Search

Musee d'homme

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Musee d'homme

Can anyone tell me about the Musee d'homme. The only web page I've found is in French.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Site HomeMusee d'Homme
www.jack-travel.com/Paris/ParisHtml/ Paris_Visit_16th_Arr_Sewer_ModernArt_Homme_Marine. htm

this site has some English description of the Museum of Man and pictures.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I've been told there is an awesome view of the Eiffel Tower from the Cafe there.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:56 AM

ttt
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:08 AM

Here's something in English:
http://tinyurl.com/fzyt3
http://www.paris.org/Musees/Homme/

It's part of the Museum of Natural History, but unfortunately the museum's site is only in French:
http://www.mnhn.fr/museum/foffice/tr...se/accueil.xsp
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
With permission to paste this:

PARIS, March 27, 2006 (AFP) - A stone's throw from the Eiffel Tower on the banks of the Seine, the final touches are being put to Europe's newest museum, a huge project celebrating and bringing to life non-Western art and heritage.

Named the Musée du Quai Branly after its location, the museum will house some 300,000 works of tribal art most brought to France from Africa, Asia, the Americas and Oceania over past centuries of exploration.

"We are the guardians of a priceless treasure of 300,000 objects which tell the history of those who made them, and those who brought them here. It is important that we have the means to preserve them," said the museum's president Stephane

Martin.

"Moreover these collections have been little studied. One of our ambitions is to revive such research, to make the objects talk."

The 220-square metre building designed by the French architect Jean Nouvel is due to be inaugurated on June 20 by President Jacques Chirac, who launched the project in 1995 to give the tribal arts "their rightful place in France's museums."

The EUR 235.2 million project, which has overrun its budget by about seven percent, has drawn from collections previously held in Paris' Musée d'Homme and the Museum of African and Oceanic Arts.

Neither an art museum, nor a museum of ethnology nor a research centre, the Quai Branly aims to be all three and is working in tight collaboration with other similar institutes around the world.

"In Europe there are some great ethnological museums, but they don't have a lot of resources and present a kind of 'round the world in 80 showcases'," said Martin.

"The United States, New Zealand and Australia have some very dynamic museums, some are very entertaining, some very educational but often quite simplistic. Others are very militant museums.

"Our goal is different, to talk, to work together, while retaining our scientific outlook."

Some 3,500 pieces will be on permanent display, while the other pieces will be shown in a dozen temporary exhibitions each year. Over the past three years every object to be housed in Quai Branly has been examined, catalogued, bar-coded and cleaned of any parasites.

"It's been a kind of shuttle operation. Every day 400 to 500 objects have passed through our hands, been weighed, measured, restored if needed, photographed, digitalised in 2D or 3D and rewrapped," said Germain Viatte, the head of the huge operation.

Almost all the collection will be made available on the Internet, along with some 700,000 photographs as well as paintings, drawings, diaries and films made by ethnologists and explorers.

Nouvel, the architect behind the French capital's Institute du Monde Arabe, has designed the building in warm, earthy tones partly covered in wood to look like a long footbridge in the middle of a garden.

"It's a museum built around a collection where everything has been done to give rise to the emotions provoked by tribal art," said Nouvel.

One of the facades is decorated by paintings by contemporary Aborgine artists, another is a living wall of vegetation designed by the botanist Patrick Blanc.

Inside visitors are plunged into a twilight world to view the fragile works some of which date back to the 16th century and need protection from the light.

A 24-metre high tower has been constructed inside part of the building which emits musical murmurings to show off the collection of some 9,000 musical instruments from around the world.

It is hoped the museum will attract a million visitors a year with millions more logging on via the Internet "including the countries where these objects came from, which will have access to the collections they lost," said Viatte.

"It will be a collective memory restored to all."

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:08 AM

It seems to me the "musee de l'homme" is closed, its collection being transfered to the "musee du quai Branly" refered to by Cigalechanta in the previous post. But I'm not sure.

I looked around, and it seems to be still open, since I found a reference to a current exhibition about "birth". I don't know if it has been reorganized, if parts of its collection have been shiped to the Quai Branly museum, or what. But I've never been impressed by this relatively dusty museum in the past, though I didn't visit it in a long while.

It's not part of the "museum d'histoire naturelle" which is situated in the Pantheon/Arenes de Lutece area, while the "musee de l'homme" is close to the Eiffel tower.

It is (or used to be?) an anthropology museum, in case it wouldn't be clear. So, you'd have prehistoric skeletons, some native american items, etc...
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:45 AM

Not sure if the museum is still open (my visit took place about 15 years ago) but the cafe/restaurant is open and it's a very "in" place.
http://www.lecafedelhomme.com/ There is also a theater in the museum.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, the Musée de l'Homme is being emptied for the June opening of the Musée du Quai Branly (www.quaibranly.com)
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Having had drinks there on Monday, May 15th, I can assure you that the view of the Eiffel Tower from the outdoor terrace is outstanding. It doesn't get any better that that afternoon in Paris....