Must Depart/return Switzerland

May 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Must Depart/return Switzerland

Flying in and out of Switzerland. One week work and one week vac. Want to take in 2-3 cities/areas in Italy.(Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice) Car Rental on AutoEurope is $208 USD for 7 days. Haven't been able to get train fares from Trentalia, so I don't have any info to compare, but wouldn't it be easier & cost effictive to rent a car rather than try to figure out the train stations and tickets to 2 or 3 Italian areas??
May 29th, 2007, 11:09 AM

yes
May 29th, 2007, 11:17 AM

If you're only hitting those cities/areas in Italy,(Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice), you'd be absolutely better off going by train.
May 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM

www.cisalpino.com is the company that runs most cross border Italy-Suisse trains. www.sbb.ch, Swiss railways site may have fares.

Train fares in Italy are much cheaper than the rest of Europe. Personally would not want a car in Florence or Venice or 5 Lands where they are useless so suggest the train unless you want to explore areas in between your three destinations - if just for those forego the car.
May 29th, 2007, 12:32 PM

$208 sounds awfully low for a week. Is that for a car to be driven in Italy? does it include all the mandatory insurance? And then there's the cost of petrol/gasoline.

Venice,, CT, and Floence are all easily reached by train from Switzerland, And you wn't have to pay for parking the car while you visit each one. There is nothing at all difficult about figuring out the train stations, and you can buy tickets when you get there if you like. I like the Swiss rail site (www.sbb.ch or www.rail.ch) for schedules, even for trains in Italy. It won't give you prices, however.
May 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Any reason why you don't want to spend that week in Switzerland?
May 29th, 2007, 02:34 PM

What city in Switzerland are you flying in and out of?
May 29th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Suze: Flying in/out Zurich. To change ticket destination would be $250. Being a newbe, didn't go with Open Jaw. Live and learn.

Bettyk: Will be spending a week in Switz, and really wanted to see Italy.

Enzian: Actually, I called AutoEurope and after add-ons it will be $265 w/Tom Tom GPS. Have to call my Auto Ins to see if they cover me in EU. Renting in Switz, didn't have to get the expensive Italy ins.

I don't understand why one can't get train fare prices ahead of time--how can you budget? You can get airline, cruise, auto...why not train in EU? Anyone know what the Train cost would be from Zurich to Cinque Terre to Venice to Zurich? Ballpark would be great!! Thanks ALL Fodorites! You've been MOST HELPFUL.
May 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Sorry, I only know the Geneva area. But I have taken the train from there to Venice on two different occasions. Once round-trip (one way by night train, coming back by day, the other time night train them continuing on to Paris).
May 29th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Remember to drive a car in Switzerland you need to have a special pass; make sure that's included or that you know how to get one.
May 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Suze: Do recall how much it was to/from Venice? At least it would give me an idea. I have colleagues in Switzerland, so they should be able to tell me how much to Geneva. I am especially interested in the cost of the night train and how was it? How long did it take? Thanks...
May 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I don't remember the exact cost, but it is about approximate to the price of a medium hotel for 1 night.

I love the night train, and from Geneva to Venice it takes right about "overnight"! I got on in Vevey at midnight, and off at Santa Lucia around 6:30 or so in the morning, if I remember right.

Cost depends if you book a private wagon-lit cabin or a shared couchette for your sleeping arrangements.
May 29th, 2007, 03:20 PM

You can get fares within Switzerland on the Swiss site, www.sbb.ch. And the Italy fares must be on Trenitalia somewhere bbecause I know people buy their tickets there, I just don't use that site so I can't help. You might try Budget European Travel Systems (BETS) or (as a last resort) RailEurope.

I would make sure that AutoEurope price is based on agreement that you can take the car into Italy. We rented from them IN Italy and they said CDW coverage was mandatory and could not be waived, even if we had coverage through our own insurance and credit card.
May 29th, 2007, 03:26 PM

I found some prices under the ClickRail internet specials (good only in the next few days). Zürich to Milan, 70 SFr in 2d class. But I don't know how that compares to regular prices. The Swiss website says you can call them and ask.
May 30th, 2007, 12:33 AM

>I don't understand why one can't get train fare prices ahead of time--how can you budget? You can get airline, cruise, auto...why not train in EU?

Why in EU? Itīs Italian Railways that you have a problem with.

Usually the "deep" databases for cross-border trips are not available online, only to the railway employees, but a quick call to SBB or Trenitalia should fix this problem.

As to the train prices ahead of time - they will be the same as tomorrow.

And as to 265 US$ for a car - have you already added tolls, gas, parking fees?