Museums in Europe free to US teachers?

Feb 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster
Museums in Europe free to US teachers?

I have read confusing websites on this. We will be visiting Paris, Amsterdam, Bruges, and Brussels and were wondering about this policy. I've read in guidebooks that places like The Louvre are free to teachers but their websites don't specify this exactly. Are there any US teachers here that know from experience if/which museums in Europe participate and what ID is needed?

Feb 12th, 2006, 01:33 PM
If they are, I sure would like to know that! I don't think so, though. I have seen where some Paris museums are free to French teachers of art or art history, but I don't think US teachers get that same privilege.
Feb 12th, 2006, 02:23 PM
At least for the Louvre, the website is pretty clear:

Free Admission to the Louvre

Admission to the Louvre and the Musée Eugène Delacroix is free for the following (valid ID required):

Visitors under the age of 18

Unemployed individuals and visitors receiving benefits (proof of entitlement required, dated within the last six months)

Disabled visitors and their guests or helpers

Teachers of art, art history, and the applied arts (valid proof required)

Artists affiliated to the Maison des Artistes (in France) or the AIAP (Association Internationale des Arts Plastiques)

A list of acceptable proofs of entitlement is available at the museum from the Information Desk (under the Pyramid).
Tel.: +33 (0)1 40 20 53 17

Free admission for all visitors on the first Sunday of each month and on July 14.

Search this Thread