Murren & Wengen Hotels

Jan 29th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Gilberto

Murren & Wengen Hotels

After reading a lot of opinions regarding where is the best place to stay (Murren or Wengen), my heart is still divided, so I decided what I think is a "salomonic" decision. Spend three days at Murren and three days at Wengen. All I need now is hotels recommendations (great views with balcony and moderate prices). Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Jan 29th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Geri

Gilberto,
You are making a good choice, since both villages are wonderful. The views from Murren will knock your socks off! Yet, Wengen has terrific views and is in a great location for further exploring. Be sure to wander around the alpine meadows of Gimmelwald (near Murren). A really nice 3 star hotel in Wengen is Hotel Schoenegg. www.hotel-schoenegg.ch It is a terrific hotel, but not a 4 star because no elevators.

Jan 29th, 2002, 10:18 AM
gina

I highly recommend the Hotel Alpenrose. I also highly recommend the hike from the Mannlichen Tram down in front of the Eiger to Kleine Scheidegg. Then take the train from there back to Wengen. I am so jealous!

Jan 29th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Ingo

Hi Gilberto,

Sorry, but I do not think this „salomonic“ decision is a good decision. Do you really want to move with all your luggage after 3 days in Muerren to Wengen for another 3 days? IMO this is not reasonable.

Anyway, it is your decision. I second Geri, Hotel Schoenegg in Wengen is very nice. I can also recommend Hotel Bellevue (www.bellevue-wengen.ch) and Hotel Belvedere (www.belvedere-wengen.ch). If it is in your budget (not moderate) Hotel Regina is the perfect choice.

For Muerren:
Hotel Alpenruh www.muerren.ch/alpenruh
Hotel Jungfrau www.hoteljungfrau.ch
Hotel Alpina www.muerren.ch/alpina

Ingo

Jan 30th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Judi

I love the Hotel Alpenrose also, Gina. It is a small hike away from the main part of town but the views are wonderful and the owners/hosts are so kind and gracious.
Gilberto, assuming you don't have tons of luggage, I think it is a good idea to split your time between both towns. Happy travels!

Jan 30th, 2002, 06:15 AM
amy

In Murren, we stayed at the Hotel Alpenruh, a nice 3-star with good views. It's at the end of the village, so you have to take a cart for your luggage from the cog-railway station through the village (sounds hard but is quite easy and enjoyable). The Alpenruh has easy access to the Schilthorn, allowing you to roll out of bed and get on board before the crowds.

For an alternative, Hotel Eiger is a four-star right by the railway, and friends of ours liked it.

Jan 30th, 2002, 07:25 AM
A.M.

There are actually 2 ways up to Murren, the cog train near the Eiger Hotel and the Anfi Palace Hotel (where I stayed) and the gondola near the Alpenruf Hotel (wonderful food). All the hotels in Murren are fairly small and all are in the center of spectacular views. Hopefully you are carrying a pack rather than a suitcase, easier to lug around, imho.
A.M.