Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Murren, Switzerland first week in May? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/murren-switzerland-first-week-in-may-289480/)

offseason Jan 21st, 2008 02:44 PM

Murren, Switzerland first week in May?

Has anyone been to Murren the first part of May? Is anything open? Looking at hotels I found only 1 (Hotel Alpenruh) open that time of year. Even if I find a hotel will anything else be open, trains, gondola's, restaurants, shops? We will have a car and are not making any reservations. We were planning on 2 nights in Murren. We are coming from Zermatt, and leisurely traveling towards Fussen, Germany. If we don’t stay in Murren where would you suggest staying to be able to see the BO.

TIA,
Paul

bettyk Jan 21st, 2008 02:49 PM

We were in Murren in mid may 2006. We stayed at the Hotel Oberland in Lauterbrunnen and had gone up to Schilthorn. Stopped in Murren on the way down. There wasn't much open except for a couple of restaurants and one souvenir shop. Couldn't tell you how many hotels were actually open.

Trains and other transportation will be open. In Lauterbrunnen, everything was open but it's at a lower elevation. I would suggest Lauterbrunnen as a good alternative. The transportation options are good and it's still very beautiful.

Linds Jan 21st, 2008 03:00 PM

Hi offseason!

Don't know about May (sorry...), but oh my goodness, you've chosen an incredible spot! Went there in July 2003, stayed in the hostel in Gimmelwald. It was absolutely the most perfect place on earth. I still get teary-eyed just thinking about it.

I imagine anyplace you stay -- Murren, Lauterbrunnen, even Gimmelwald -- will be wonderful.

What were you planning to do while there? There's amazing hiking all around, if you're into that. There's also a train that takes you up near the summit of the Jungfrau that's supposed to be neat (not sure if that's seasonal or not).

I took the cable car up to the top of the Schilthorn when I was there. The restaurant's pretty touristy, but I used it as a jumping off point for a hike down the mountain. Not sure how the hiking is in May at that altitude. Still snowy, perhaps? Anyway, just be warned that even though it's a downhill hike, it's VERY strenuous. Views (and photos) were incredible, and I wouldn't trade the experience for the world, but I couldn't walk for a week afterwards, and by the time I got down to Gimmelwald, I was literally walking backwards, as my legs wouldn't carry me walking forwards! Also, if you have any problems with heights (I do!), the first bit of the hike down from the summit can be a bit hairy (sheer drop on both sides of a very narrow ridge -- argh!). I'm very glad I did it, though.

Anyway, have a wonderful time. That area is a great place to just wander around, sit on a hillside and immerse yourself in the quiet. So lovely!!!

swandav2000 Jan 22nd, 2008 02:52 AM

Hi offseason,

Sorry, I'm another one who hasn't been to Mürren in May. But I can tell you that, yes, the trains will be running.

I'm a little puzzled about why you are driving since you are staying in two car-free villages. Both Mürren and Zermatt do not allow cars, so your rental will only sit in a parking lot, accumulating both rental fees and parking fees.

Are you coming from a Swiss airport? If so, both Geneva and Zürich airports have a train station co-located. It's very, very easy (and FUN) to use the excellent Swiss train system. You can use this site

www.rail.ch

to get schedules and fares.

You could then pick up a rental car in either Landau or Bregenz and continue on your trip.

Just a thought.

s

Linds Jan 23rd, 2008 10:57 AM

Oh! I second the train suggestion. The ride from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen is stunning!

halfapair Jan 23rd, 2008 11:09 AM

We also stayed in Lauterbrunnen at the Hotel Staubbach.
http://www.staubbach.ch/index2.htm

We went up to Murren where it was snowing (not too hard). It was really quiet with just a few shops open.

From Lauterbrunnen we were able to visit the Jungfrau, Montreaux, Bern, Trummelbach Falls & Interlochen. We had a great 5 day stay there in early May 2005.