Notices

Murren - best place to stay?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Nina

Murren - best place to stay?

Hi! Can you help me with deciding where to stay in Murren? Any particular hotel which you found special? The official murren website seems to be forever down, so I'll have to book based on recommendations! Thanks.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 04:41 AM
s

Hello Nina!

Congratulations on your choice! I know you’ll have a great time in Muerren. I know you’ll get lots of help on this question!

Although I haven’t stayed in Muerren myself, I thought I’d pass on a few resources for you. You say that the official Muerren website is down, but the one at www.wengen-muerren.ch is working great (at least it is right now!). It takes a long time to load, but after it does, there is a tag “accommodation” in the box at the top left corner of the page. The next page has a tag “accommodation” on the left side. There is a list w/photos of the Muerren hotels.

Don’t forget all of the resources here at Fodors too! The Hotels page has two of the Muerren hotels, and one of them has been rated by a reader. Also try doing a text search here, using all combinations of “Murren” Muerren” “Muerren hotels” etc. You’ll get a lot of hits.

And finally, go to the Swiss pages of www.twenj.net. The late and dearly missed Ed loved visiting Muerren, and you’ll find reviews of several hotels there.

So, anyway, I think you’ll get more responses, but these sites may supply more fun as you continue your research. Have fun!

s

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:27 AM
ajs

IMO, a very important thig to remember:

The farther you stay towards the far end of town away from the train staion, there is a massive stone edifice directly across the valley that obscures the views of the Jungfrau range. I suggest the Alpenblick or the Alpina. Not the most upscale in town, but if you get a room on the balcony side, you'll be very happy. At any rate, try to be close to the north end of town.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Beth

My husband and I loved the Hotel Eiger, which is right across from the train station. Wonderful views, lovely service, and nice rooms made this a special choice. But -- it is not a budget choice. I think rooms were around $160 when we stayed there a couple of years ago.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:53 AM
xxx

We stayed at the Alpenblick and loved it. It was a bit rustic, but very reasonable and very enjoyable, and those views!!!!!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Ronda

Are you the same Nina with the 2 year old? If so, you may want to consider safety. What are the balconies like at the Alpina, Alpenblick, etc?

We stayed at the Hotel Bellvue Crystal. Every room had a veiw and, I believe, a balcony. If I remember right, the balconies were constructed in a way that I would consider them safe for a 2 year old. The rooms were fine, very clean, charming, large bathrooms, and the views wonderful. Ruth, one of the owners, was friendly and helpful.

It does sit up and back from the edge but I don't think I could stand staying in a hotel right on the edge.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Gilberto

Hi Nina!

Just came back from the Jungrau region two months ago. Murren and Wengen are the best places to stay in the region, if you like countryside, peaceful and gorgeous views of the mountains. I will return, any time, as soon as I have the opportunity. We stayed at a small, charming hotel called Alpina (moderate price), where the staff war super friendly and the food grrrreat. I have no doubt that you will enjoy the place as much as I do, believe me. Recommendation: try to stay several days, at least 4. You will have a lot to do in the area.

Have a nice trip.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 03:08 PM
BillJ

We stayed at the Alpenruh, the other end of town from the train station, but right next to the cable car up to Schilthorn. The hotel was very nice, the rooms on the small side, but very efficient. The view from our room was restricted somewhat due to nearby treetops, but otherwise it was great. From their terrace restaurant, you can see the Eiger and the Jungfrau. Their website will give you current prices. We were quite pleased with the hotel.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Adam

We stayed at the Eiger Guesthouse which is right next to the Hotel Eiger on the north end of town. Not luxurious but we had our own shower/bathroom. We also had a balcony with an incredible view of the Eiger, Jungfrau, Monch. All for relatively cheap.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:42 PM
nina

Thanks everyone for the great tips. And ronda, yes, I do have a two year old,so your thoughts on the balcony front are much appreciated. Thanks once again!

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Diane

I second the recommendation for the Bellevue Crystal. We stayed there last month for 3 nights. We had a wonderful mountain view with a balcony that would be safe for a small child. The room was spacious and clean. Another extra for a child- the commode seat was covered with teddy bears.