Christmas in Rome

Search

Christmas in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in Rome

We will be spending Dec 18-Dec 27 in Italy as our daughter finishes a study abroad in Perugia. I have been AMAZED at all the wonderful information I have found on this site- it can definitely be addictive !!!! Unfortunately we only have a small amount of time, and will be trying to see many things during a time when much will be closed for the holidays. (and I am learning that much is also closed on Mondays !!!) So- I am trying to coordinate travel around closings. I have been reading a lot of information about the trains-types, discounts, etc,(thank you SOOOO much!!!!) but I can't seem to find (in English) a site where I can see a map of the various train routes as well as timetables and fares, especially holiday closures. Is there such an animal? We know museums,etc won't be open on Christmas, but does anyone know about Christmas eve? We get into Rome from Orvieto that morning and we were hoping to see the Vatican that afternoon. (since it is closed definitely the 25th and 26th) Then, on Christmas Day we were thinking of taking the train on a day trip somewhere out of Rome- possibly Naples. Our thinking is that it would be a good day to see some scenery. Do the trains run on Christmas? Is this a pretty trip? Might anything be open in Naples? If that's a bust, we can wander around Rome and see the fountains and exterior sights. Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated !!!
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you wanting train maps for Italy or transportation maps for Rome? Timetables and fares can be found on Trenitlia, but you must enter a date within the next 7 days for all prices and schedules to show. Schedules/prices will change (but not by much) around Dec. 15 for the winter.
http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/cms...0080a3e90aRCRD

I don't think you will find much open on Christmas day and the scenery between Rome and Naples isn't particularly interesting.

The Vatican Museums seem to be open Christmas Eve, but not sure if they will keep their regular hours. Last entrance normally is at 4 with the museum closing at 6.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...nfo_Orari.html
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much for the train info- I was entering the actual date and only came up with one trip per day. This info was perfect for helping me ensure that our itinerary is feasible. I see that the fares for the regionale trains aren't on the list- is there another place I can find these?

Also the Vatican info and website are very helpful- I learned that 2 of my 3 kids are eligible for discount rates with their college student IDs, and that the hours will work with our itinerary.
And....there certainly is no point in taking a so-so trainride on Christmas Day!! We will be renting an apartment in Rome (thanks to those of you who offered the apartment rental info)so I think we will take in the local sights, and let our daughter visit the market and cook Italian for us (one of her classes was history and culture of foods in Italy !)if we don't find restaurants open. If anyone else has Christmas Day ideas I would really appreciate it.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 12:19 AM

I would definitely stick to Rome for Christmas Day. Much will be closed but you can enjoy a nice "passeggiata" around the piazzas and fountains. Be sure to have reservations ahead of time for any dining out on either Christmas Eve, Day or Santa Stefano (the 26th which is big "eat out" day. Have fun!
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 04:42 AM

I would go without a doubt to Trattoria Monti , during your stay, Its just very good Roman cooking, it is located near Termini railway station. For christmas day, most hotels do a buffet or set lunch, try Hassler on the top of the Spanish steps for a great view (you will have to book in advance).
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 04:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you aren't seeing prices for R trains, then you aren't entering a date within the next 7 days.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM

We will be spending Christmas in Rome as well with our son and daughter (both early 20s). Perhaps we can share information on what to do Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I'm actually worried about what we should do that day.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM

I spent Christmas in Rome in 2006. Regardless of your faith, it is definitely worth experiencing some of the religious celebrations going on in the city. We attended the midnight mass in the Pantheon on Christmas eve (amazing, but dress for the weather - it was FREEZING in there!) and the Pope's public blessing in St. Peter's Square on Christmas day. It was a fascinating experience. We took the advice of other on this forum and arrived early, got a spot at the very front and had an excellent view of the entire event.

If you want to go out, be sure to make advance reservations for dinner on Christmas eve and Christmas day. If you wait until you get there they will all be booked (although having your daughter cook for you doesn't sound like a bad thing!). We asked our hotel for assistance in finding restaurants in the neighborhood that would be open.

Christmas is a fabulous time to be in Rome. Enjoy!
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM

I also spent Christmas 2006 in Rome. We are Catholics and went to midnight mass in St Peters, for which you need to book tickets in advance (but you do not need to pay. We were advised to arrive at St peter's square before 8 pm on Christmas Eve to queue to get in to the church. The square was already packed when we arrived. So be prepared for the Vatican area to be busy if you visit the museums on the afternoon of Christmas Eve.

On Christmas Day we slept in then went to the Papal blessing at noon and then visited the Borghese Gardens. When we left the gardens it was late afternoon and we walked down Via Condotti with thousands of Romans on their passegiata. The place was buzzing.

I had been worried about booking a place for dinner but did not want to be caught having to eat somewhere expensive so we decided to take our chances. we were prepared to eat McDonalds if the worst came to the worst but it didn't. There were quite a few restaurants open for business on Christmas night and we found one that we were very happy with near the Pantheon (without booking ahead).

Whatever you do you will have a marvellous time in Rome.
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

OK- very long-winded-sorry !!
Thanks everyone for all the terrific info. BTW our group consists of Me and my husband -in our early 50's, our 2 sons, 28 an 25, and our daughter 20) John is definitely NOT a history buff, and had knee surgery this year, so TOO much walking won't be enjoyable for him. (going to see if Alyssa can find an Italian heating pad before we get there) The kids and I are AVID history buffs. All LOVE fine dining-oooh are we in trouble!!!! So my task is finding a balance- exploring the magnificent features, but in a way that John will be physically comfortable and not overwhelmed. With your help we are solidifying our plans.
We found that we can take a 2:30 tour of the Vatican with Dark Rome Tours on Christmas Eve. Has anyone used this company? I think they contract with the vatican? They have high marks on Tripadvisor, but I really value the insight that Fodorites seem to have mastered.)Still undecided on this, as I see several fodorites suggest that guides aren't really necessary. I'm in the process of downloading the MP3 files recommended, and figure I will listen to them now and see if this might be a good fit for us.
If we take the 3 hour tour (sounds like Gilligan's Island we will be getting out around 6ish. Will the area be really crowded this early for midnight mass? Does anyone know if public transportation be available around this time? We will probably go take a rest an then go out to see churches,etc later.

Thinking about it, Christmas Day will be a fabulous time for a passeggiata around the city at our own pace- and if we find things open- all the better. (but I have been promised home-made tiramisu !!!)
So much to learn.... one piece at a time
Oh- yes we have heard from Alyssa that it is already very cold in Perugia (and her standards are tough- we are from Colorado!)