Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich trip, check my plans and tell me what you think (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-trip-check-my-plans-and-tell-me-what-you-think-858271/)

markk22 Sep 7th, 2010 06:53 AM

Munich trip, check my plans and tell me what you think

First time in Munich and I've set up the following plans for the wife and myself:
Arrive Sept 17 (Fri) Tour Munich maybe go to Andecks for some beer.
Sat- See the Oktoberfest parade and try to get into a tent! If no room them just see more of the city.
Sun.- Spend day at Oktoberfest
Mon.- Rent car and drive south, staying in Pinwald Aus for the next 2 nights. going to Mittenwald and up one of the Cable Cars. Hike up in the Alps a bit.
Tues - Fussen and castles, just spend time in the area sight seeing. Any suggestions???
Wed- Drive back to MUnich to drop off car and fly out.

Like I said this is our first trip so we don't want to over do it. Main reason to go was for Oktoberfest so anything else is just a plus. If anyone has better ideas please feel free to comment.
Thanks!

Hans Sep 7th, 2010 07:58 AM

If I came to Munich mainly for the Oktoberfest, I'd think about skipping the parade and move to the Wiesn early to maximize chances of getting into a tent. The Saturday is wild, if that's something you're interested in.

EmilyC Sep 7th, 2010 08:23 AM

Totally humbly disagree with the last poster. The O'fest parade is outstanding and not to be missed!

treplow Sep 7th, 2010 08:34 AM

Andechs: That's hard to get to unless you have a car. Even then, you have to allow at least one hour each way. Take the Autobahn A-96 (the Lindau autobahn) to exit #30 (Inning, 38 km from Munich city center). Head south to Herrsching and Andechs, about 18km.

Nowhere in my detailed atlases can I find Pinwald Austria. Thought I might be able to direct you there via Andechs.

Fuessen: About 23 km north of Fuessen, on the B-17 (Fuessen - Landsberg road) is Steingaden. Turn rigt there, following the signs to the Wieskirche; about 12km from Steingaden is this beautiful baroque church, standing in the meadows, as the name implies.

On your way back to Munich, go Mittenwald, Oberau (beginning of Garmisch - Munich autoban A-95). There head on the B-23 to Ettal (an abbey worth a stop), and then turn left, following ther signs to Lindethof. I personally like this little palace of King Ludwig better than Neuschwanstein. It is more indicative of King Ludwig's state of mind.

Go back to the B-23 and drive north past Oberammergau, and 29km out of Oberammergau turn right to fBad Kohlgrub, Murnau and the A-95 north to Munich.

Before Munich, to get to airport, take the A-99 Munich by-pass autobahn to the A-9 (Nuernberg autobahn), and follow the signs to the airport.

CarolJean Sep 7th, 2010 09:23 AM

I would go to the parade Sunday - the traditional parade. Since it is the 200th ann. it should be really great. I was there for the 175th and had never seen anything like it. Enjoy! Your plan looksgood to me. CJ

PalenQ Sep 7th, 2010 09:33 AM

try to get into a tent! If no room them just see more of the city.>

In several trips to Oktoberfest, including the hectic and fantastic opening weekend i have never found any of the several main tents that i could not get into - now finding a seat is another question but you can stand all day and night if you want - and that is what i prefer - being a solo traveler especially - moving from tent to tent to see the different decor, different oompah bands, etc.

And even in some tents during say mid-afternoon hours there were even seats.

markk22 Sep 7th, 2010 10:33 AM

Thanks for the replys all! Sorry I spelled the city in Austria wrong, its Pinswang.

Magster2005 Sep 7th, 2010 12:06 PM

Another vote for the Wieskirche. This is a favorite church of mine with an amazingly ornate rocco interior (a real surprise from the simple exterior) and a sweet position sitting in a meadow with the Alps in the background. Definitely worth a stop.

logos999 Sep 8th, 2010 09:29 AM

If you drive, don't drink ANY beer. You will be caught by police.

pja1 Sep 8th, 2010 03:27 PM

Andechs for a beer? That's quite a trip for a beer at Andechs. I'd stop at Andechs on the trip from Fuessen back to Munich, although you say "drive back to Munich to drop off car and fly out"... what time is your flight? You are returning the car at the airport, no?

By Fuessen and about a mile from Neuschwanstein is the Tegelbergbahn cable car and luge ride (Sommerrodelbahn). You can one or the other, or both. Try to see the Wieskirche while in the area.

www.andechs.de

www.tegelbergbahn.de/tegelbergbahn.html

www.wieskirche.de

Paul

pauljagman Sep 8th, 2010 05:05 PM

Thanks for the wieskirche link. I think at one time you could do 360 degree views of the church via the website. It is one of the most beautiful churchs I've ever been too. If you get a chance to see it, it's worth the stop. Supposedly the interior is painted to represent what heaven looks like. Good thing I went to see it 'cause that's probably the closest I'll ever get to heaven. :-)

pja1 Sep 8th, 2010 06:11 PM

You can do a 360 degree view of the church on the website. Go to "panoramic view" and after the page loads, click on the photo and move the mouse (up, down, to the sides) to see the entire inside of the church.

jscarbary Sep 8th, 2010 06:15 PM

We saw some of the parade on Saturday while walking through the city. We figured that we wouldn't be able to get close to see the tapping of the keg at the Wiesn so we did some site seeing during the morning/afternoon and headed to the fest around dinner. We just picked a tent and went to the side entrance (the line was shorter than at the front) and were able to get in the first night and had a BLAST.

We stopped at Ettal on our way from Munich to Fuessen. Saw the church and had lunch and enjoyed the local brew. After that we stopped at Linderhof. I also thought that this was worth seeing.