Music in Vienna - recommendations?

Apr 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Music in Vienna - recommendations?

We'll be in Vienna for 4 days in June, and definitely want to take advantage of some of the musical offerings. I've looked at various venues online, but am having trouble figuring out what to pick.

Do you pick by venue? Or just go for a composer you like? I assume it's better/safer to buy tickets now, is that correct?

One of the days we'll be there is a Sunday. I read (somewhere) that the Vienna Boys Choir appears at a full mass. You can buy expensive tickets online, but I read somewhere ELSE, that you can just go in and stand for free. Is that true? I'm pretty sure I'm not up for sitting through a full mass anyway.

Thanks for your help,
Alice
Apr 26th, 2011, 11:58 PM

You do not give the dates of your visit and thus impossible to make specific recommendations

You can check these siters as they are the major culturall venues

www.musikverein.at
home to the Vienna Philharmonic andf the famous New Years Concert.

State Opera

www.wiener-staatsoper.at

one of the premiere opera houses of the world.

Volksoper
www.volksoper.at

usually lighter operetta offerings - good quality.

Konzerthaus

www.konzerthaus.at

these sites will provide schedules etc.

For the above venues - order quickly in advance as most sell out.
Choose the type music you like .

many other concerts are offered too. Many have small orchestras in old costumes and wigs.
They need these items to attract unsuspecting tourists to their overprised and lesser quality music.
Resist the efforts of the hard sell ticket sellers to these type music offerings.
They crowd by major tourist sights selling thes concert tickets - showig a book of photos an doffering most anything to make a sale.

Also chaeck the requent Church concerts - often these are free of cost little - often very good.

St. peters Church just off the pedestrian way Graben in city center is one such Church.

The Vienna Choir Boys - sinfg at the sunday mass in the Hofburgkapelle

www.wsk.at

This is a very small chapel in the Hofburg Palace complex.

Yes, free standing room - but this is tourist season- capacity quite limited for this too and most often many pushing for this opportunity - you see little or nothing - The Boys are just part of the Mass - in german
Apr 27th, 2011, 12:35 AM

We attended the mass, mid-range tickets if I remember. You can't see the choir but of course the voices are lovely and after the mass they come to in front of the altar to sing a last hymn. Not sure if you could see them from standing room.

As Molker said, it is solemn mass. I declined the host, someone next to us put it in her handbag, which I thought a bit unusual and did trigger a fit of giggles. Oh well. Overall, a lovely experience. We had coffee in the square after and some of the choir boys were there with parents, etc, in their sailor-style uniforms.

Highly recommend all of Molker's suggestions although I've never been able to get tickets to the Vienna Philharmonic, maybe next time.
Apr 27th, 2011, 02:39 AM

Alice9,

I really like the musical offerings at St. Michael's church. I can't ever seem to find the listing of their musical schedule online and have to wait until we get to Vienna to run over there. (molker---maybe you have a suggestion to find their schedule before she gets here?).

The organist and musical conductor is Manuel Schuen who I think is very talented. If they have something playing while you are there, that's one think I would definitely recommend.

We're in Vienna now (yeay!), but sadly nothing is going on at St. Michael's during our stay. We just missed all the Easter hoopla....if I had to do it over, I think I might have timed it to have Easter here!

Enjoy!

LisaG
Apr 27th, 2011, 04:27 AM

Lisa,

LOVE Vienna! Where are you staying? Are the rose gardens blooming?
Apr 27th, 2011, 04:40 AM

for the Michaeler Kiche Church of St. Michael

www.michaelerkirche.at

in german but nost things recognizable.

Example Vespers - first Monday of each month.

If in Vienna now

St. Peters

an organ concert tonight the 27th at 8 PM mostly Bach and Handel

www.peterskirche.at
too.

Roses not in bloom yet - an early spring still relatively warm
perhaps blooming comes early middle may to the end perhaps- much depends on near term weather .

free - donations if you wish
Apr 27th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

We'll be in Vienna from June 16-20. Molker, thanks so much for the many links to check out. And I particularly do NOT want to go to lesser quality, period costume... shows, as opposed to real concerts. I had not considered an operetta, but that's very appealing.

Thanks everyone for the comments on the mass, too much for me I think (we're not Catholic, just interested in hearing the choir boys for a bit if it's easy to do).

Alice
Apr 27th, 2011, 05:07 AM

I am surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the Liechtenstein Museum Sunday concerts. Not only do you get to view one of the world's best collections of Baroque art in a beautiful palace setting, you get high quality concerts too. Much better than the tourist-oriented costume concerts, IMO.

On June 19, the Studio da Camera Wien offers keyboard and chamber music composed by the Bach family.
The full schedule for 2011 is here:
http://www.liechtensteinmuseum.at/as...EUM_2011_E.pdf
Apr 27th, 2011, 05:38 AM

I realize you may not be interested, Alice9, but for others who are reading this thread on music in Vienna, consider the Sunday 11 am Mass at the Augustinerkirche. When we were there in September, it was Mozart's Krönungsmesse. Organ, choir, orchestral instruments--it was magnificent!

For the schedule, see--
http://www.hochamt.at/augustines_programm.php

Mass begins at 11 am. We arrived at 10;30 to find every seat taken! Plan to arrive early!
Apr 27th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

FoFoBT, thanks for the tip on the Liechtenstein Museum Sunday concerts! Alice
Apr 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM

One should realize that the content and quality of the Sunday only concerts at the Liechtenstein can vary greatly.
Often these are presented by young but talented members of Vienna music schools.
Sometimes part of the program can be a reading too. Not really great for non german speakers.
You must look carefully at the program content and the performers- Some much better than others still no comparison to those programs at the major music venues.
Apr 27th, 2011, 10:06 AM

Molker, WHERE in my post did I suggest that the Liechtenstein concerts were better than those at Musikverein and the Konzerthaus??? You have given a VERY radical intepretation of my text.

I have attended many concerts at the museum, however, and they were all quite good. The link I posted lists the performers for each concert, so it's easy for someone to research to find out if they meet their standards.
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM

Cathinjoetown,

Sorry for the delay in replying....just got back in from seeing Rigoletto at the Volksoper....very good production. We are staying at Pension Suzanne (our second time here, so we like it):
http://www.pension-suzanne.at/english/index_2.htm

Molker,

Thanks for that link. I now see that the listing of the musical offerings is only accessible on the German language part of the site. As soon as you click on the English language section, it limits what you can see. Thanks for that!

LisaG
Apr 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM

love Pension-Suzanne LisaG.
Also recommend the "free" mass at St Augustine's but we got there an hour before-sublime music
Apr 28th, 2011, 08:02 AM

For some posting here - I suggest that they look more closely to my comments regarding certain music venues. Some seem to read things not there. As one who lives in Vienna and attends most of the major venues from time to time, I do know some about the musicpresented in the city.
From the Vienna Philharmonic through others.
My comments certainly not radical but based on years of experience.

Augustiner Church is known for interseting added music to the Mass, often by well known stars of Vienna music scene.

My comments stand.
Apr 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM

Molker,

I always value your advice. I think FoFo over-reacted a bit as I saw nothing confrontational in your comments.
Apr 28th, 2011, 08:36 AM

"Some seem to read things not there. As one who lives in Vienna and attends most of the major venues from time to time, I do know some about the musicpresented in the city.
From the Vienna Philharmonic through others.
My comments certainly not radical but based on years of experience"

You did indeed twist what I said. I NEVER said that the Liechtenstein Museum concerts were superior to the Konzerthaus or Musikverein. I merely offered them as another choice. You then pissed all over the suggestion from your lofty perch as a Vienna resident. I'm sorry, were ONLY Vienna residents allowed to make suggestions? Where EXACTLY did I say you didn't know anything about the music in Vienna. Your interpretation of what I wrote was NOT correct. And it was radical to even begin to imply that I was suggesting that the Liechtenstein concerts were superior to the Philharmonic etc. I ask again, WHERE in my post did I say that.

And what's with the "some seem to..." bit - there's is no need to be so smug and snarky.
Apr 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM

"...you get high quality concerts too. Much better than the tourist-oriented costume concerts, IMO"

FoFoBT,

I read this as saying you thought they were better than Musikverein and the Konzerthaus ...
Apr 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Molker you gave excellent advice, just ignore FoFoBt she gets rattled when people question her advice or opinions.

As elberko commented, she certainly did indicate that those concerrts at the museum were better than the Musikverein and the Konzerthaus

Also "You then pissed all over the suggestion from your lofty perch as a Vienna resident."

A classic case of the pot calling the kettle black
Apr 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM

Thank You Geordie, elberko,Cathinjoetown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO