MUSIC - IN EUROPE (HELP)

Search

MUSIC - IN EUROPE (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MUSIC - IN EUROPE (HELP)

I'm interested in any music related sights in or near the countries/cities i'll be visiting (Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Krakow, Warsaw, and Bratislava). From a composer's childhood home to his/her graveyard, and anything inbetween (places he/she used to play, an instrument that he/she played, a monument built in his/her memory, concerts played on his/her behalf). I will consider visit each and every place that you 'fodorites' mention...thank you in advance. I'm excited about this blog as I'm sure there's so much I don't know about.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:25 AM

In Prague there is the Museum of Music on Malstranske Namesti. ISTR that Dvorak is burried in the cemetery at Vysehrad.

There are concerts all the time in all sorts of places. You could probably spend all summer going to concerts you discover just by reading the placards at the train stations.....
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Jason, I'm an amateur pianist and have a particular interest in Central European composers, so have done a lot of that. That is really a tall order to list everything like that for all those places. I think you could find a lot by reading the city websites, and even guidebooks have a lot of the really wellknown things, as it is a major interest in Vienna and Prague, at least.

In Prague, you can visit both Dvorak's home as an adult and the place Mozart stayed when he was residing there (Bertramka, where he wrote Don Giovanni). There is a Smetana museum on the river (will be in any guidebook). Both Dvorak and Smetana, as well as the artist Mucha, are buried in Vysehrad cemetery. The Czech Music Museum is at 2/4 Karmelitska street in Mala Strana, in a baroque church (Mary Magdalene). Of course there are famous theaters and concert halls there, like the Estates Theatre where DOn Giovannni premiered. Dvorak's and Smetana's memorials are not in Prague.

AS for Vienna, well so many composers lived there at some time -- you can visit Mozart's home, as well as Haydn's (and there is a Brahms' "room" in the Haydn house which has his piano and some effects) and Strauss apt., and there is a Schubert museum, also. Vienna has a good music museum. I can't really name all the venues with musical historical connections in Vienna, there are too many (eg, the Hall of Mirrors in Schonbrunn palace where Mozart gave a famous recital for Maria Theresa at age 6).

Chopin's birth home is a big deal in Warsaw, I'm sure you'll find out about that (it is really about an hour outside of the city), but he didn't live in Warsaw as an adult -- I think he left in his late teens. There is a statue of Paderewski near the Warsaw Conservatory. I can't think of anything special in Krakow, actually, related to a composer.
There are memorials or monuments to Strauss, Beethoven and Mozart, at least, that I can think of. I just can't name all the sites related to those guys and their stays in Vienna, there are too many.

Beethoven is buried in Vienna's central cemetery, as well as Schubert, Brahms, Strauss and Suppe and Salieri. Mozart was not buried there, but his memorial is there near all those graves.

Of course the two native most famous composers of Hungary are probably Liszt and Bartok, although a lot of top conductors are Hungarian (Szell, Ormandy, Solti, Reiner). There is the famous Liszt music academy, of course, and a statue of him near the opera house. The Hungarian National Museum has some famous musical instrument specimens (ie, Beethoven's piano). There is a small Bartok museum in one of his homes.

There are too many concerts of note in all these places, and venues where famous composers played for me to detail, unfortunately. Maybe you can find more detailed information online in websites related to classical music sites or these composers, or a specialized guidebook.

I haven't ben to Bratislava.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM

You have got a big plate from which to dine. I just got back from Prague, and (double darn) I did not allow enough time to see the Mozart Museum.

The Dvorak Museum has several translated pages that you can read and a video presentation on his life.

My one regret was that the English version was hard to understand because of poor sound quality.

It was playing when I walked upstairs and many people were there. I got the impression that most of them were not native speakers. If I was struggling with comprehension, I wonder how they understood any of it?

The Smetana Museum is well done. Also if you have time for live performances, I can assure you that the Mozart tradition is alive and thriving in Prague.

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input...Christina, you've provided me with some wonderful information here - thank you for your time - if you think of anything else...

Also, if anybody has any good links on this material, or links to sites that have detailed (central) European musical sights...

Did you see Beethoven's piano? Do you recommend making this trip? Have you been to any of the museum's? Which did you cherish the most?

Thank you.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

ttt