Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Must one disembark from a Greek ferry at 5:30?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning an overnight ferry trip from Crete (Chania) to Piraeus which arrives at 5:30. It is a Blue Star ferry. Does anyone know if you have a cabin, if you are allowed to stay in it for a few more hours? It doesn't sound like much fun to have to disembark at that hour of the morning.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM

They pretty much made us leave upon arrival. They need to clean the rooms and turn around the ship for the next voyage. Go to bed early the night before.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

I wasn't so concerned about the length of the night as I was about getting off a boat at 5:30 a.m. (in the dark, I imagine) going into Athens, arriving by 6 or 6:30 and then sightseeing? I should probably look in to seeing how early we could get in to our hotel. Maybe a lengthy breakfast in Piraeus would help.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM

I would suggest getting off the Blue star and right on to the Metro GREEN line (the Metro Building is right opposite the Blue Star dock) for Central Athens; that's where everyone else will be going. If your hotel is nearest Syntagma Square, get off at Monastiraki station platform and switch to BLUE line for one stop. if your hotel is near the Acropolis Station get off at Omonia platform and switch to RED line for a couple of stops. Get to your hotel, dump your bags, beg sweetly for early check-in, THEN find breakfast...
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM

To clarify, if you take the Piraeus Green Line train one stop past the Monastiraki Metro Station to the Omonia Station you can tansfer there to the Red Line 3 stops to the Akropoli Station. If you get off at the Monastiraki Station you'll need to take the Blue line one stop to Syntagma and transfer there to the Red line 1 stop to the Akropoli Station.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the detailed replies. Are we more likely to get an early check-in by asking for it now or asking for it when we get there? I suppose they wouldn't know if they have a room available early until that day. Is that right?
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:54 AM

You're right, they probably wouldn't know until the day, depends how many check out for early flights/ferries. The majority of hotels do have luggage storage though, so you should be able to leave it & go off to eat, explore, shop etc until your room is available.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM

Blue Star Ferries don't run from Hania to Pireas. Tho only operator on this route is ANEK Lines (www.anek.gr).
The ships normally stay in Pireas all day and leave again for Crete in the evening. Therefore, there should be no rush to get off at 0530, unless you're travelling with a vehicle. I've seen people stay on the ship after arrival, but I don't think the crew would want you there for "a few hours". The best thing would be to ask the ship's purser in the evening.
As others have said, you'll be able to leave your luggage in your hotel. I've never know a hotel anywhere that won't look after luggage before or after staying in the hotel.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

You're right! I was thinking about another ferry trip I'm planning with Blue Star and forgot the Chania-Piraeus one was Anek. Maybe that will give us a little more time in the morning. I'll ask as you suggested. Thanks for straightening me out!
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM

Although the schedule has not yet been updated and confirmed for 2009, you might want to keep an eye out for the Hellenic Seaways Highspeed4 from Piraeus to Rethymno, Crete as a backup alternative. There are frequent buses from Rethymnon to both Chania and Heraklion.

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/rethymno-piraeus.htm
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Brother -- I appreciate your assistance. However, that boat arrives at 4:30 which is even worse -- or am I not reading it correctly?

I emailed Anek lines a bit ago and they answered (on Sunday afternoon our time!) that if the ferry is not going back out, one can arrange with the staff about a later time to leave. So that will probably help us out. Thanks to GeoffHamer for suggesting this possibility.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM

You're right about the arrival time, but remember I just mentioned it as a backup.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Do you think I should reserve tickets now so that I don't need a backup? I wanted to wait a little longer since I imagine they might be non-refundable.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM

Assuming your departure is still set for early May, I don't think it's at all necessary to book now. Just wait until you get to Greece. You can book at Amphitrion Holidays in the Main Hall of the Athens Airport between exit/entry doors 2&3. You can book at Pelican Travel in Fira on Santorini. You can book at a ticket office at or near the port in Heraklion. You can book at a ticket office at or near the port in Chania.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

That's good to know.
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

We just returned from the above mentioned trip. A couple of things we learned -- we were able to buy the ferry tickets at Amphitrion in the Main Hall of the airport, BUT they only took cash! We had to immediately get alot of cash from our ATM card.

Also we were allowed to stay in our cabin on the Anek ferry for one hour after landing and allowed to stay on the boat (in the lounge) for another hour or so. By that time it was light and we were more comfortable walking around the dock area -- also more awake! LOL They had coffee and fresh-squeezed orange juice available free for passengers that morning.

Hope this info may help others.