Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Must Do's See's with 4 days in Upper Engadine

Mar 13th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

I have taken Ingo's advice (thank you Ingo), and booked the Pensiun Chaste in Sils for four days. Having never been to the Engadine Region, I am wondering if there are any absolute "must's" in the area. All advice is welcome, though shopping in St Moritz, unless tis of the window variety is out. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Mar 14th, 2005, 02:15 AM

Visit Guarda and Tarasp, I especially love Guarda.

Skip St Moritz and go to Pontresina instead, prettier, smaller. Good walks in the area.

Do at least one walk in the area. Trails are well-marked and they have trails for all abilities. Lonely Planet has a very good walking guide to Switzerland. I donít know the Sils area very well, but I would assume there are good walks in that area as well, esp around the lakes.

Take the train via St Moritz down to Bergen, Fillisur, Tiefencastle or as far as Chur and back. IMO the most beautiful train ride in Switzerland, esp the part between St Moritz and Bergun or Fillisur. Sit on the left side of the train going down and the right side coming back up. Go to rail.ch for schedules from Sils. You could also do this as a circuit from Sils to Davos (2 hours), spend a few hours in Davos (take the funicular up to the Berhof hotel for wonderful views, have lunch and walk down), and then head back to Sils getting another chance to see the gorgeous Bergun/St Moritz portion.

Take the Bernina Express over to Italy and back from Pontresina or St Moritz. (The Bernina also includes the Chur/Bergun route described above, but from your location, I would do that portion on your own on one day, and then if you are interested in bits above the treeline, on another day take the Bernina from Pontresina or St Moritz over the glaciers and down into Italy and back.)

Mar 14th, 2005, 02:28 AM

Hi Corgwyn,

I'd also like to add a bike ride -- rent from the St Moritz train station and take off for the trail around the lake & on towards Sils! Terrific day.

Also like to second Cicerone's suggestions, especially Guarda, Pontresina, & Bernina Express (be sure to stop in Poschiavo for lunch & scenery, and to stop at Alp Grum to sit & stare at the mighty glacier).

s
Mar 14th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Another vote for Pontresina--especially for the Alp Languard-Muottas Muragl hike and the horse drawn carriage (or easy hike) to the Hotel Restaurant Roseggletscher and its dessert buffet.
Mar 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Hi all,

you won't believe it, but I am checking in from Sils (public library, a few steps from the Pensiun Chaste!). They close soon, so I am a bit in a hurry. Only a few comments -

All the above suggestions are excellent. I agree with Bernina Express (go as far as Poschiavo, maybe Miralago, but the last portion into Italy is a bit boring IMO). Maybe stop at the Diavolezza cable car, get up and enjoy the gorgeous views.

Visit Muottas Muragl (funicular), add the short hike (walk) to Alp Languard and take the chair-lift down to Pontresina.

Don't miss the Fex Valley (Val Fex, Sils) - either per horse-drawn carriage or walking.

Soglio in the Bregaglia valley is not to miss also. And so is Guarda in the Lower Engadine ...

A must for me are the beautiful old Grand Hotels with original ambience from the Belle Epoque. Pick one of those and have an afternoon Tea there - The Waldhaus in Sils is great, other options are Kulm and Palace in St. Moritz or Grand Hotel Kronenhof in Pontresina.

Try the yummy nut cake (best at Kochendörfer's Hotel Albris in Pontresina), Bündner Fleisch (thin slices of dried meat) and red wine from neighbouring Italy.

Here is a link to my St. Moritz (Upper Engadine) page on Virtualtourist:
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/a88f9/

A revair!

Ingo
Mar 16th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Ingo! You devil! I hope you're having a great vacation.
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Looks like we have our work cut out for us, how to do all this in only four days. Oh,well, tis a dirty job, but someone has to try. Thanks all.
Mar 19th, 2005, 12:34 PM

Ingo, as you are in the area (or of course anyone else who might know):

Do you know if the lakeside walk from Maloja to Silvaplana can be done at this time of the year, or is there too much snow?
Lonely planet "Walking in Switzerland" says "it can generally be done at any time of the year except winter". Now I'm not sure how they define winter, and in particular what this winter/spring (?) is like in Engadine....
Thanks a lot! I'll be going there in a few days and can't wait!
Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Ingo,

Since you are there, when you get the chance, would you send a description of the Pension Chaste? It woould be much appreciated.