St. Gilgen and Mondsee.

We actually put up a little tree in our hotel room both years. (The hotel asked only that we not use real candles!!) We bought our tree at the big Christmas market near the Mozartplatz. There are markets in a couple of squares and you can buy some nice Christmas things. As I recall, the markets kind of closed up around noon/1 pm on Christmas Eve, so plan accordingly. Christmas Eve afternoon is very very quiet. We had lunch at Herzl both years, and our hotel (the Wolf Dietrich) had a Christmas Eve dinner. On Christmas Day (both years) we had a big lunch at the Hotel Stadtkrug. On Christmas night we've gone to a classical music concert. We've also been to the Marrionette theater, but this is much more serious than what you're thinking-- ie it's not a cute little puppet show for kids. Our daughter enjoyed it, but to be honest-- not that much.

Christmas Day is also kind of quiet, but we were surprised to find a few shops open. In 1999 we went on a long walk and in 2003 we took the funicular up to the castle.

You might be able to take public transportation out to St. Gilgen. There is a cable car that goes right from the village up to the top of the mountain and you can walk around a bit there. The views are spectacular. That could be a good day excursion, including lunch in St. Gilgen.

I believe there are several tour bus companies that do a tour to Berchtesgaden. We've been to the salt mine there twice and once to the salt mine near Hallein. The salt mines all seem to be quite similar, and we've enjoyed them every time.

You've picked a great Christmas destination. Enjoy!!

Kathy
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM

We thought the SOM tour was cheesy but fun. One thing we really liked about it was going out into the Salzkammergut to Mondsee (wedding scene church) to see the beautiful countryside.

The silent night chapel is tiny and I am glad I have visited it once.

The Christmas eve service at the cathedral is impressive. It ends in candlelight with a guitar and small choir doing Silent Night. As the last notes fade the huge bell overhead starts to toll. That is answered by every church bell in town. If you decide to go to that find out when the doors open and go to line up way before that. It is standing room only and not much of that.

Another thought is a horse drawn sleigh ride in the mountains near Salzburg. Book early on that since space is limited.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM

I contacted Berchtesgaden about the post bus from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden. There is also a salt mine here which is open December 26.

You can go from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden at 9.15, 10.15, 11.15, 14.15, 16.15 an d 18.15; from Berchtesgaden to Salzburg 9.15, 10.15, 13.15, 15.15 17.15 and 19.15. The bus will be running 45 Minutes one way. The busnumber is 840 and you can get in at Salzburg railway station and it is ending at Berchtesgaden railway station.

Salzbergwerk Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden Salt Mine

11:30- 3:30 p.m. 14€ each
Closed Dec. 24 and 25 Open Dec. 26
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 09:52 AM

The fortress Hohensalzburg is open on Christmas day.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM

pgnewby, we did SOM tour last year and even my very reluctant DH enjoyed it. Beautiful scenery on the ride. Highly recommend you get one of the tours that uses a van with limited numbers rather than the big bus tours. We did Bob's Tours and we pleased with it.

Looking forward to meeting you Christmas Day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -