Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Museums in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/museums-in-paris-35576/)

Dan Dec 15th, 1998 04:51 PM

Museums in Paris

We're going to Paris for Christmas. We were wondering if it pays to get the special 3 day museum pass. Will there be long lines for the museums at this time of year? Can we get the pass at any one of the museums? <BR> <BR>Also any tips on good restaurants reasonably priced near the Champs Elysees? <BR> <BR>Is the dress code for dinner similar to New York where jackets are not required at many restaurants? <BR> <BR>Any help would be appreciated! <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance.

Dayle Dec 15th, 1998 07:19 PM

On my first trip to Paris in Oct, I purchased a 5 day museum pass and it definitely saved money and time in lines. I tried to get one at the tourist info desk at CDG, but the line was too long and slow. Got it at the O'Orsay gift shop instead, no wait at all. It's good for Versailles, Les Invalides, and other sites besides museums so, yes get one.

Bill Dec 15th, 1998 10:01 PM

I second that opinion. I used a three day pass on my last Paris trip and it was great being able to go in and out of museums without having to stand in line.

Vincent Dec 15th, 1998 11:45 PM

There is no such thing as a "dress code" in France, it's just a matter of common sense. You will never be forced to wear those awful ties they "lend" you at some American restaurants. Come as you are, "elegant" doesn't always mean "jacket and tie" (and vice-versa ! )

kris Dec 16th, 1998 05:23 AM

We got a 3 day pass between Christmas and New Years and it was well worth the money. I was surprised at the number of tourists at each of the places we went. The museum pass cuts through all of the lines and you can use it at most of the museums in Paris, Versailles, Notre Dame, St Chapelle etc. We actually saw more because we might not have paid separate admission for each place if we only wanted to stay for a little while. You can also buy the pass without waiting at the tourist office on the Champs D'Elysses (sp?)

John Rizzuto Dec 16th, 1998 09:04 AM

Any time the schools are closed for vacation there will be crowds at the musuems. It does pay to get the 3-day musuem pass. <BR> <BR>For good restaurants ..... most are not <BR>near the Champs Elysees, but you really shouldn't limit yourself .... <BR> <BR>Contact me by email if you would like or need more detailed instructions to find any of the restaurants. <BR> <BR>La Petite Chaise, Rue de Grenelle, 36-38, tel. 42.22.13.35 <BR> <BR>Le Bistro Saint Ferdinand, Blvd. Pereire, 275. tel. 45.74.33.32 <BR> <BR>Le Bistro due 17e, Ave de Villiers, 108. Tel. 47.63.32.77 <BR> <BR>Le Petite Villiers, Ave de Villiers, 75. Tel. 48.88.96.59 <BR> <BR>Bonne Fourchette, Rue St Honore, 320. Tel. 42.60.45.27 <BR> <BR>Le Souffle, Rue Mont Thabor, 36. Tel. 42.60.27.19 <BR> <BR>Chez Tante Louise, Rue Boissy-D'Anglas, 41. Tel. 42.65.06.85 <BR> <BR>L'Amanguier ... several locations <BR>Ave des Ternes, 43. tel 43.80.19.28 <BR>Blvd Montparnasse, 46. tel 43.20.71.01 <BR>Blvd Montmarte, 20. tel 47.70.91.35 <BR> <BR>La Bouteile D'Or Quai Montebello, tel. ? (along the Seine, across from Notre Dame) <BR> <BR>La Petite Leo, Rue Robert Leopold, 7. tel 43.20.76.55 <BR> <BR>Il Barone Rue Robert Leopold (next door to La Peteite Leo) if you get the urge for italian. <BR> <BR>La Coupole Blvd Montparnasse, 102. tel. 43.20.14.20 <BR> <BR>Le Bar Huitres Blvd Montparnasse, 112. tel. 43.20.71.01 <BR> <BR>Ambassade d'Auvergne Rue Grenier St Lazare, 22. tel 42.72.31.22 <BR> <BR>La Truffiere Rue Blainville, 4. tel. 46.33.29.82 <BR> <BR>Moissonnier Rue Fosses-St Bernard, 28. tel 43.29.87.65 <BR> <BR>Also, on Blvd Montmarte which is an extension of Blvd Haussmann behind the old opera and Cafe de la Paix. Galeries Lafayette is at 40, Blvd Haussmann. Printemps is at 64, Blvd Haussmann. Continuing up Haussmann you will run into Blvd Montmarte. On the left side you will see a McDonalds on the corner. L'Amanguier, Hollywood Canteen, Hardrock Cafe and TGI Friday's are a little further up. There are two passageways ... one on the left and one on the right side of the street that contain many little shops of interest. <BR> <BR>The Hollywood Canteen is modelled after an American diner of the 50's. It's not a great looking place, but if you miss your American style breakfast ... this is the place to go. For 50FF you get all you can eat of fresh squeezed OJ, American coffee, cold cerals, eggs anyway you like them, sausage, bacon, and pancakes. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Diane Dec 17th, 1998 11:18 AM

The carte d'musee will pay for itself the first time you visit the Louvre. You will see hundreds of people in a very very long line waiting for a single admission. You will walk right in through the special entrance for pass holders. Besides, it is a really cool souvenir when you get back home! You can buy them at any of the museums - we bought ours at the Picasso Museum. Don't miss L'Orangerie near the Louvre. That's where Monet's tremendous <BR>watter lilies are.

elvira Dec 17th, 1998 01:45 PM

If you're going to visit more than 4 museums, GET THE PASS!!! Even if it means spending a bit more than individual tickets....YOU DON'T HAVE TO STAND IN THOSE INTERMINABLE $#@!*&^% LINES! The pass is available at any of the museums it covers...I suggest getting it at the d'Orsay (you buy it at the museum shop next door to the museum so no line) or at one of the little museums (like Balzac's house). There's no such thing as inexpensive restaurants near the Champs, but there are some more reasonable than others (there's a chinese restaurant with aquariums in the floor but I can't remember the name...aux dragons or something like that...not cheap but what an experience!). Look for ethnic like Chinese or Vietnamese....as for dinner dress, no jackets unless you're at Tallevent or Jules Verne or some other upscale place (even then, check the policy). For a very nice restaurant with a great view, Cote de Seine on the Left Bank west of the Boul' Mich on the quai...about two blocks' walk. Great food and very reasonable prices. Don't think you'll do Paris cheap; you won't. You CAN do it for reasonable costs (use the metro (buy a pass or a carnet), not taxis; buy sandwiches from street vendors for lunch, or, if you want to eat at a ritzy restaurant, get lunch there as it's lots cheaper than dinner). Don't give up safety to save money, but give up luxury (like matching furniture in your hotel) so you can spend more on sightseeing.

Donna Dec 17th, 1998 09:08 PM

The pass is called Carte Musees et Monuments and can be purchased for one, three or five (consecutive days). On our eight day visit, we purchased a three day pass. You can visit a lot of museums and monuments in three days. Even if the lines aren't long, not having to stand in the ticket line or be concerned with the price of admission is a terrific advantage of the pass. We went visited many places we may not have if we hadn't had the pass. None were disappointing, but it was nice to know we could breeze through or only visit certain exhibits without feeling like we had to get our money's worth. The passes are also available at the front desk at most hotels and can also be purchased in most metro stations. Most museums are closed on either Monday or Tuesday and there are holiday schedules, so keep this in mind when planning your itinerary. There are lots of cafes along the Champs Elysees (more reasonably priced, for Paris, than you would expect) that are not the "tourist rip-offs" the tour guides would have you believe. The menus are posted so you can determine if a place is appealing to you or not. If you wander down any side street, there are even more (and less expensive) choices.