Museum Tours - Florence

Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Museum Tours - Florence

Are museum tours (with guide) worth the expense? Do Italian museums have audio tape docents? What have been your experiences? Do you recommended to seeing the Uffizi and the Acadameia (with lecture on Michaelangelo) with a tour guide? Which museum do you think it is "a-must" with a tour guide and which can we enjoy without one? Thank you for your help.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:55 AM

There are pretty good audio tours available at the Uffizi and the Acadameia .There's also an interesting website:
http://www.italyguides.it/us/florenc...ence_italy.htm

It offers free IPod downloads . I'm not sure how good they are.
Obviously, having a guide always makes it better. It's really up to your pocketbook.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:27 AM
LJ

As your "handle" implies you are an independent trveler and as you have posed the question, then I am going to suggest you don't really want or need a tour guide and really came here to be talked out of it.

Personally, I can't bear being on the schedule of a guide and being shown what he or she wants to show me rather than finding my own delights. The audio are OK, but still command you to their agenda.

I think books are the way to go.The Eyewitness guidebooks are a good start, then you can purchase really good and more specific books on site. If you MUST, use a guide for the Uffizi and buy a good reference for the rest.

Then you use the money you saved on the tour and sit smugly outside at a cafe, re-living the gallery experience through your book.

Search this Thread