Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   museum reservations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/museum-reservations-473347/)

dswinnick Sep 10th, 2004 07:00 AM

museum reservations

We are going to be in Florence and Venice at the end of Sept/early Oct. Do we need to make museum reservations at this time of year?

Debbie

Eloise Sep 10th, 2004 07:35 AM

I would strongly suggest it. We had reservations for the Uffizi around 30 September and went right in. The line-up of people waiting was long; I couldn't say how long the average wait was, but it certainly seemed worthwhile to me to be able to eliminate it entirely.

Statia Sep 10th, 2004 07:36 AM

It's a good idea to have reservations to the big museums in Venice and Florence at any time of year. If there is no line when you arrive, you don't need to use the reservation, hence you are not charged the extra price for it. It's a win/win situation.

in_wyoming Sep 10th, 2004 07:49 AM

We also used the Ufizi reservation system, which worked wonderfully. We were able to walk past a line a block long and enter right in. Loved the museum.

ira Sep 10th, 2004 11:49 AM

Hi ds,

Make the reservations. They are free. If you don't use them, you won't be charged.

Secret Itineraries tour of Doge?s palace 011 39 041 520 9070.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

dswinnick Sep 10th, 2004 12:03 PM

Thanks - I'll make the reservations.
Debbie

PLMN Sep 11th, 2004 03:08 AM

ira, you pretty much answered the question I was going to post.

However, I did want to know how CLOSE to desired viewing time might one be able to make reservation?

For example, I'm still not sure which days, forget which times, we want to visit these places. I also can't get my folks to state which places they really want to go to. Sooo, I had thought/hoped/wished that as close to a day a head to make reservations??? You know, arrive Rome, look over material with folks, pick out places want to visit, call for next day reservations? Chances are pretty slim hunh?

(Not to mention the sights to visit part of the trip WAS going to be my spontaneous part. After all I didn't want to plan EVERYTHING. ;) )

ira Sep 11th, 2004 03:23 AM

Hi PLMN,

I think that reservations are made every quarter hour (1:00, 1:15, 1:30 etc).

It is highly unlikely that you could make a reservation the day before.

I suggest that you make reservations, tell your family that that was the only time available, and plan the rest of the days around that.

PLMN Sep 11th, 2004 03:39 AM

Okay ira.

One more thing. After you pick the date and time, they aske for a credit card number? Is it better to use my CHARGE card or my Visa Ck card?

Is the debit/charge made right away and if you don't show up they credit your account or they don't process payment until you show up?

ira Sep 11th, 2004 03:44 AM

Hi PLMN,

There is no charge until you get your reserved tickets.

If there is no line when you get to the Uffizi or Accademia just go in.

For the Secret tour you have to get a reserved ticket.