Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich Trip Report: Gettting There (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-trip-report-gettting-there-569529/)

bronxzilla Nov 8th, 2005 02:58 AM

Munich Trip Report: Gettting There

THE FLIGHT TO MUNICH
It was an all business-class Lufthansa 737 - which took away the <i>frisson</i> of pleasure that comes from knowing that while I was sipping riesling from a crystal goblet someone in the back of the plane was in a middle seat eating microwaved schnitzel off of styrofoam plate.

Since my typical mode of air travel involves flying in small American Eagle Saab jets with my family this was quite a treat, especially since my seat was about half the size of my Manhattan apartment. And I reflected on the fact that the bulk of my time spent in planes is spent keeping my son from hitting the call button over and over (and over) again. I felt a slight twinge of nostalgia for my family, which quickly passed.

As an experiment, I put Living Language in-flight German on my ipod (Full Disclosure: Living Language is a RH imprint). After an hour of &quot;study&quot; I screwed up the courage to ask the flight attendant for &quot;coffee with milk and sugar&quot; which in German is like a 70 word sentence. Got a blank stare from the stewardess. Turns out she was Polish.....

NEXT: Dallmayr's, subtitled Hausfraus who lunch

Voyager2006 Nov 8th, 2005 03:15 AM

What's the word for &quot;Kielbasa&quot; in German?

THIS is too funny!!!!

walkinaround Nov 8th, 2005 03:19 AM

a Lufthansa stewardess (regardless of the nationality) that doesn't speak german??? i never experienced that.

aggiemom Nov 8th, 2005 03:49 AM

So far, so funny!

Reminds me - a couple of weeks ago in France. My dear DH (who had been trying to learn some words) asked me, &quot;if I ask the waiter for some 'agua fria' would he bring me cold water?&quot; I said, &quot;sure - if we were in Spain, honey.&quot;

bronxzilla Nov 8th, 2005 03:55 AM

Walkin: It was a &quot;privatair&quot; flight run by lufthansa - so maybe the language requirements for the cabin crew are relaxed.

rex Nov 8th, 2005 06:04 AM

&lt;&lt;My dear DH (who had been trying to learn some words) asked me, &quot;if I ask the waiter for some 'agua fria' would he bring me cold water?&quot; I said, &quot;sure - if we were in Spain, honey.&quot;&gt;&gt;

This brings back a funny reminiscence of the same general nature. On the first lunch, arrival day, with some friends of my inlaws - - who do not hesitate to laughe at themselves over how language-challenged they are - - this wonderful Indiana &quot;country boy&quot; turned to me and asked...

&quot;How would i ask for some good red wine? - - &lt;&lt; <i><b>El dry-o?</b></i> ?&quot;

This was in Munich!

Sorta reminiscent of that old Catskills joke...

&quot;Such bad food!&quot;

(&quot;and such small portions!&quot;)

&lt;&lt; <i><b><font color="blue">rimshot...</font></b></i> &gt;&gt;

;)

Best wishes,

Rex

aggiemom Nov 8th, 2005 06:29 AM

Rex - lol!

bronxzilla Nov 8th, 2005 12:27 PM

<b>DORINT SOFITEL MUNICH</b>
The hotel was wonderful, but overdesigned in that way that only Europeans can really do -- 11 buttons in the bathroom controlling who-knows-what, lots of slate, translucent glass and a jenny holzer-style piece of word art on the wall. Lord knows what it said, and we all know how good my German is.

The room had a cool energy-saving gizmo, where you had to put your keycard in a slot to keep the lights on. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention when they explained it at check in, so I stumbled in to the room exhausted, stuck the keycard in my jacket, woke up after sundown for dinner, and couldn't figure out how to turn the lights on. Showered and shaved in the dark, and hit all 11 buttons in the bathroom hoping one of them would turn the lights on.

Next Installation: <b>Bavarian Marching Powder</b>

Barbara Nov 8th, 2005 02:35 PM

This is very funny, Peter. You're going to have a maitiatom-type following soon!

Scarlett Nov 8th, 2005 03:20 PM

LOl This is very funny, Peter.
I like to read about men having these problems too :D
(I thought it was only ladies who get trapped in bathrooms with no light in Europe)

FainaAgain Nov 8th, 2005 03:35 PM

Scarlett, here is an answer to all your thoughts and doubts:

Q: what gift can you get for a man who has everything?

A: get him a woman to show how to run it!

GreenEyedCatWoman Nov 10th, 2005 04:39 AM

Greatly enjoying this funny and cleverly written trip report.

We are breathlessly waiting to find out what &quot;Bavarian Marching Powder&quot; might be.

Is it something that will cure a skin condition?
OR
Is it something that tastes good with schnitzel?
OR
Is it something that actually causes one to march with/like the Bavarians?

More trip report please?

Voyager2006 Nov 10th, 2005 04:43 AM

Pulverized crab lice are the main ingredient..now all we need is &quot;that woman&quot; to show us how to &quot;run it.&quot;

FainaAgain Nov 16th, 2005 02:29 PM

Where is the next installment? Bronxzilla got tired of typing??