Museums for 12 year old girl and pastry day class

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our trip to Paris we would like to do a few museums with 12 year old girl.
Any recommendations ?
Also she loves to bake and it would be nice for her to go to half day class for kids.English if possible
Has anyone done this or know where we can go.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 12:41 PM

What is your daughter interested in? At that age, I would have the the D'Orsay with all the impressionist paintings, and I would have wanted to visit the Louvre for a couple of hours, for the Egyptian and Assyrian Arts.

I do know that there are cooking/baking classes for youngsters, but don't know the details. I'm sure someone here will have a recommendation.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 02:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would pre plan your visits to d'Orsay and Louvre, choosing specific galleries. Also, consider two small museums, L'Orangerie with Monet's large water lily paintings and Musee Rodin where the staues are outdoors in a park setting.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 02:57 PM

Check out Cook'n with Class and La Cuisine Paris - both hold cooking classes in English, including baking classes (baguettes, macarons, etc.). I'm not sure they have specific classes for children, but a 12 year old who has some experience cooking/baking would probably be able to take any of their classes -- you can always ask.

Does she like dolls? There is a doll museum Musee de la Poupee. It is adjacent to the Anne Frank Garden (Jardin Anne Frank), not far from the Pompidou Center and the Rambuteau Metro station. It's just off Rue Beaubourg - on a little alley - if you locate it on a map, you should be able to find it. I know there are also some signs in the surrounding area.
Bon voyage.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 03:14 PM

I just got back from Paris and was there with a friend and her 11 year old daughter. They took a kids baking class at Cooknwithclass. They have the class on Mondays and not necessarily every week. It was 2 hrs long. The kids did the baking and the parents watched, took pictures, and they all ate the finished sweets. They enjoyed it.

We went to the Conciergerie (not a museum in the sense of a museum) but the 11yr old loved it. She also wanted to go to the Cluny museum to see the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries but unfortunately we ran out of time.

We had a French Revolution theme for the trip so also went on the blue Bike Versailles bike tour. Lots of fun!
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 03:18 PM

We looked into La Cuisine Paris and they didn't have a kids cooking class when we were there. The 11 yr old was too young to participate in the other cooking classes but maybe a 12 yr old can.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 04:45 PM

Our tween/teen daughters loved the Cluny museum (middle ages featuring the famous unicorn tapestries) that they went back for a second visit on our first trip to Paris. The ballet was also a huge hit with them.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 07:05 PM

My 11 yr old daughter has been to all the major museums,in Paris.

Her favorites ( not in order) were:

Shoah Memorial museum. Very moving.

Louvre- be sure to visit Napoleons Apartments and see the jewels etc.

Orsay- she did not care for impressionists at all but loved the decoratif arts section. The " Dr Seuss furniture " etc.

Invalids Army Museum- this one seems odd, but its a lovely well laid out museum, never crowded like many others.

There were a few she considered only OK. Rodins, Conceirge, Cluny and Carnavalet.

She has never disliked a museum however, but we take our time, we find interesting sections ( remember you don't have to see all of anything) and stop for lunches etc at the night ones.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions on which museums to take her to and that baking class website is perfect.Just what I was looking for.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 07:58 PM

They have kids classes...
http://www.laboculinaire.com/
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 01:25 PM

My mother and I took my then-12yo daughter and 11yo niece to Paris last June. They both liked the Cluny, one was fascinated (and spent hours at) the d'Orsay, the other did the same thing at the Pompidou. Neither liked the Louvre, though they appreciated seeing the famous things it was really too crowded and neither liked the other galleries they visited.

The other activities they really enjoyed were a trip to the children's playground at Jardin du Luxembourg (~1Euro per person - we sat outside the small fence and enjoyed watching them play with all the children - no language barrier, there!), a Seine river cruise, a fashion show at Printemps department store, and the Grande Galerie de l'Évolution, a huge display of specimens from many species, large and small.

Have a fun trip!
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 05:02 PM

Not a museum, but take a look at tea at Un Dimanche a Paris---the pastries are works of art!
Old Apr 18th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

I have one excited granddaughter thanks to some of your suggestions.She is especially excited about the baking class I booked at cookinwithclass.Still 7 more weeks to go so keep those suggestions coming please.Also any day trips by train suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks everyone